covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnRoberts said:
[edit my larger point is that this technology is what President Trump was talking about, when the opposition media attacked him. /edit]

Hmm, no evidence for this, and I still can't read minds, but I guess you've now learned how.  :)

crazydoc said:
Hmm, no evidence for this, and I still can't read minds, but I guess you've now learned how.  :)
I don't have to read any minds the attacks were in plain sight.

Further Aytu bioscience posted videos to social media explaining the technology that were removed from youtube, twitter, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kotakuinaction2/comments/g88xxx/update_twitter_just_suspended_the_account_of_the/
https://www.hollywoodlanews.com/youtube-bans-aytu-healight-video/
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/youtube-takes-bio-tech-firms-video-explaining-potential-uv-light-treatment-coronavirus-patients/

JR

good democrat CA state made $1B mask deal with China WTF ???

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-gov-newsom-wont-share-details-on-1b-mask-deal-with-china

kambo said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-gov-newsom-wont-share-details-on-1b-mask-deal-with-china

My "dust" masks from China are still delayed, but I didn't pay $B.... 

at least my TP order arrived today.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
My "dust" masks from China are still delayed, but I didn't pay $B.... 

at least my TP order arrived today.  8)

JR

happy dumping  ;D ;D ;D

kambo said:
happy dumping  ;D ;D ;D
I think the we can stick a fork in the (hysterical) TP shortage, at wally world today doing my grocery shopping there was a stack of TP by the front door. It appears the supply chain has been restocked.

That said I could not find my typical beef chuck pot roast this week, and still haven't found real brown rice for weeks. Lots of processed one minute brown rice, but i want the slow cook real deal (moth eggs and all). Unexpectedly no bell peppers today... I substituted anaheim and jalapeno peppers so dinner this week will be a little warmer than normal. I have several bell pepper plants in my raised bed garden but only a few inches tall at this point (grown from seeds). I didn't bother going to another grocery store just to find bell pepper.

I just saw a notice that there will be free covid testing in my county (one town away) on saturday, but why would I want to be tested? I'll pass so a neighbor who thinks they need testing can have my spot.

Everybody take care and be well. I wore my old dust mask, and carried a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol (in a baggie) to disinfect my hands and shopping cart, etc.

JR

PS: My car insurance is giving me a discount for sheltering in place.... Should I tell them I am pretty much driving the same amount for the last decade plus.  ::)

My next door neighbor who is older than me and still working part time as a druggist told me yesterday that they are starting to see drug shortages. For weeks now china has been playing games with exports of critical goods, no doubt to apply pressure against difficult questions.

I expect China to play hardball defending itself from accusations.

JR

PS: I have not connected the drug supply shortage directly to China or even confirmed it, but it sounds consistent with past Chinese behavior. I am confident my neighbor is not making up stories, while there could be other explanations for medicine shortages.

Script said:
Isn't India the world's pharmacy ?
Yes China and India are high on the list.

Drug labelling laws for country of origin do not cover origination of active ingredients. China is a significant source of key ingredients for many generic drugs. (These may be the shortages my druggist neighbor referred to.)

WWW said:
And by mid-January, China, the world's leading maker and exporter of reagents and coronavirus test kits, was itself scrambling for diagnostic kits to screen for COVID-19 as the outbreak spread in Hubei Province and beyond.

Chinese demand and an export ban dried up global supplies and exacerbated a test-kit shortage that affected responses around the world to the mounting pandemic.

There was a knock-on effect in Europe, the coronavirus's second "epicenter" by March, which quickly fell behind on demand for test kits. It still has not recovered, according to the head of the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), Andrea Ammon.

In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) blamed "one reagent that isn’t performing as it should consistently" when it hit a major snag rolling out test kits to states in February.

A month later, the head of the CDC warned that reagents essential to test kits "now are in short supply." 
https://www.rferl.org/a/coronavirus-reagent-delaying-expanded-coronavirus-testing-/30563198.html

I can't read China's mind, but suspect they are going to use whatever leverage that can grab to reduce criticism from the west.

JR

... to reduce criticism from the west.
Maybe just try criticizing from a different direction?  ;D

Just don´t practise any self criticism and never stray off the path of carbon and stock market driven everlasting growth ideology. And all will be good. Really.

PS: no worry, my last post in this thread, I would have liked to hear and consider any good argument for the politics of the misleadingly called conservatives and neoliberals, e.g. regarding health politics, but I guess it just isn´t there.

