covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
scott2000 said:
A small local church here is having a Drive In Easter service... Guess they will have a transmitter set up so people can tune their car radios to the service.... happening in the parking lot......
I'll bet drive in movies could make a comeback if this persists. One in TX was doing well but they had to shut down because of governor's stay at home order.

JR

I am not a fan of dropping helicopter money, and truly hope this does not become the new normal expected response from government (but it probably will).

The loans you are seeing are the tip of the ice berg, central banks are intervening in bond market, etc.

JR

Because US testing response was so freaking good, federal support for coronavirus testing sites ends on Friday. 
Testing has barely been established in the US & Trump and the idiot brigade are closing up shop (at least partially), undoubtedly patting themselves on the back for a job well done. 

This disease is not going away, and testing is one of the most crucial weapons in fighting it.  This notion that it's time to fold up the tents and go home is insane, but that's what the Trump people are pushing these days.  Happy Days Are Here Again,  blah blah blah. 

They don't learn, these people.  They don't want to learn.  Learning might get in the way of their being disgusting human beings.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/08/829955099/federal-support-for-coronavirus-testing-sites-end-as-peak-nears?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=atc&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20200408

hodad said:
Because US testing response was so freaking good, federal support for coronavirus testing sites ends on Friday. 
Testing has barely been established in the US & Trump and the idiot brigade are closing up shop (at least partially), undoubtedly patting themselves on the back for a job well done. 
cute
This disease is not going away, and testing is one of the most crucial weapons in fighting it.
true
  This notion that it's time to fold up the tents and go home is insane, but that's what the Trump people are pushing these days.  Happy Days Are Here Again,  blah blah blah. 
not true
They don't learn, these people.  They don't want to learn.  Learning might get in the way of their being disgusting human beings.
dark and scary place...
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/08/829955099/federal-support-for-coronavirus-testing-sites-end-as-peak-nears?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=atc&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20200408
abbot is ramping up production on their 5 minute test to 50k a day, but in a country of 300M that is a drop in the bucket... we need more like 100x that and self test capability, like pregnancy tests.

I somehow doubt the feds have decided that testing is unnecessary , while the make shift test setups were probably more to look like they were doing something, then really effective. Of course people were disappointed when that particular money flow stopped.

Getting some glimmers of optimism from NY state about flattening the curve.

On downside there are a handful of reports about recovered covid patients testing positive again... Unclear that these are not outlier testing errors. We are still learning.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
On downside there are a handful of reports about recovered covid patients testing positive again... Unclear that these are not outlier testing errors. We are still learning.

JR

according to doctors in Turkey
"this virus is staying with you 29 25 days" regardless of u have no symptom, light, med, heavy or hospitalized  level of sickness!

edit:  25 days, not 29

kambo said:
according to doctors in Turkey
"this virus is staying with you 29 days" regardless of u have no symptom, light, med, heavy or hospitalized  level of sickness!
Do you mean contagious for 29 days after recovered?

I have heard reports about shedding virus for weeks after symptoms subside, but what about symptomless infections?

A vaccine or two would really be nice... I wonder if the same hollyweird screwballs will argue that the vaccine is unhealthy.  :eek:

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Do you mean contagious for 29 days after recovered?

JR

sorry, its 25 days (will edit  original post) ...
no its from the day u pick up the virus...

greens are recovery, or immune system etc...
dots lines  over chart lines are  contagious time...
its from 14 days to 25 days, depends on case...
bottom case is hospitalized, with death, or recovery result...  time line may not make sense  from the pic...
but when listen, makes sense...

edit:
yellow :  no symptom
orange : symptoms are on
purle : hospitalized
bottom purple: ICU
green : recovery, or immune 
bottom right corner : death or recovery

edit  2 :
top line 30%  : no symtoms
second from top : 55% : light
third from top : 10% : hospital
bottom : 5% : ICU

Attachments

• c19.jpg
    c19.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 8
i am no graphic person.... but should be more clear idea

Attachments

• c9-2.png
    c9-2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
so in delightfully political news, the feds confiscated a shipment of 500 ventilators bound for Colorado, and then made a big show of giving them back 100 of them (with Trump using it as an opportunity to talk up endangered Republican Colorado senator Cory Gardner).  Insane bullsh!t. 

