1:5 mic pre input transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassDan

GDIY Supporter
Okay guys. I'm really liking the sound of the Cinemag 1:5 mic pre input transformer on my tube preamp. It seems to be middle of the road in terms of hi-fi with a hint of coloration.

Just out of curiosity, do you all have any other 1:5 recommendations? For example, going in both directions toward either neutral or colored. It would be nice to have a couple options for either super-fast transients versus big, fat vintage.

Anything that's off the beaten path and lesser known? Would need to be modern production and available.

Jensen makes the JT-13k7-A. They also make a 1:4.8 input called JT-13k6-c.

Edcor makes a 1:5. No can on that one. You’d have to shield it yourself.

Sowter has one or two as well, One is a 1+1:5 (9045).

OEP may have one, Never bought any of their stuff.

As far as modern production, “off the beaten path”, I got nothin.

Here's a different one for you, Dan. Check out the post in Magnetics about the A-10 clone from Crimson. They can customize a 1:5 based on the A-10 design for about $75 in singles. Probably cheaper in quantity.

You could also check out their standard input. I think 1:10 and 1:8 are stock options, but I'm betting 1:5 would be the same price.

Just a thought

rackmonkey said:
Here's a different one for you, Dan. Check out the post in Magnetics about the A-10 clone from Crimson. They can customize a 1:5 based on the A-10 design for about $75 in singles. Probably cheaper in quantity.

You could also check out their standard input. I think 1:10 and 1:8 are stock options, but I'm betting 1:5 would be the same price.

Just a thought

That does seem very interesting. Thanks for the lead!

Back