Lint-free cloth- suggestions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Anyone care to recommend a bulk-type box of lint free cloths? Using them to acetone-prep metals for powder coating.

Not feeling the microfiber ones. Prefer lab-grade if possible.

Don't know about a particular brand,  but I've bought them at big box hardware stores where they have paint and wood stain.  They did a good job for rubbing in a water based stain.  Not sure if you need something special due to the acetone.

Microfibre is synthetic , it probably starts to melt with acetone on it .
Try repurpose an old 100%cotton tshirt thats been through the wash hundreds of times ,it wont shed much . 

I think the old t-shirt is a good idea....I guess the frayed edges from cutting could shed.... I know you can get the cut up shirts as "rags" form the paint dept but you have to look closely at them because I've been burned getting some weird polyester blend that just about repelled any remover....it's random...

I have a stack of these little Costco Optical eyeglass wipes a customer gave me...Maybe I'll play with some stuff later to see what happens.... Not sure what they are made of but they don't shed afaik....

looking at some of the powder coating forums it seems torching is a popular step after wiping....

Not sure how smooth the surfaces are but I use swiffers quite a bit just in regular painting prep... They're quite good at getting stuff ....... to get lint is what I am referring to....... Not using to wipe acetone or apply paint!...lol

but a fairly rough surface would catch.....and tear them...

Thanks y'all.  These seem to be working nicely:

GyoX7dT.jpg

By the way I take the above back. It is mostly lint free.  Still get occasional strands on wiped-down material that are so fine you don't see them until dusted with powder coat.  :(

Back