January 28th, folks, is when Peter Navarro delivered that memo saying it was time to stock up on PPEs and other medical gear.  Mid-March, Trump finally decides it's time to order a few things.  And now Trump is covering up his stupidity and ineptitude by stealing other people's stuff.  These are amazing times we're living in.

hodad said:
JohnRoberts said:

Isn't it funny how displeasure is voiced when it doesn't work for one's narrative(@iturnwhatever). No?
This was accurate until NPR reported it as true and the administration back pedaled. Philadelphia suburb with 1000 positives and increasing daily was one of the federal testing sites to be pulled. If it was a funding issue as claimed in another post, it seems to have been solved awfully quickly. Weird.

hodad said:
This notion that it's time to fold up the tents and go home is insane, but that's what the Trump people are pushing these days.  Happy Days Are Here Again,  blah blah blah. 

JohnRoberts said:

Reports are leaking that the current administration is going to now attempt to "open up the country" on May 1st. Rural areas are still lacking testing, as well as many others. Feds just tried to cut testing 48 hours ago.  I think everyone can read between the lines without political favoritism being pushed by denying status quo via semantics.

*my state governor recently hinted at the fact that large gatherings (concerts,plays,sporting events,etc.)will not be occurring by/this summer. It has not officially been mandated but common sense would suggest this is a safe course of action. This affects me immensely, financially. Too bad the president can't shut his mouth, open his eyes and make INFORMED decisions.

JohnRoberts said:
  ME: This notion that it's time to fold up the tents and go home is insane, but that's what the Trump people are pushing these days.  Happy Days Are Here Again,  blah blah blah. 

YOU:  not true
JR

NEWS:
  President Trump wants a strategy for resuming business activity by May 1, if not sooner.

hodad said:

NEWS:
  President Trump wants a strategy for resuming business activity by May 1, if not sooner.
This is only news if you haven't been paying attention. President Trump has been talking about reopening business (economy, jobs, etc) for weeks or longer already.

I have explained his negotiating strategy before, but one more time...  ::)  First he lays down a directional marker or anchor (to reopen business ASAP), then the "when" it can happen gets negotiated or worked out.  The when has moved out at least once already and I don't expect there to be a single firm "when" date.  More likely the private sector will reopen based on their specific needs being met, and their importance to the larger economy. If we don't plan and actively work to get the economy restarted, it will not magically happen by itself. We could see an economic contraction that makes the great recession, seem like a cake walk.

Of course public safety is a given. Wide testing is an important requirement for getting business reopened. 

JR

PS: Reportedly commercial test labs have thousands (ten of thousands) deep backlog in COVID test results. We need alternatives like Abbots 5 -15 minute fast test (that is processed at the test site) but 50-100k a day are not enough. I am still hoping for fast, easy, self administered covid tests like pregnancy tests.

As a bridge solution United Health performed a study with 500 patients self administering a nasal swab, the reduced exposure to health system workers, and public. The self administered tests were reportedly >90% accurate about confirming COVID in positive patients. Not perfect but a step in the right direction. 

Florida:

"This particular pandemic is one where, I don't think nationwide there's been a single fatality under 25. For whatever reason it just doesn't seem to threaten, you know, kids," DeSantis said at an educators' meeting to discuss distance learning.

This is verifiably incorrect.

Party affiliation: One guess... and kids give it to Grandma and Grandpa, even if they fare better.

JohnRoberts said:
I have explained his negotiating strategy before, but one more time...  ::) 

JR

This isn't about negotiating, this is about leading a nation.  what part of that don't you understand?  Do you think he & I & 300 million other Americans are sitting at a table sliding pieces of paper back and forth with dates & numbers written on them? 

That may be exactly why he's such a failure as a leader--all he knows how to do is make deals.  We need vision, strategy, compassion and comfort in a leader--all he brings to the table is "negotiation" and way too much wishful thinking and "hunches."

Seriously, John, you think this how a country should be led? 

JohnRoberts said:
I have explained his negotiating strategy before, but one more time...  ::)
Who exactly is he negotiating with?  The virus?

To quote from someone who appears to know what they are talking about: "‘You don’t make the timeline; the virus makes the timeline." - Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Matador said:
Who exactly is he negotiating with?  The virus?
the public... (including his detractors).
To quote from someone who appears to know what they are talking about: "‘You don’t make the timeline; the virus makes the timeline." - Dr. Anthony Fauci.
exactly... as I already said The "when" is dependent on how much we can get accomplished, but this will not magically happen by itself, especially if we do not plan or make any effort to reopen the economy.

