covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnRoberts said:
I just did a search... first hit was Buffalo, second was Baltimore, LA coonasses didn't show up until 3rd... But maybe rural people moved to those big cities...

There are dumbasses everywhere...

JR

John, could you clarify what you mean by "LA coonasses"?

Scodiddly said:
It was intended by me as a term of endearment reserved for some cajun residents of rural Louisiana.... while some consider it an insult.. You can start more fist fights when the same word can be taken as an insult too.  ::) Probably depends on who said it. They routinely call themselves that but might not appreciate a stranger (like me) calling them that. 

The LA legislature condemned use of the word in the 80s, the LA air national guard tactical fighter group referred to itself as the "coonass militia" (until 1992).  Word may be derived from the french "conasse" (a pegorative).

wiki said:
The title "Coonass Militia" was changed to "Cajun Militia" in 1992, and subsequently changed to "Bayou Militia" in the late 1990s.

JR

PS: Not to be confused with the "cajun navy"  which is an impromptu group of neighbors using their fishing boats to assist other neighbors during flooding events.

Scodiddly said:

I actually went to wikipedia on this.  The term refers to cajuns, and I assume the LA here is Louisiana and not Los Angeles.  The etymology of the term indicates there might not be any racist undertones.  It is, apparently, a term that was originally derogatory but that has been embraced by the folks it refers to. 

hodad said:
I actually went to wikipedia on this.  The term refers to cajuns, and I assume the LA here is Louisiana and not Los Angeles.  The etymology of the term indicates there might not be any racist undertones.  It is, apparently, a term that was originally derogatory but that has been embraced by the folks it refers to.
Like redneck or the N' word, that shall never be mentioned, it is OK for me to call myself a red neck, but if you call me a redneck that could be fighting words.  ;D

JR

JohnRoberts said:
It was intended by me as a term of endearment reserved for some cajun residents of rural Louisiana.... while some consider it an insult.. You can start more fist fights when the same word can be taken as an insult too.  ::) Probably depends on who said it. They routinely call themselves that but might not appreciate a stranger (like me) calling them that. 

Thanks - that's an odd one I hadn't heard before.

Am I the only one paying any attention to the US govt.  commandeering supplies destined for states or private customers?  It would actually make some sense if the feds seemed to have a sane and logical distribution plan, but sane and logical seem to be right out the window.  Not to mention, these supplies seem to be headed to private distributors, who according to reports are selling to the highest bidder rather than supplying areas with most need.  This is all very nebulous at the moment (which is problem #1, really), but it all sounds quite shady and counterproductive if our goal here is to fight an epidemic.  (Details are starting to ooze out--there's a fresh article in the NYT I haven't read yet.  It all sounds incredibly effed up.)

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-details-on-airlifts-and-supply-seizures

scott2000 said:
US government reportedly in talks with tech companies on how to use location data in COVID-19 fight
https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/17/u-s-government-reportedly-in-talks-with-tech-companies-on-how-to-use-location-data-in-covid-19-fight/

Guess I missed this....

Don't know what's creepier...

Derbyshire police urge people not to visit Peak District under coronavirus lockdown rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNxDzLsPeg

Welsh town uses drone to urge people to stay at home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4GEZjUTkqc
So Korea the poster boy for doing this right(?) uses location data, for contact tracing...  I asked about this before. Probably unconstitutional without consent.

JR 

hodad said:
Am I the only one paying any attention to the US govt.  commandeering supplies destined for states or private customers?  It would actually make some sense if the feds seemed to have a sane and logical distribution plan, but sane and logical seem to be right out the window.  Not to mention, these supplies seem to be headed to private distributors, who according to reports are selling to the highest bidder rather than supplying areas with most need.  This is all very nebulous at the moment (which is problem #1, really), but it all sounds quite shady and counterproductive if our goal here is to fight an epidemic.  (Details are starting to ooze out--there's a fresh article in the NYT I haven't read yet.  It all sounds incredibly effed up.)

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-details-on-airlifts-and-supply-seizures

i feel the same, but thats how US is set up unfortunately!

i have never seen as hard working people as US people. most have 2-3 jobs to survive in regular
none_pandemic times! and they dont complaint a bit... they all wanna give better future for their kids!

i just cant get my head around how this crapted 2 political parties running the country the way they want in their terms, and public letting them do it so!

JohnRoberts said:
I just did a search... first hit was Buffalo, second was Baltimore, LA coonasses didn't show up until 3rd... But maybe rural people moved to those big cities...

There are dumbasses everywhere...

JR

I would ASSume that this is because people near populated areas are more likely to raise a "stink" when something like this is occurring so close to them. I highly doubt my father-in-law has stopped attending services 3 times a week in the Baptist double wide in central, rural Tennessee. I wouldn't know(ASSuming, I am aware). I stopped trying to have conversations with him after a museum visit. The skeleton/fossil we were viewing was approximately 600,000 years old. He told me that it could be 6,000 years old, at best, because of the Bible's verses/timeline and that the liberals and atheists all conspired together to denounce God. That type of mentality is dictating behavior concerning this pandemic, and one guess at his political affiliation...

Your last sentence was spot on. It's just unfortunate that they generally fall on one side of the political divide.

iturnknobs said:
I would ASSume that this is because people near populated areas are more likely to raise a "stink" when something like this is occurring so close to them. I highly doubt my father-in-law has stopped attending services 3 times a week in the Baptist double wide in central, rural Tennessee. I wouldn't know(ASSuming, I am aware). I stopped trying to have conversations with him after a museum visit. The skeleton/fossil we were viewing was approximately 600,000 years old. He told me that it could be 6,000 years old, at best, because of the Bible's verses/timeline and that the liberals and atheists all conspired together to denounce God. That type of mentality is dictating behavior concerning this pandemic, and one guess at his political affiliation...

