covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cyrano said:
Belief is a strange thing...

I've talked to fanatic muslims. I've talked to fanatic christians. Even if you try very hard to burst their reality bubble, you won't succeed as it only exists in their mind and is extremely adaptable.

The same seems to go for Trumpistas. Reality doesn't matter. It's the other side's fault anyways. Every time. Facts don't matter. It's all propaganda, you know. Fake.

It seems living in a reality bubble promotes tryptophan secretion. Like being high all the time. Nothing affects you, as it's all fake anyways. That is, when it suits you.

Makes for a pretty easy and simple life...
The easy/simple life would be for me to say you guys are right.  ::)

When in doubt do what's right, even if it isn't simple and easy.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
The easy/simple life would be for me to say you guys are right.  ::)

JR

Then you might lose your bubble high.  Wouldn't want that.

JohnRoberts said:
When in doubt do what's right, even if it isn't simple and easy. 

When in doubt, do what's right, even if left is right.  ::)

I have suggested right here for years that words matter and can have consequences. 

Except when Trump says them.

These isolated events are inexcusable and reforms have already been started.

George Floyd wasn't an isolated incident, it was a straw on the Camel's back. 

...Millions of views on social media do not equate to systemic racism, but help sell the big lie  IMO.

Blah, blah, same old denial sh*t as usual. 

(D-MN)Perhaps she didn't mean what she said?

I'm sure she did.  And?

PS; VP Joe Biden has already promised to select a black female VP pandering to two interest groups in one fell swoop.

What?  A woman?  And a black one to boot?
How outrageous.

living sounds said:
Police works best if and when they are actually part of a community and can be relied upon to help, instead of being in an adversarial relationship with much of the populace.

Policing in the U.S. is like the fire brigade, they are responders.  Being decentralised, it's also very fragmented. 
I'm trying to imagine what it'd be like if the local bobbies in the UK turned up at football matches or at a demonstration to do the crowd control job equipped with something like this: 

Attachments

•  Chicago.jpg
    Chicago.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 11
More like an occupying force in a war zone than community policing:

Attachments

• combat-cops .jpg
    combat-cops .jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 9
Back to covid - another thing I'm concerned about for our American friends in the issue of those who may incur large medical bills due hospitalisation and the long term ongoing side effects of having had the virus.  This could send many folks spiralling downwards in debt.  Added to the potential loss of employment due to the economy, I'm really quite worried for them. 

Winston O'Boogie said:
More like an occupying force in a war zone than community policing:

Yes, and many conservatives in the US are now so far removed from the roots of their democracy that they misunderstand militarized police presence as part of their 'freedom'.

scott2000 said:
only when there are 3 :D

You mean there's something else besides right and ultra-right?

I mean, capitalists in one corner, conservatives in the other. Something I've missed?

scott2000 said:
Was a joke attempt....

Takes 3 rights to make a left..... 3 lefts to make a right....

Ah... That expression wasn't really new, but I didn't make the connection. Sorry, I'm dense at times.  :p

cyrano said:
You mean there's something else besides right and ultra-right?

I mean, capitalists in one corner, conservatives in the other. Something I've missed?
VP Biden just called for the end of "shareholder capitalism" but maybe those words mean something other than they literally say.

JR

And you don't think Biden's right?

Before the spinning. Just what the words say?

JohnRoberts said:
VP Biden just called for the end of "shareholder capitalism" but maybe those words mean something other than they literally say.

JR

(Serious question, and not snark):  What do you think they say?  I have my own ideas, and they have nothing to do with the end of shareholders or the end of capitalism. 

cyrano said:
And you don't think Biden's right?
no I think he is pandering to his far left...
Before the spinning. Just what the words say?
Literally sounds like a variant (or misstated) "Stakeholder capitalism" which these days is part of the vilify capitalism movement.  I find it remarkable that anybody thinks capitalism needs defense. Capitalism and free trade have rescued millions of people  from poverty worldwide.

Sadly to make sense in the current political context this needs to be framed as wealthy vs poor or worse (racial).

JR

PS: Of course Beta O'Rourke never fails to deliver with his recent accusation that a "GOP death cult mentality" is responsible for the rise in violence. He actually said that I couldn't make up something that silly. Since he is Joe Biden's point man for gun control it may suggest a future democratic administration's strategy. (kidding... I hope)

hodad said:
(Serious question, and not snark):  What do you think they say?  I have my own ideas, and they have nothing to do with the end of shareholders or the end of capitalism.
I suspect he meant to say "stakeholder capitalism" but flubbed it. The left is more aggressively attacking capitalism (wealth) this election cycle.

All thinking people are (or should be) opposed to "crony capitalism" and other excesses of un-checked capitalism, but capitalism and free markets are what created all the wealth we enjoy today.

JR

PS: Don't expect me to explain former VP Joe Biden too... this is exhausting enough already.  :eek:

JohnRoberts said:
Literally sounds like a variant (or misstated) "Stakeholder capitalism"

JR

Not misstated.  I did a cursory search & shareholder capitalism seems to be juxtaposed with stakeholder capitalism.  Considering that half of all stocks are owned by the wealthiest 1%, and 84% owned by the wealthiest 10%, moving away from a system that puts the interest of shareholders above all seems like a more equitable & likely overall saner and healthier approach. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back