This is a good article. Felt the urge to repost.

crazydoc said:
Interesting article about people trained to deal with epidemics and what happens when politicians won't let them do their job.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/04/seattles-leaders-let-scientists-take-the-lead-new-yorks-did-not
Suggestion:
change name of this thread to:
---  'Covid policies' ---

kambo said:

...as state governments are protecting their PPE purchases with local National Guard members from being stolen away upon delivery by FEMA. The president said the states are on their own, and now people are upset that they are taking care of themselves? Why is the federal government attempting to steal PPE? Kambo, you should ask why Trump allowed a large shipment of N95 masks to be shipped to China in February(democratic hoax, maybe?), and now is stealing from the states who provide for themselves? The problem is not CA, but our current leadership. Stealing masks from states that seek out their own solution with their own tax dollars is America at its best... scumbags.

...and people are concerned where CA is getting their masks. Leadership is the bigger problem.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/02/facebook-posts/yes-us-shipped-donated-personal-protective-equipme/

My cheap chinese (dust) masks that I ordered april 10th have been stuck in customs since apr 27th...

I notice that actual n95 masks are still prioritized for hospitals and government agencies...

but they are now selling masks for dogs. 
613fDC7rG4L._AC_UL320_.jpg

Stay safe all...

JR

kambo said:
why do you have to mention which political side he is on!

Because there is a noticeably larger subset of Republicans ignoring and protesting these public health orders. They fly Trump flags, confederate flags, Don't Tread On Me flags, American flags, Betsy Ross flags, NRA stickers, etc. They profess their ignorance outwardly and choose to IDENTIFY themselves as they do so. That is why I point out the political affiliation. I don't fly Hillary flags or Bernie flags or a rainbow flag or NAACP/ACLU stickers as I try to stay home. See the difference? I do. Same neighbor had family 3 generations deep and friends over 2 days ago. I predict being down 1 neighbor soon. 'Murica.

The quarantine/face mask social distancing/stay-at-home/close-businesses mandates aren't going to keep most of the population (you and me) from getting covid-19 if there is no effective vaccine in the near future. It is merely a temporizing measure (IMHO) to "flatten" the curve so that the medical system will not continue to be overwhelmed. The area under the curve (total number of cases) will be about the same, just spread over time. So I say let those who want to open things up do their thing, take their chances and hope to get the minimally symptomatic disease, as long as there aren't too many serious cases all at once.

The hope is that over this same time a vaccine(s) and/or effective treatments for the disease will be developed so that either the infection rate or the morbidity/mortality will be reduced. Me, in the high risk for death category, I'll wait it out with mitigation measures as long as I can, hoping for a better outcome as time goes on.

crazydoc said:
The quarantine/face mask social distancing/stay-at-home/close-businesses mandates aren't going to keep most of the population (you and me) from getting covid-19 if there is no effective vaccine in the near future. It is merely a temporizing measure (IMHO) to "flatten" the curve so that the medical system will not continue to be overwhelmed.
AFAIK the medical system is keeping up but not with a huge margin of excess capacity.

The hospital ships and temporary hospitals did not appear to get fully used.
The area under the curve (total number of cases) will be about the same, just spread over time. So I say let those who want to open things up do their thing, take their chances and hope to get the minimally symptomatic disease, as long as there aren't too many serious cases all at once.
still unclear how many have already been infected with symptomless infection.
The hope is that over this same time a vaccine(s) and/or effective treatments for the disease will be developed so that either the infection rate or the morbidity/mortality will be reduced. Me, in the high risk for death category, I'll wait it out with mitigation measures as long as I can, hoping for a better outcome as time goes on.

Always the optimist I feel like we get smarter and better prepared (more medical system capacity) with every passing day. A vaccine, or multiple vaccines will happen, a number of companies are working very hard on this. Of course these take time to test for safety and efficacy. I expect China to be ahead of the pack with looser testing safety standards.

Of course buying vaccines from China who arguably allowed this to happen seems a little like rewarding bad behavior.

We are getting smarter about mitigation with multiple drugs being tested and showing progress to speed recovery and hopefully reduce mortality.

Every day that goes by we learn more about how the many other countries dealt with covid19 and their outcomes. These range from Sweden's lighter hand to China's iron fist (but flaky data).

I too am in the target age group but relatively healthy and not a social butterfly (I live alone) so have made almost zero alterations to my normal routine. I appreciate the sacrifice made by so many young people to benefit us old farts... thank you.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back