covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article about people trained to deal with epidemics and what happens when politicians won't let them do their job.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/04/seattles-leaders-let-scientists-take-the-lead-new-yorks-did-not

I hear that my state governor is relaxing the shelter in place order...... I hope my (dust) masks I ordered from China, get here before this is all over....

Another sign this may be winding down I got notified that my TP web order placed back in Mar has shipped, but still not here either...

Wash your hands and don't touch your face .... even after this is over....  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I hear that my state governor is relaxing the shelter in place order...... I hope my (dust) masks I ordered from China, get here before this is all over....
JR

what mask did u order ? n95's has different versions !

kambo said:
what mask did u order ? n95's has different versions !
I stopped looking but I never found a n95 mask for sale... just looked again,  they say "Prioritized for organizations on the frontlines responding to COVID-19"

JR

PS: I'd worry about COVID on my (DUST) masks coming from china but any virus will probably die from the weeks in transit.  ;)

JohnRoberts said:
I stopped looking but I never found a n95 mask for sale... just looked again,  they say "Prioritized for organizations on the frontlines responding to COVID-19"

JR

PS: I'd worry about COVID on my (DUST) masks coming from china but any virus will probably die from the weeks in transit.  ;)

rush for n95s slowed down. Chinese n95 are on sale, but they are not NIOSH approved!

hodad said:
This is the face of the American plutocracy.

It's hilarious that fiscal responsibilty is only a thing after the connected cronies have already gotten their due. Cuomo was right to call out McConnel, but it's not like he doesn't have his own baggage as well. We have a terrible president, and McConnel is as sleazy a politician as there is. But the whole system lacks credibility when the proposed solution is a Clinton and a Biden, both of whom were was also implicated by the same author that exposed McConnel.

Until people realize it's two sides of the same corrupt coin nothing will change.

I hear that my state governor is relaxing the shelter in place order.....
In your region, what do you reckon, will it be three or five weeks until it's tightened again ?

Tokyo (all of Japan), on May 6, is most likely  to extend it by another two weeks at least.

Script said:
In your region, what do you reckon, will it be three or five weeks until it's tightened again ?
I am not as smart as you guys so I can't predict the future...

I just checked my state covid stats and still zero deaths in my county, 64 cases total.  In the larger county 15-20 miles east there are over 300 cases and 19 deaths, but from talking to my neighbor who works part time as a druggist over there, most of those deaths are in senior care facilities.

My local bank branch is closed so I would have to drive 15 miles to a drive up window to do any bank business. So far I have been doing OK with my once a week grocery shopping, and I have a couple weeks worth of frozen dinner servings, so I will survive the predicted meat shortages. Several beef and pork processing plants are shut down, but still unclear why there would be shortages with restaurants closed down freeing up a lot of meat.  The meats isn't packaged properly for retail sales, but they can adjust that.  The meat processors are modifying their shut down plants to allow safer distancing, fever monitoring,  and sneeze shields separating workers, for the new normal we will return to. 
Tokyo (all of Japan), on May 6, is most likely  to extend it by another two weeks at least.
Good luck and stay safe.

JR

kambo said:
rush for n95s slowed down. Chinese n95 are on sale, but they are not NIOSH approved!
I saw some dicey looking 95% masks offered on Amazon from a questionable source.

I used up all my actual n95 masks I bought years ago,  for mowing my yard so now all I have is cheap dust masks. I have one hepa vacuum cleaner bag I could cut up to make a serious face mask but I feel lucky... I wear my dust mask when grocery shopping mainly to keep other shoppers comfortable, but don't see a lot of other people when I shop early in the AM (early for me).

JR 

john12ax7 said:
It's hilarious that fiscal responsibilty is only a thing after the connected cronies have already gotten their due. Cuomo was right to call out McConnel, but it's not like he doesn't have his own baggage as well. We have a terrible president, and McConnel is as sleazy a politician as there is. But the whole system lacks credibility when the proposed solution is a Clinton and a Biden, both of whom were was also implicated by the same author that exposed McConnel.

