covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
crazydoc said:
It looks like there might be improved outcomes when there are 10 doctors for one patient, rather the one doctor for 10 (or more) patients.
we agree for a change...

JR

PS: Is anybody worried about President Trump on steroids (roid rage)?  ;D Kidding the dose is probably too small for that, like with an inhaler.

JohnRoberts said:
Is anybody worried about President Trump on steroids (roid rage)?  ;D Kidding the dose is probably too small for that, like with an inhaler.

There are many different kinds of steroids, and what Trump is getting aren't sex hormones that boost aggression. But you were kidding. ;-)

living sounds said:
There are many different kinds of steroids, and what Trump is getting aren't sex hormones that boost aggression. But you were kidding. ;-)

However, many steroids used to ease breathing do cause some form of aggression. I know, I have some emergency ones for my asthma and I do get ratty when I take them.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
However, many steroids used to ease breathing do cause some form of aggression. I know, I have some emergency ones for my asthma and I do get ratty when I take them.

Cheers

Ian
Maybe you were just ratty(kidding). Years ago when I was dealing with congestion from black mold my clinic doctor prescribed a steroid inhaler. I asked the doctor about side effects from the steroid since they are notorious for suppressing immune system etc. She told me the dose (from an inhaler) was too small to have systemic effects. It was enough to clear up my lung congestion. {edit- I still can't read minds and won't argue with you about you, I hate it when people do that to me /edit}

===

I was trying to make a steroid joke, I have encountered the occasional roid head at the gym over the years (one accidentally gave me a concussion playing basketball).

Main stream media is much funnier than I am  ::). A CNN puke declared that President Trump is suffering from "steroid psychosis".

Good luck still one more month of this nonsense to suffer through...  8)

JR

crazydoc said:
It looks like there might be improved outcomes when there are 10 doctors for one patient, rather the one doctor for 10 (or more) patients.
And should be difficult to sell as an election campaign slogan.

UK's B. Johnson didn't turn out a new person after his infection, but his understanding and handling of the situation did focus, at least a bit...

Let the sh*t show begin.... as if the covidiots weren't empowered enough. Lemmings would be a compliment.

"Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life."

DJT 10/5/2020

Script said:
UK's B. Johnson didn't turn out a new person after his infection, but his understanding and handling of the situation did focus, at least a bit...

Not happening here. Already in the WH, maskless, while shedding virus. WH has disavowed to do contact tracing for the Rose Garden SCOTUS event. I think I'm going to vomit as I currently watch him salute for a photo-op live. Every doctor who enabled this will be indirectly responsible for real death counts now. Is this actually happening?

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitics/videos/342664630345257/?vh=e&extid=0

Trump tells the country (or at least the idiots who still listen to him) not to be afraid of COVID--as he stands gasping for breath, obviously far from fully recovered.  White House refuses to do contact tracing (or to allow the CDC to) on the Supreme Superspreader Event--undoubtedly because they fear the truth would make things look worse than they already do.  Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson (R-Moscow) says, “from day one, we never should have gone through the shutdowns...We’ve got to carry on with our lives--” steadfastly ignoring the fact that virus would have shut down the country all on its own, and in a very ugly way, if we had all "carried on with our lives." 
What a sad excuse for a political party the GOP has become.

*So Trump's lead doctor (Sean Conley) is an osteopath.  Remember Larry Nasser?  Osteopath.  I don't know if Conley has been "healing" Trump the way Nasser "healed" all those young gymnasts, but an osteopath is not someone I'd be choosing to shepherd me through a life-threatening illness.

hodad said:
Trump tells the country (or at least the idiots who still listen to him) not to be afraid of COVID--as he stands gasping for breath,

I bet Madonna's happy he did that balcony shot, she's no longer the shitiest Evita on film. 

"Covita"   

hodad said:
*So Trump's lead doctor (Sean Conley) is an osteopath.  Remember Larry Nasser?  Osteopath.  I don't know if Conley has been "healing" Trump the way Nasser "healed" all those young gymnasts, but an osteopath is not someone I'd be choosing to shepherd me through a life-threatening illness.

It's mostly pseudoscience, unfortunately.

living sounds said:
It's mostly pseudoscience, unfortunately.
Osteopaths have the same training as allopathic (MD) physicians, and maybe a little extra as far as cracking backs and the like. I've worked with a number of osteopaths, and they hold their own with MD's - both the good, the bad and the ugly.

Dr. Conley's comments have nothing to do with his training, but rather from being between a rock and a hard place (not that that excuses him).

crazydoc said:
Osteopaths have the same training as allopathic (MD) physicians, and maybe a little extra as far as cracking backs and the like. 

