check out this studio, all 1950's style recording

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when this studio was first launched. I have a video of it somewhere. I will see if I can find it. It has certainly changed quite a bit in that time.

There is no substitute for the vibe you get with a live recording.

Cheers

ian

I'm set up to run all live from various tube consoles if wanted, the thing is finding anyone who actually wants to do that.  There are studios that ONLY do that, so they attract that niche market more than a fuller service place like mine does, because of their undiluted marketing message.  I can't imagine ONLY doing that, or ONLY recoding to 2 track tape, or ONLY cutting acetates like many of those places do. 

My dad was a recording engineer for RCA records in NYC back in the 1950s. I visited his studio one Saturday morning back then but I was a young puke (<10 yo)  and don't remember much. The Saturday I visited my dad's techs were melting wax on microscope slides to look at the grooves made by the record lathe cutting heads. 

JR

EmRR said:
I'm set up to run all live from various tube consoles if wanted, the thing is finding anyone who actually wants to do that. 

Same with direct to disk recording. There aren’t too many who want to do it. I plan on setting up a mobile disk recording system. I have e everything I need. I need to restore the baby Neumann and make an inertia base for it. The reason I haven’t done it is that there is so little interest. I’ve offered to string cables to a studio in my building. No takers.

The lathe would also operate as the B system for record tricks. Like locked grooves, parallel grooves, true mono and other stuff. I don’t expect the live to disc to be used very much.

Gold said:
Same with direct to disk recording. There aren’t too many who want to do it. I plan on setting up a mobile disk recording system. I have e everything I need. I need to restore the baby Neumann and make an inertia base for it. The reason I haven’t done it is that there is so little interest. I’ve offered to string cables to a studio in my building. No takers.

The lathe would also operate as the B system for record tricks. Like locked grooves, parallel grooves, true mono and other stuff. I don’t expect the live to disc to be used very much.
Direct to disc was briefly popular in audiophile circles.

They already used tape recorders back in the 50s... (We had a 1/4" RCA tape recorder*** in my house while growing up).

I lost track of an acetate my father had, with Stokowski cursing out some symphony orchestra in Italian when they blew the take.  So perhaps some classical pieces were candidates for D to D back then.

JR

**** at least once, we tape recorded a family court session (review of chores and handing out punishments). My dad apparently cut an acetate from that tape. I have no idea why, perhaps because he could.  8)

I remember watching that video a few years ago . Very cool stuff. Great sound.

My friend Mike would give his left nut to have a setup like that. He loves the vintage sound, and using mic placement and such to get what he wants. And he's really good at it.

Crazy gear, crazy idea.

But I love the approach.

Best of it all, I think, is how often he repeated that the very first one-mike-only take sounded best :)

Ricardus said:
My friend Mike would give his left nut to have a setup like that. He loves the vintage sound, and using mic placement and such to get what he wants. And he's really good at it.

I can hook him up.  All it takes is money!

Latest posts

Back