stir-crazy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

coved related but not wanting to discuss in the coved thread.

I noticed so many people who are claiming stir-crazy with some of the shelter in place things asked of us. However these are the same folks who wouldn't be out normally at such hours if no such orders were being asked. 

Trying to appreciate the circumstances as ideal, given my past laziness. Got no choice now but to fill these hours up with project work.

Of course I worry about all the young and old who are high risk, all the personalities and vocational types who can't deal with cabin fever or who are at a loss as to how to keep their income flowing. 

But trying to locate blessings inside the curse,  hasn't the average diy-er been gifted with forced isolation-- a natural requirement of the creative process?

It affects people when they feel their choice is being taken away.  Let them choose and they become creatures of habit.

I remember a teacher commenting about assigned seating in school.  Assigned seating made taking attendance easier but kids complained about it.  When they were allowed to sit whenever they want,  they settled into sitting in the same seats everyday.

A new word has entered the English language "coronaidiots". With the pleasant weather over the weekend here in the UK the "coronaidiots" have been out in droves flooding the beaches, parks and beauty spots and completely ignoring social distancing advice. I guess these are the same people who spend the rest of their time queuing outside supermarkets for bog roll.

Keep well and stay safe in

Ian

I live about a mile from the local town centre , in the other direction is over 650 acres of farmland . In the last week or so  Ive been reducing  my trips into town  to only whats absolutely necessary , instead now I do a generous country mile with my dogs up on the farm every day , theres no occupied dwellings or people within at least a half mile in all directions .  While staying home might well be the best advice for people living in built up areas and especially cities ,its probably over the top for people with empty countryside on their door step .

The one thing Im really enjoying about all this is the peace and quiet and lack of ambient noise from human activity ,traffic especially . Its springtime and the black birds and thrushes are in full voice.  Their symphony in all its glory is a true pleasure to behold ,its business as usual for them .

I just hope that the fools who think their invincible to this virus dont wind up getting us all put on lockdown ,
In any case there's very little going to stop me from jumping the gate and getting back to nature .

For the city dwellers among us suffering 'cage rage' maybe get back to discovering music how it was supposed to be  and play an unknown album from start to finish . Unfortunately the people addicted  to 'anxiety' meds  are placing a huge load on already over burdened health services. 

ruffrecords said:
A new word has entered the English language "coronaidiots". With the pleasant weather over the weekend here in the UK the "coronaidiots" have been out in droves flooding the beaches, parks and beauty spots and completely ignoring social distancing advice. I guess these are the same people who spend the rest of their time queuing outside supermarkets for bog roll.

Keep well and stay safe in

Ian

what is a bog roll? I assume it is what we call toilet paper here in America, you know the paper you use to wipe your backside after you do your business in the loo.  I rather like the word bog roll,  it makes me laugh.

pucho812 said:
what is a bog roll? I assume it is what we call toilet paper here in America, you know the paper you use to wipe your backside after you do your business in the loo.  I rather like the word bog roll,  it makes me laugh.
The colloquial British word for the toilet is the bog - roughly equivalent to the john in the USA. So a bog roll is a toilet roll.

No idea where bog originated. Where did john originate??

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:

Bog is a synonym for swamp in American English. When you have a sweaty butt we say you have "swamp ass". Dirty smelly and wet.

> Where did john originate??

John Harrington ....devised Britain’s first flushing toilet, which he called the “Ajax”.  This derived from the term “Jakes”, which was a slang term for what we now call a toilet.
Shortly thereafter, Harrington wrote one of his more famous and popular works titled “A New Discourse upon a Stale Subject: The Metamorphosis of Ajax”.  This, on the surface, was about his new invention, but more to the point was a political allegory on the “stercus” (excrement) that was poisoning the state.  The book itself got him banished from the court for a time due to its allusions to the Earl of Leicester.  However, the actual flushing toilet device itself was real and was installed in his home and later one was made for the queen around 1596.  The device worked by pulling a cord that would allow water to rush in from the “water closet”, which would flush away the waste.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/08/why-the-toilet-is-sometimes-called-a-john/
https://www.exclassics.com/ajax/ajaxintr.htm

ruffrecords said:
The colloquial British word for the toilet is the bog - roughly equivalent to the john in the USA. So a bog roll is a toilet roll.

Cheers

Ian
The  inventor of the indoor flush toilet was Sir John Harrington. Slang called it a Jake or cousin John.

JR

I think it’s a good time to turn inward, spend some time in self reflection or meditation....

And for the stir crazy people.... if you can’t stand to be alone with yourself for a little while think about how hard it is for everyone else to be around you the rest of the time...  ;)

Seeker said:
I think it’s a good time to turn inward, spend some time in self reflection or meditation...

I was just thinking about this  and actually told my neighbor today about the exercises you linked a while back....
Love it! Worth mentioning again for sure....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCaZQqAs9I

Im lucky in that Ive never shied away from introspection and spent plenty of time wandering through the canyons and recesses of my mind . Some people keep themselves nose to the grindstone  trying to avoid looking inwards ,only to realise after retirement they have neglected this aspect of themselves for an entire lifetime . It can be hard for people to change habits laid  down over decades with cracks lightly papered over , no time like the present though .

scott2000 said:
I was just thinking about this  and actually told my neighbor today about the exercises you linked a while back....
Love it! Worth mentioning again for sure....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCaZQqAs9I

I'm glad you like Wim's breathing exercises!  I do the cold showers now as well, something I never thought I'd do but the breathing convinced me to try it...  The breathing offers some immunity boosting benefits, and might help a lot of people who end up getting Sars-CoV-2, esp since pneumonia is one of the biggest complications.

Tubetec said:
Im lucky in that Ive never shied away from introspection and spent plenty of time wandering through the canyons and recesses of my mind . Some people keep themselves nose to the grindstone  trying to avoid looking inwards ,only to realise after retirement they have neglected this aspect of themselves for an entire lifetime . It can be hard for people to change habits laid  down over decades with cracks lightly papered over , no time like the present though .

I've found that the more attention I pay inwardly, the better my life gets outwardly as well... I can understand the difficulties that people who have never worked at quieting their mind can struggle with, when I was in my early 20's my mind was chaotic and so was my life.  For a while I looked for answers in all the wrong places... If you are only looking at the external things in life it can be pretty disappointing sometimes... life is much more pleasant for me these days, and I think for those around me as well.  Maybe some good can come out of this if people use this time away from the rest of life for a little introspection, meditation etc. 

Latest posts

Back