Until people realize it's two sides of the same corrupt coin nothing will change.

Democrats are far from perfect, but Republicans are consistently worse. They have systematically weakened and corrupted institutions on account of greed as well as ideology. Short-term thinking and narrow-minded focus on the wealthy special interests that form their donor base have become ingrained in the party for decades. The textbook dark triad tactics -lies, deception, manipulation, manufacture of wedge-issues, fuelling the flames of xenophobia - to have people vote against their interests while actively using everything in the anti-democratic toolbox to prevent the opposition from voting has no equivalent on the other side of the isle.

The idiocy continues... GOP state representative in Illinois sues the state to be exempt from “overreaching” stay at home orders. This will potentially open the floodgates for similar lawsuits going forward... as news outlets are reporting that meat shortages are going to start occurring throughout grocery stores across the country starting next week. I’m not sure freedom is that awesome when food availability becomes an issue. Freedom. ‘Murica. Stupid.

...got a neighbor who served in Vietnam(lied about his age, never even finished junior year in high school). Staunchly republican, diabetic, living with a pacemaker and not observing guidelines. One would think this guy might stay home, but... ‘Murica. Real life Darwin Awards applicant. Potential Fox News casualty. “Bravely Republican” might be a nice epitaph, huh? Nursing home in my town with 66 cases. Open up the country... my grandparents are already dead.

iturnknobs said:
The idiocy continues... GOP state representative in Illinois sues the state to be exempt from “overreaching” stay at home orders. This will potentially open the floodgates for similar lawsuits going forward... as news outlets are reporting that meat shortages are going to start occurring throughout grocery stores across the country starting next week. I’m not sure freedom is that awesome when food availability becomes an issue. Freedom. ‘Murica. Stupid.

...got a neighbor who served in Vietnam(lied about his age, never even finished junior year in high school). Staunchly republican, diabetic, living with a pacemaker and not observing guidelines. One would think this guy might stay home, but... ‘Murica. Real life Darwin Awards applicant. Potential Fox News casualty. “Bravely Republican” might be a nice epitaph, huh? Nursing home in my town with 66 cases. Open up the country... my grandparents are already dead.
Even if he lied about his age a viet nam era veteran is old enough to be at risk.

Luckily he has a good (smart) neighbor like you to worry about him.  ::)

Yes nursing homes are looking like a bad place to be (in fact they already looked bad before). I suspect we will see significant changes in how they operate going forward regarding infectious disease transmission mitigation.

I am optimistic about far UVc (short wavelength UV 207-222nm that doesn't harm humans), being useful for public health applications while humans are present. Still kind of new and expensive but I can imagine a lot of applications.

JR

PS: Maybe if we didn't close up the hole in the ozone layer (remember that anybody?) the unfiltered sunlight's UV might kill viruses (while giving everybody skin cancer).  I'm joking...... relax

just found out about an experimental procedure to kill covid virus in patients using UV light.

The company is Aytu Bioscience and the product is called "heal light"....  They are using UVA so they filter out the shorter UVb and UVc wavelengths, to make it safer.  Good luck finding good information they have been blocked from twitter and several social media sites.  No doubt this is at least in part what President Trump was talking about the other day (inarticulately).

This is different from my far UVc that I am so excited about. .

JR

[edit- here's some info from a financial stock tout....  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/aytu-bioscience-signs-exclusive-global-120000824.html  [/edit]

Good luck finding good information

Read all about it:

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US243316678&tab=NATIONALBIBLIO

