Chassis Clamp for Power Resistor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComodoComplex

Hey all,

See attached image. I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist as a mass-produced product, but if it does I'd love to know about it! If it in fact doesn't, I'd love to hear your thoughts about how to make one in a more elegant fashion than I did...

Background:
I'm using a 10W 470-ohm resistor in place of a 5Y3 in a Filmosound 385-style circuit, and I decided to go with these new-fangled radial resistors to save on board space and also give it that tube-like functionality as a swappable component (could use different values to get varying amounts of sag). I'm using PCB socket pins to grab the resistor leads, but I found that a clamp on the chassis is needed for additional stability and to make sure this component doesn't get torqued out/broken. It is very similar to can-cap mounts -- except that no one seems to make them.

Thanks!
-Ben

Attachments

• AEFC3586-7136-4467-9FA1-C883F12F10B9_1_105_c.jpeg
    AEFC3586-7136-4467-9FA1-C883F12F10B9_1_105_c.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 37
Or you could get one of these type [1]:

RH_series.jpg

mounted on the inside with bolts through to a heat sink on the outside. Note that the power rating of these depend on being mounted to a heat sing with suitable dissipation. Something chunky with fins will work best.

[1] Vishay RH010500R0FE02

Back