covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, markets are flooded with printed money in many forms (helicopter, corporate tax rebates, private tax payment delays, household helicopter money, state bonds... you name it, it's all being discussed). Difference to Lehman crisis is that this time money will be not exclusively for banks but also for companies and people.

What we'll see is inflation finally kicking in -- I'd assume harder than most central banks have agreed is desirable (i.e., probably higher than the holy grail of 2%), which can be bad or good, depending on the viewpoint.
----------
Meanwhile, Europe has a hard time keeping their gig together. And I read that northern EU countries rejected the idea of corona bonds (asked for by hard-hit Spain the other day).

China seems eager to slowly fill a void that especially American inernational politics has allowed to appear due to bias to concentrate on itself. Again this can be good or bad.

And as for Japan, they would have to take a triple hit : already slowing down world economy, postponement of Olympics, and then the massive drop in domestic household spending due to the VAT hike from 8 to 10 percent late last year.
-----------
Apart from that, there are more and more private people in Japan who simply do not understand why Tokyo and Osaka are still not under wider lockdown due to health emergency. So far it is all 'requests' only, which works to some extant here. But schools are still scheduled to restart in a few days. Exciting days ahead... ...

Yeah, Japanese people are generally more vigilant (not fearful !) than elsewhere in the world, and they are often described as obedient, but again it's rather vigilance. There are many voices saying, "Please shut it all down now, what are you waiting for?" -- Mind you, Japan's population has more than 20% of people aged 65+, so it's set for getting really ugly very quickly. But then again, it all depends on the viewpoint, doesn't it...  :-\ :'(

Script said:
Well, markets are flooded with printed money in many forms (helicopter, corporate tax rebates, private tax payment delays, household helicopter money, state bonds... you name it, it's all being discussed). Difference to Lehman crisis is that this time money will be not exclusively for banks but also for companies and people.
Lehman was a credit crisis that IMO we never fully recovered from.  Free money is always politically popular with low information voters, but there is no such thing as free money.
What we'll see is inflation finally kicking in -- I'd assume harder than most central banks have agreed is desirable (i.e., probably higher than the holy grail of 2%), which can be bad or good, depending on the viewpoint.
----------
inflation has been long predicted and still missing... there are still deflationary forces that must be avoided. Many people hope for some inflation... $20 oil is not going to do that.
Meanwhile, Europe has a hard time keeping their gig together. And I read that northern EU countries rejected the idea of corona bonds (asked for by hard-hit Spain the other day).
The whole premise was free movement/trade between open borders and a central government in Brussels to take care of the hard stuff.... So far it looks like nations are back to restricting travel across their borders and looking out for themselves. Of course I cannot predict the future, this does not look like a win for EU experiment from where I sit.
China seems eager to slowly fill a void that especially American inernational politics has allowed to appear due to bias to concentrate on itself. Again this can be good or bad.
China is trying to polish the turd they dropped on the world... Every nation is working in their own self interest including China. After the dust settles they will have some serious splainin to do. For now the world is busy dealing with a deadly pandemic. 
And as for Japan, they would have to take a triple hit : already slowing down world economy, postponement of Olympics, and then the massive drop in domestic household spending due to the VAT hike from 8 to 10 percent late last year.
-----------
Apart from that, there are more and more private people in Japan who simply do not understand why Tokyo and Osaka are still not under wider lockdown due to health emergency. So far it is all 'requests' only, which works to some extant here. But schools are still scheduled to restart in a few days. Exciting days ahead... ...
there are cultural differences that inform every government's specific response. I am not smart enough to speculate about Japan's. I have heard criticism of the government's response to 2011 earthquake/tsunami and Fukushima meltdown. Not sure what if anything there was to be learned from that. 
Yeah, Japanese people are generally more vigilant (not fearful !) than elsewhere in the world, and they are often described as obedient, but again it's rather vigilance. There are many voices saying, "Please shut it all down now, what are you waiting for?" -- Mind you, Japan's population has more than 20% of people aged 65+, so it's set for getting really ugly very quickly. But then again, it all depends on the viewpoint, doesn't it...  :-\ :'(
Good luck, seriously... The threat to an aged demographic is pretty apparent, while COVID19 can kill young people too.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
China is trying to polish the turd they dropped on the world...

Since "dropping a turd" is a concious act (for people) what you are implying here is, that China intentionally released the virus. Is that really what you wanted to say?

living sounds said:
Since "dropping a turd" is a concious act (for people) what you are implying here is, that China intentionally released the virus. Is that really what you wanted to say?
Please STOP trying to twist my words...  :mad:

To be clear, since apparently you desire clarification  ::) In my judgement the Chinese government grossly mishandled the coronavirus crisis... If they were honest with the rest of the world about the human to human transmission when they first learned about it, they could have prevented the loss of many thousands (millions?) of lives around the world.  Are you still confused about what I meant?

JR

PS: I do not consciously "intend" to drop turds, they pretty much inform me when they are ready to leave the area. Please keep your sad conspiracy theories to yourself.

JohnRoberts said:
In my judgement the Chinese government grossly mishandled the coronavirus crisis... If they were honest with the rest of the world about the human to human transmission when they first learned about it, they could have prevented the loss of many thousands (millions?) of lives around the world.

We have a president that was publicly calling the coronavirus a hoax when this information was available. Fact, not a judgement. It would appear we "one-upped" the Chinese government as far as gross mishandling goes... and Republican governors are still being asses. Wyoming governor said stay-at-home order was unnecessary and the state public health director came up behind him immediately thereafter at the same lectern and stated that the state would run out of PPE supplies in a matter of weeks IF the stay-at-home order was enacted. America is going to be best at something, that's for sure. You can't make this stuff up.