"SUMMARY OF THE DISCLOSURE
      Ultraviolet light is invisible and non-ionizing segment of light spectrum that is divided into three spectrums: (1) UV-A (320 to 400 nm), (2) UV-B (280 to 320 nm), and (3) UV-C (110 to 280 nm). All these components are present in sunlight but UV-C is almost fully absorbed by ozone layer and does not reach the earth surface. UV-A and UV-B are involved in the formation of Vitamin D in human skin. Although UV-C light is traditionally used for disinfection of non-organic surfaces (e.g. hospital rooms, aquariums, air vents, and the like), UV-A and UV-B light have significant anti-inflammatory and antibiotic effects as well. The antibiotic effects of UV-A and UV-B light is induced via damage to haploid DNA/RNA of microorganisms such as bacteria, archaea, fungi, yeast and viruses within minutes. UV light is even capable of stopping the disease process in prion-related diseases that currently has no cure.
      However, mammalian diploid DNA is significantly more resistant to such damage. For example, it takes decades of direct sun exposure for select individuals with relevant gene susceptibility and skin type to develop precancerous skin lesions. UV phototherapy is widely being used in management of skin diseases, such as, for example, psoriasis, vitiligo, atopic dermatitis, eczema, Kaposi sarcoma, lichen planus, skin lymphoma, neonatal jaundice, and the like. Such process has been proposed and used as adenomatous polyp detection tool on colonoscopy and also has been proposed in conjunction with a super glue for closing patent foramen ovale.
      Considering the anti-inflammatory and antibiotic effects of UV-A and UV-B light, it has the potential to revolutionize the management of non-dermatologic (i.e., internal organs) infections and inflammatory diseases. While UV light has traditionally been used to treat skin disorders, it has not yet been developed for broader infection or inflammation treatment in vivo.
      Accordingly, a system has been developed as described herein for emission of therapeutic doses of UV light using vehicles, such as, for example, a catheter, capsule, endoscope, tube or port, for treating or managing internal infections and/or inflammatory conditions inside a patient. For instance, in some examples, the inventors developed devices that can deliver therapeutic doses of UV light in the UV-AB range from a catheter, endoscope, capsule, or other device to treat infections and inflammatory conditions inside the patient.
      In another instance, a system utilizing LEDs or a cold cathode emission that can emit light to cover a broad area inside the body has been developed. Accordingly, these systems may emit UV-A and/or UV-B light emitted from a catheter, endoscope, or other device inside the body to treat or manage infections or inflammatory conditions. "

Looks like it will be awhile though.

I am still curious about far UVc, but I have several conventional  UVc lamps around the house I use to disinfect stuff (like my beer fermenter), when I am not in the room. .

JR

[edit my larger point is that this technology is what President Trump was talking about, when the opposition media attacked him. /edit]

JohnRoberts said:
I am still curious about far UVc, but I have several conventional  UVc lamps around the house I use to disinfect stuff (like my beer fermenter), when I am not in the room. .

JR

[edit my larger point is that this technology is what President Trump was talking about, when the opposition media attacked him. /edit]

opposition is bunch of idiots! i wouldnt worry about them!

JohnRoberts said:
Luckily he has a good (smart) neighbor like you to worry about him.  ::)

Apologies, JR. Given our political differences, I'm not sure if you're being complimentary or condescending, and I'm not trying to be a jackass. Text/net threads can be difficult to assess real intent. Regardless, my neighbor is choosing to do what he hears advised from the "not" fake news media. We saw each other at the fence line. He invited me over. I placed a lawn chair 10 feet from the fence line to speak with him, while he told me "everything is fine, Bro." I told him he was absolutely correct as long as we were 3m+ apart. He shook his head in disagreement. He still has children and grandchildren over every 3-4 days. Both of his sons service large ups/emergency health care facility backup/power transfer switch equipment. Best way to catch it... and I like bacon. Let's get it together.

iturnknobs said:
...got a neighbor who served in Vietnam(lied about his age, never even finished junioryear in high school). Staunchly republican, diabetic, living with a pacemaker and not observing guidelines.

why do you have to mention which political side he is on!
u need to get your horse blinkers off, and get a sun glasses to visit CA,
so, i can introduce  you to shit lot of democrats doing the same!

john12ax7 said:

+1
unfortunately lot of idiots out there! 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back