I'm not sure if it's the same in Living Sounds' location of Germany as it is in the UK but, to my understanding, the training for osteopathy here isn't nearly as extensive as it is in the US,  so that may be the reasoning behind his comment.
Here, a 4 year bachelor's degree course is all that would be required.    One can, of course, also be an MD who has undertaken additional training but, so long as you're just cracking backs and not prescribing pills,  your bachelor's will suffice to become a qualified osteopath.

Winston O'Boogie said:
I'm not sure if it's the same in Living Sounds' location of Germany as it is in the UK but, to my understanding, the training for osteopathy here isn't nearly as extensive as it is in the US,  so that may be the reasoning behind his comment.
Here, a 4 year bachelor's degree course is all that would be required.    One can, of course, also be an MD who has undertaken additional training but, so long as you're just cracking backs and not prescribing pills,  your bachelor's will suffice to become a qualified osteopath.
Thanks, I didn't know that - I guess they are somewhat equivalent to our chiropractors here in the US.
Dr. Conley has training equivalent to an MD. His problem is that he is a military officer treating his commander in chief, who is an asshole.

Yes, I was referring to the "alternative medicine" BS. I wasn't fully aware of the path Osteopathy had taken in the US, thanks!

We have our own unholy blending of medicine and BS in Germany, there are lot's of university trained medical doctors that also "practice" acupuncture and homeopathy, unfortunately. I recently had a physician who was treating me after a sporting accident suggest ear pressure points. I asked him how that could possible work and why and how evolution would come up with it, and he resorted to arguments from authority (citing some "expert"). Oh, well...

living sounds said:
Yes, I was referring to the "alternative medicine" BS.

This is a rather narrow minded viewpoint.  MDs will often place too much emphasis on treating symptoms instead of root causes.  They often lack a deep understanding of something as fundamental as nutrition. The drug industry in the US is kind of insane.  Certainly there are quacks,  but all alternative medicine is certainly not BS.

crazydoc said:
Thanks, I didn't know that - I guess they are somewhat equivalent to our chiropractors here in the US.
Dr. Conley has training equivalent to an MD. His problem is that he is a military officer treating his commander in chief, who is an asshole.

I'm no expert but, yes, I would say your example of a U.S. chiropractor would be a someone with equivalent/similar training to a U.K. osteopath in its most basic form. 

I've no doubt Dr. Conley is fully qualified as an M.D. (equiv. to a UK G.P.) but, as you say, he's a military officer and thus, following his boss' orders.   

Sidenote:  Before his pressers, I wasn't familiar with the term HIPAA and had misheard it as 'Hippo' which I took to be abrev. for Hippocratic Oath which, given what was going on, didn't make sense at all.  I get it now  ::)

;)

john12ax7 said:
This is a rather narrow minded viewpoint.  MDs will often place too much emphasis on treating symptoms instead of root causes.  They often lack a deep understanding of something as fundamental as nutrition. The drug industry in the US is kind of insane. Certainly there are quacks,  but all alternative medicine is certainly not BS.

Well, what alternative medicine isn't in your opinion?

From my own experience and from research doctors far too often show failings in their practice. But I don't think that resorting to treatment based on magical thinking is the remedy for that.

The drug industry needs to be reformed, but don't think for a second that the "alternative medicine" proponents are not out there to make lot's of money. At least drugs actually do something and are rigorously tested for safety and efficacy.

The history of "alternative medicine" is enlightening, for instance, people are always astonished that TCM ("Traditional Chinese Medicine") was in fact invented by the communist party in China as a marketing tool in the 50s:

https://slate.com/technology/2013/10/traditional-chinese-medicine-origins-mao-invented-it-but-didnt-believe-in-it.html

Due to such a lack of information about the current surge of covid in the halls of government (who tested positive when, symptom onset, o2need, viral load, etc.), I'm thinking to rename that guy POTUS Superspreader.

Also I note he's completely reversed course overnight and is now offering a bribe of $1200 to the American people in the hopes of buying their votes. Maybe partly due to some neuropsychiatric side effects of dexamethasone, but probably just his usual addled thought processes.

living sounds said:
Well, what alternative medicine isn't in your opinion?

I would say a lot of it has at least some merit.  Since you had mentioned acupuncture here is an article that cites some studies.
https://draxe.com/health/what-is-acupuncture/

Nutrition and herbal remedies have many benefits.  Turmeric can reduce inflammation.  St Johns Wort can reduce depression.  Nutritious plant based diets can alleviate a multitude of conditions.  Very few doctors in US will discuss these things.

Here is another article that discusses various approaches.
https://greatist.com/health/alternative-medicine-therapies-explained

It's good to be skeptical,  but also good to keep an open mind, that's how new things are discovered.  I've seen first hand instances where alternative approaches solved a problem traditional medicine could not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back