It is cute to think of the virus making a time line, but as we have already seen the infection trajectory depends hugely on human behavior. We can bend the curve, and timeline by following medical leader's (like Dr Fauci's) advice. The virus is a factor, but so is our behavior. I expect Fauci's point is that dealing with the virus must also be considered. This is not an either/or activity, but a do both program.

JR

PS: A fair criticism of President Trump that his detractors haven't mentioned yet (or I haven't heard)  is that President Trump is perhaps trying to talk up the stock market that he considers a report card of sorts (not safe long term strategy IMO).

JohnRoberts said:
PS: A fair criticism of President Trump that his detractors haven't mentioned yet (or I haven't heard)  is that President Trump is perhaps trying to talk up the stock market that he considers a report card of sorts (not safe long term strategy IMO).

I was talking about that upstream, and lots of others in the big wide world have discussed it as well. 

This idea that he's negotiating with the American public---maybe that's how his brain works, but he's doing a crappy job.  He seems actually to be losing support, even among a small slice of Republicans, for his handling of coronavirus.

And his constant downplaying of testing (maybe because he's constitutionally incapable of admitting error or accepting blame?) isn't fixing anything.  (As you yourself have said, a lot and for a while, testing is absolutely crucial here.)  That's hugely problematic for the entire nation.  It's one of the reasons (aside from the profiteering & general chaos)  you're seeing certain states & large corporations looking to solve this outside of the federal govt. 

This is one of those situations where a strong and coordinated response from the feds is essential--this is absolutely the kind of thing we have a federal govt. for--and Trump is not serving the nation.  If anything, he's working harder than ever to devolve our govt. into an authoritarian, illiberal democracy--but that's  too much for me to get into right now. 

hodad said:
I was talking about that upstream, and lots of others in the big wide world have discussed it as well. 

This idea that he's negotiating with the American public---maybe that's how his brain works, but he's doing a crappy job.  He seems actually to be losing support, even among a small slice of Republicans, for his handling of coronavirus.

And his constant downplaying of testing (maybe because he's constitutionally incapable of admitting error or accepting blame?) isn't fixing anything.  (As you yourself have said, a lot and for a while, testing is absolutely crucial here.)  That's hugely problematic for the entire nation.  It's one of the reasons (aside from the profiteering & general chaos)  you're seeing certain states & large corporations looking to solve this outside of the federal govt. 

This is one of those situations where a strong and coordinated response from the feds is essential--this is absolutely the kind of thing we have a federal govt. for--and Trump is not serving the nation.  If anything, he's working harder than ever to devolve our govt. into an authoritarian, illiberal democracy--but that's  too much for me to get into right now.
They are reluctant to talk about tests that are not available yet,,, but rumors are that antibody testing is getting close. That will be instrumental to better managing lives during pandemic.

I still can't read minds.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I still can't read minds.

JR

I can listen to words and observe actions.  Trump, in his words, diminishes the importance of tests.  Trump, in his actions, has been extremely slow in implementing testing on a widespread basis.  He has regularly lied about the availability of testing. 

That is my evidence.  What's in a mind is of far less importance to me than words and deeds. 

*I find your "I still can't read minds" dodge reminiscent of a certain swath of modern philosopy--Wittgenstein, relativism, etc.  I know that many of your right wing comrades take it back even further to the Stoics & Cynics.  I've long had an appreciation for both.  But we live in the real world, where decisions must be made.  At some point, those various attitudes become bullsh!t evasion for taking responsibility (or admitting error), or excuse-making for actions that on their face are moderately harmful or at worst horrendous. 

On the other hand, I do appreciate that all minds do not work the same.  It's fascinating stuff, and it certainly brings up some of the issues you bring up.  But it shouldn't be used as an excuse for dodging culpability. 

Since it seems to be the sort of thing that interests you, I would recommend to you a book called The Tell-Tale Brain by V.S. Ramachandran.  It's not a perfect book but it's extremely thought-provoking and has some good insight into why brains work as they do. 

P.S.  The irony(or contradiction) of you telling us we just don't understand how Trump's brain works and then telling us you can't read minds is not lost on me. 

JohnRoberts said:
What is clear is that he is scared to death of a tanked economy going in to the election season in the Fall.  Far more than a few million deaths, he's worried that if the stock market doesn't recover and people don't have work to return to by the time voting happens then he's doomed, no matter how much cheating can be facilitated in the key swing states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back