Anyone ever seen a "PAS 800" power amplifier?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iampoor1

Looks like this was built in the mid 80s. Google search returns pretty much nothing. Anyone ever seen one of these and/or have any information?

https://imgur.com/gallery/OquyTs2?nid=935152700

I've seen lots of them go by. Never had one in my greasy paws...

These were quite popular over here. Solid build. Didn't fail a lot. DJ's in the 80's and early 90's were the target market.

Some of these were sold by what's now "JB systems". A local Belgian importer of decent Asian OEM gear. Sold under other brands too.

Still shows up on the second hand market and even yields a decent price. So somebody's still buying them.

cyrano said:
I've seen lots of them go by. Never had one in my greasy paws...

These were quite popular over here. Solid build. Didn't fail a lot. DJ's in the 80's and early 90's were the target market.

Some of these were sold by what's now "JB systems". A local Belgian importer of decent Asian OEM gear. Sold under other brands too.

Still shows up on the second hand market and even yields a decent price. So somebody's still buying them.

Very interesting! Looks very well built if it's an imported piece of gear. Looks like the Motorola power transistor is a custom part #, so they must have made a fair number of these. I haven't been able to find any eBay listings or references, which I though was pretty surprising.

cyrano said:
I guess made by one of the better OEM's in Japan, Taiwan or perhaps Korea?
Doesn't look the least bit Asian to me. Strong feel of US/Canada, with UK a possibility.

Yes, the fan is Japanese. It may be original or a replacement.

Korea was not a possibility when this brute was made. They were just transitioning from cheap copies of cheap Japanese pocket radios, to sub-contract manufacturing for Japan (and onward to eating all of Japan's lunch, foreshadowing China's rise).

Dunno...

In the 80's*, the cy. I worked for, imported a lot of quality phone equipment from an outfit called "TEAM", in Korea. They manufactured anything and everything, to specs. Fascinating. They'd make call recorders for say, six weeks and then transitioned the work-floor to teddybears. In one weekend.  8)

* communication by telex. Fax was brand new then.

This could be that OEM:

http://www.datasound.co.kr/

A bit of a gamble, there probably are others. I don't read Korean...  ::)

Back