Thicker PCBs .079" (2mm) or more

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

I have some projects that need thicker than the usual .062" (1.6mm) PCBs. My main concern is will the run of the mill fab houses deliver this without issue, or are the cheaper ones on auto-pilot and just do .062" unless you really stress the importance of it. Secondary concern is if this will cause any issue with pick and place SMT machines, do setup costs jump as a result.

john12ax7 said:
I have some projects that need thicker than the usual .062" (1.6mm) PCBs. My main concern is will the run of the mill fab houses deliver this without issue, or are the cheaper ones on auto-pilot and just do .062" unless you really stress the importance of it. Secondary concern is if this will cause any issue with pick and place SMT machines, do setup costs jump as a result.
you should get what you order... uncommon thickness will likely be more expensive.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
you should get what you order... uncommon thickness will likely be more expensive.

JR

Certainly true with higher end fab houses.  But wondering how well the same applies with the cheaper online only type places,  QC can be all over the map.

john12ax7 said:
Certainly true with higher end fab houses.  But wondering how well the same applies with the cheaper online only type places,  QC can be all over the map.
If it makes you feel better to pay more than do it...

I have used the cheapo houses for prototypes and found them serviceable, one time out of many there was a slight foil adhesion issue but still not a problem for prototyping. For production quantities maybe vet them better. 

JR

Latest posts

Back