Pelosi delayed the $2.2T for her personal goals!
but that not idot_ism if u r Trump hater  ;D ;D ;D

dirty assTrump haters can take a hike  8)

[there fixed it for you...  JR ]

Because I can't help myself, I was watching Tipping Point with Liz Wheeler on OAN. She was complaining that Planned Parenthood was deemed an essential business and churches were not... but she said abortion clinics. Abortion services are a SMALL percentage of what this organization does. Stupid argument. Health services vs. large gatherings for adult Santa Claus. The religious right never ceases to flee from logic. Stay home. Give healthcare systems a chance to deal with this issue. Please speak out against stupidity in this time of crisis.

JohnRoberts said:
Please STOP trying to twist my words...  :mad:

To be clear, since apparently you desire clarification  ::) In my judgement the Chinese government grossly mishandled the coronavirus crisis... If they were honest with the rest of the world about the human to human transmission when they first learned about it, they could have prevented the loss of many thousands (millions?) of lives around the world.  Are you still confused about what I meant?

JR

PS: I do not consciously "intend" to drop turds, they pretty much inform me when they are ready to leave the area. Please keep your sad conspiracy theories to yourself.

No confusion here on my part. iturnknobs pointed out the inconsistencies in your arguments, my advice would be to try for less passive-agressive defensiveness and more self-reflection.

fallout said:
Do we? Let's stick with the facts.
My bad. He called it the Democratic hoax, essentially. He's got a way with words. How's that Democrat HOAX going? Oh, there's more light reading about his "inaccuracies" in the article I posted a link for. You're not helping your argument, or society.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/17/politics/fact-check-trump-always-knew-pandemic-coronavirus/index.html

Forgot link.

kambo said:

When this bill was stalled in the Senate, I contacted both of my Democratic senators in writing. I said that I agreed with the oversight and transparency for the money provided to large corporations. I said that attaching other unrelated provisions to this bill(enviromental and others) was not appropriate in time of crisis and that they needed to cut the sh*t. That is almost verbatim. Some of Pelosi's sticking points were not just for her, but the good of our earth and society. Timing was really bad, though. So you're fighting against that and oversight for funding that future generations will have to pay back?  I contacted my leaders in writing during crisis in the biggest stimulus/rescue package to date in our country. You?Breitbart is missing a troll over in their comments sections.

Tokyo prefectural schools today announced to stay closed until after Golden week in May. All other schools on city levels as well as private ones are left to decide for themselves, depending on Cv19 case in areas. But this being Japan, they are very likely to follow suit -- call it group mentality.

iturnknobs said:
My bad. He called it the Democratic hoax, essentially. He's got a way with words. How's that Democrat HOAX going? Oh, there's more light reading about his "inaccuracies" in the article I posted a link for. You're not helping your argument, or society.

Give me a break. The dems and media are absolutely politicizing the crisis.

You have no idea what i do or don't do for society, don't project.

edited: playing nice

iturnknobs said:
We have a president that was publicly calling the coronavirus a hoax when this information was available. Fact, not a judgement.
Another of those false facts....

President Trump likened the opposition response to his handling of COVID19  "Their new hoax", he did not call the coronavirus a hoax... When claiming facts try to get them straight.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/
It would appear we "one-upped" the Chinese government as far as gross mishandling goes...
As has been well discussed here, the original roll out of the test kits was mishandled, since then the government and private industry have stepped up their game.
and Republican governors are still being asses. Wyoming governor said stay-at-home order was unnecessary and the state public health director came up behind him immediately thereafter at the same lectern and stated that the state would run out of PPE supplies in a matter of weeks IF the stay-at-home order was enacted.
I do not follow how state would run out of PPE supplies if stay-at-home order is enacted? It seems that would reduce spread .

Wyoming is not very densely populated and have a fraction the number of cases we do in MS.... (there are now 2 cases in my county). Wyoming has not done as many tests as even we have. Test availability is still limited but getting better with every passing day.

wyo dept of health advice said:
Recommendations
Stay home when sick and avoid contact with other people unless you need medical attention.
Follow advice from CDC on what to do if you think you may be sick.
Follow current public health orders.
Follow common-sense steps such as washing your hands often and well; covering your coughs and sneezes; and cleaning and disinfecting.
Nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other healthcare facilities should closely follow guidelines for infection control and prevention.
Older people and those with health conditions that mean they have a higher chance of getting seriously ill should avoid close-contact situations.
America is going to be best at something, that's for sure. You can't make this stuff up.
Some people still do....

JR

living sounds said:
No confusion here on my part. iturnknobs pointed out the inconsistencies in your arguments, my advice would be to try for less passive-agressive defensiveness and more self-reflection.
and my advice remains stop trying to twist my words...

JR

kambo said:

Stop already... we will continue to have civil discussions here....  Calling people names just hardens their positions and closes their minds to new thoughts.

JR

fallout said:
Give me a break. The dems and media are absolutely politicizing the crisis. Get over yourself.

You have no idea what i do or don't do for society, don't project.

Oh wow.. Just checked to see what you're all about 'iturnknobs'. Looks like reddit is missing part of their echo chamber.
lets stick to facts....  and not get personal, while that is an early sign of losing any debate.

This thread is to talk "about" politics wrt COVID19, not to spew out politics..... a different thing. We already get enough political speech from media.

JR

WARNING... several members are flirting dangerously close with breaking the no ad hominem rule...

We are in the silly season of a presidential campaign, and political enmity is high and getting worse.  We are better than that, please behave.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back