covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's things like his that get to me:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennysplitter/2020/07/02/primex-farms-coronavirus-outbreak/#303d0265e019

‘Everbody’s Infected’: 76 Farmworkers Test Positive In New Coronavirus Outbreak

And all the employer seems to care about, is the sales of their own masks...

living sounds said:
Just use google translate. I don't speak Spanish either.
I speak and read Spanish - English is faster.
There is a potentially significant difference in the Spanish (the original?) and English versions.
English:  All samples came out to be negative for the presence of SAR-CoV-2 genomes with the exception
of March 12, 2019, in which both IP2 and IP4 target assays were positive.

Spanish: All the samples were negative for the presence of SARS-CoV-2 genomes except for the one from March 12, 2019, in which the SARS-CoV-2 levels were very low but were clearly positive by PCR and, in addition, using two different targets ", explains the researcher.

That's what this commenter was discussing:
the authors do not detect SARS-CoV-2 in samples from 2019 March. Rather, they do detect IP2/IP4 resembling SARS-CoV-2. Whatever virus it is it does not have the E and N1/N2 of SARS-CoV-2. Fluctuations in qRT-PCRs even in 2020 samples -different sewers- are way too high to trust the reliability of the RT-PCRs. However, their approach is amazing. I hope they use a metagenomic approach to sequence to sewers rather than doing an RT-PCR assay, which doesn't look very rigorous.

Nit-picky I know, but more evaluation is needed to draw any conclusion about the virus being present in 2019.

The disconnect in a universal process is odd to me.
Just look for the orangutan sitting up in the tree, eating a banana and playing with his dick, saying "Look at me!"

I don't see where we could have had much worse leadership during this time - I see myself lying beside the road because I don't care anymore. It will take a united effort of the population to find the best way through this, and it's not happening because of incompetence at the top.

crazydoc said:
Just look for the orangutan sitting up in the tree, eating a banana and playing with his dick, saying "Look at me!"

I don't see where we could have had much worse leadership during this time - I see myself lying beside the road because I don't care anymore. It will take a united effort of the population to find the best way through this, and it's not happening because of incompetence at the top.
I recently discovered a pro administration news service ( OAN). It is a little disconcerting to hear news without the unending negative liberal/progressive spin.

The "friendly" news today included multiple suggestions that we may be nearing herd immunity with all these discovered asymptomatic cases. Of course this could just be a messaging judo flip to reframe all the "sky is falling" reported high case numbers as a positive. Hard to tell these days.  ::)

The good news is we will know soon enough if the end is getting closer for us or for covid...(my bet is that COVID loses),  while at risk people (like moi) need to continue to practice safe behavior.

Be safe...  wash your hands, wear mask, social distance.

JR

I recently discovered a pro administration news service ( OAN). It is a little disconcerting to hear news without the unending negative liberal/progressive spin.
I saw their white house correspondent during one of Pant-on-Fire's press conferences in the last few weeks. She lobbed him some soft balls and he almost came in his pants fawning over her while answering them. She is a cutie.

crazydoc said:
I saw their white house correspondent during one of Pant-on-Fire's press conferences in the last few weeks. She lobbed him some soft balls and he almost came in his pants fawning over her while answering them. She is a cutie.
you put everything in such a special light...

JR

JohnRoberts said:

The "friendly" news today included multiple suggestions that we may be nearing herd immunity with all these discovered asymptomatic cases. Of course this could just be a messaging judo flip to reframe all the "sky is falling" reported high case numbers as a positive. Hard to tell these days.  ::)

Well, reality has a well-known liberal bias...

I hope for you that you are not actually being serious with your comment about "herd immunity"...

1*YWpO0mEXkAO2qidLQDADFQ.jpeg

living sounds said:
Well, reality has a well-known liberal bias...
we are born liberal, and life experience turns us conservative over time. If you are not liberal when young there is something wrong with your heart, if you are not conservative when older there is something wrong with your head (brain).  8)
I hope for you that you are not actually being serious with your comment about "herd immunity"...
Hint: this is the politics thread while as I noted it seems a clever flip on the political messaging.

The report I saw talked about herd immunity as a hard percentage (65%)  but of course it depends on r0 and other contributory  factors, so not a scientific/serious report. If I was serious I would post it in the clean "covid" thread, not here with all the political  bloviating.

JR

Texas mandating face masks ?

Bolsonaro mandating face masks ?

[irony]
What's wrong with these people ? Giving in to reality  ?? Or just worried about image ?
[/irony]

Ah, if only the senile would realise the state they're in and stop voting...  :eek:

cyrano said:
Ah, if only the senile would realise the state they're in and stop voting...  :eek:
I suspect senile people have some clue that they are mentally challenged, most ignorant people do not (Dunning–Kruger effect).

I read that an extra 15,000 Alzheimer deaths were attributed to complications related to COVID in 3 months of this year, so you can always hope.  ::)

I don't expect that the senile are a major voting block for either party, but older Americans with life experience appreciate the value of voting and generally show up in more substantial numbers than young people.  Of course I am not smart enough to read their minds for why.

Have a happy and safe 4th.

JR

Script said:
Texas mandating face masks ?

Bolsonaro mandating face masks ?

[irony]
What's wrong with these people ? Giving in to reality  ?? Or just worried about image ?
[/irony]
I heard a projection that everyone wearing masks could save 20,000 lives... seems like a worthwhile number but modest percentage of the world population.

JR

It's US population, and it's 33k by Oct 1.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wearing-face-masks-could-save-33000-us-lives-2020-6

According to an analysis by The Philadelphia Inquirer, coronavirus cases seem to be rising overall in states with relaxed face-mask rules. By contrast, The Inquirer found that new cases had fallen by 25% in total over the past two weeks in states that mandated masks in public.

But that's if 95% wear masks, and I know empirically that at least 40% of the population is too faaking stupid to do it.

Cruisin' through Walmart
Makin' a list, checkin' it twice
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice
Sars-Cov-2 is comin' to town

Today was a record day for new infections: over 200.000 worldwide, driven by the USA, Brazil and a new outbreak in Catalonia.

Then there's this:

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30820-5

It seems Europe is dealing with two strains and the newer one is more virulent.

I've heard before America is dealing with the same basic strain, but another new one. That would make three different strains worldwide.

It looks like there's very little reason for optimism.

While I generally approve of the message, I am appalled by the horrendous abuse of dynamic compression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7kZJ3Rj3NQ&feature=youtu.be

:p

scott2000 said:
Doesn't make sense seeing as how the nursing facilities are maximum security if there is any metric or "lockdown" standard to go by...and my neighbor validates this at least in her scenario....

The jello?
Bananas?
The workers?  FL reportedly did a better job than NY with nursing home residents but just like tornadoes prefer hitting trailer parks, COVID loves nursing homes.

Older people have weaker immune systems and often other health concerns. Globally something like 80% of COVID deaths were seniors aged 60 or more.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back