Your last sentence was spot on. It's just unfortunate that they generally fall on one side of the political divide.
OK here is another anecdote you may find stereotypical and amusing.  Back when I was still reading a local paper once a week (on sundays, it had comics). I found myself compelled to write a letter to the editor disputing another LTE claiming that teaching evolution in the schools was responsible for the breakdown in family values, respect for teachers, etc. I responded strongly that evolution was established science and children should be taught that in schools, to prepare them for the real world. 

A day or two later my home phone rang and an upset caller was in distress because my letter to the editor disagreed with what his religious leader taught him and he hoped I would explain. I quickly calculated that I did not want to become his replacement religious inspiration (answer man) and told him to disregard me and follow his own church's advice.  :eek:

====
I expect many people these days are scared by the doom and gloom media making them desperate for social support and comfort such as a church group meeting might offer, some religious leaders may selfishly seize upon this opportunity to expand their flock.   

In the newspaper I have seen reports of curbside palm sunday services, and even taking confessions through a car window, so most responsible people (even religious leaders) are trying to flatten the curve with social distancing.

My point is that there are dumbasses everywhere and I am weary of insulting stereotypes about fly over rural voters "clutching  guns and bibles".  While I expect my neighbors do have both more guns and more bibles around than your neighbors.

JR 

Hearing some new reports about collusion between WHO and China, suppressing reports about human to human transmission and scope of the viral outbreak.  These weeks of delay prevented containing the outbreak and avoiding worldwide pandemic.

I am not surprised to hear that a UN agency is corrupt, but this complicit behavior resulted in many deaths already and the death toll is still climbing. It is too late to fix it for this cycle, but we need to clean house (disinfect) there before the next one.

With exponential viral infection growth functions timely and reliable data is important. The WHO could have saved lives (it's mission) , instead it did the opposite.

JR

Wisconsin today:

Primary elections and the election for one of their own(Republican held Supreme Court) are being held today. Most rural election locations are open. There are reports that FIVE of 180 voting locations are open in Milwaukee. I'm sure that will be a fair representation of the people's choice. SHAME ON the USA.

iturnknobs said:
Wisconsin today:

Primary elections and the election for one of their own(Republican held Supreme Court) are being held today. Most rural election locations are open. There are reports that FIVE of 180 voting locations are open in Milwaukee. I'm sure that will be a fair representation of the people's choice. SHAME ON the USA.

Come on - this bothsidesism is ridiculous.  SHAME ON the Republicans. This was 100% by them. Residents of WI have been watching this play out for a couple weeks.
The Democratic Governor opened a special emergency session last week because holding an in-person election would be highly dangerous during this pandemic.  The Republican legislature refused to consider options - immediately closing the special session with no debate.
Therefore, Gov Evers wrote an executive order yesterday to extend mail in ballots by a week and not have in-person voting today.
The WI Supreme Court overturned the order last night followed by the US Supreme court - both in partisan decisions - SCOTUS decision was 5-4 Republican appointees.  Note that both court decisions came without in-person arguments - the judges did not meet in person for the decision while ruling that ordinary voters must go to the polls during a pandemic (unless they had requested a mail in ballot weeks ago)
This is a Republican efforts to disenfranchise voters and a power grab of the court seat that is up for election today in WI.

dmp said:
Come on - this bothsidesism is ridiculous.  SHAME ON the Republicans. This was 100% by them. Residents of WI have been watching this play out for a couple weeks.
The Democratic Governor opened a special emergency session last week because holding an in-person election would be highly dangerous during this pandemic.  The Republican legislature refused to consider options - immediately closing the special session with no debate.
Therefore, Gov Evers wrote an executive order yesterday to extend mail in ballots by a week and not have in-person voting today.
The WI Supreme Court overturned the order last night followed by the US Supreme court - both in partisan decisions - SCOTUS decision was 5-4 Republican appointees.  Note that both court decisions came without in-person arguments - the judges did not meet in person for the decision while ruling that ordinary voters must go to the polls during a pandemic (unless they had requested a mail in ballot weeks ago)
This is a Republican efforts to disenfranchise voters and a power grab of the court seat that is up for election today in WI.

I thought the election was postponed to June?

be safe.

JR
[edit- overruled by state courts... This does not sound very wise....  /edit]

Wisconsin Primary election is today.
There was an idea to move it to June - I think the Gov proposed that.

Unless you already got a mail in ballot, Republicans are forcing people to go to the polls (or not vote)
Hard to be safe.

dmp said:
Wisconsin Primary election is today.
There was an idea to move it to June - I think the Gov proposed that.

Unless you already got a mail in ballot, Republicans are forcing people to go to the polls (or not vote)
Hard to be safe.
The cut off for mail in ballots was last thursday... I have not been following this, and thought it was postponed.

The primary seems to be over except for some last minute surprise from a brokered convention (Cuomo ? but too soon to speculate about that).

Stay safe,,, avoid crowds... 

I worry a little about election workers that generally skew to the older end of the age spectrum.

JR

@ iturnwhatever.... this was probably decided on points of law not fairness.

There is an important WI supreme court seat on the ballot, Kelly (R) vs Karofsky (D)

Republicans are trying to win the seat with this

dmp said:
There is an important WI supreme court seat on the ballot, Kelly (R) vs Karofsky (D)

Republicans are trying to win the seat with this
I am not sure I want to know, but does delaying the vote, help the democrats?

Politics is what politicians do... for better and worse, mostly worse.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Hearing some new reports about collusion between WHO and China, suppressing reports about human to human transmission and scope of the viral outbreak. 
JR
Any reliable documentation, or just more conspiracy bullsh it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back