covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
crazydoc said:
I'm not the one that needs doctoring: denial is a useful coping mechanism, until reality bites you in the ass.
www said:
Section 7.3 of The Principles of Medical Ethics With Annotations Especially Applicable to Psychiatry (sometimes called “The Goldwater Rule”) explicitly states that psychiatrists may share expertise about psychiatric issues in general but that it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion about an individual based on publicly available information without conducting an examination. Making a diagnosis, for example, would be rendering a professional opinion. However, a diagnosis is not required for an opinion to be professional. Instead, when a psychiatrist renders an opinion about the affect, behavior, speech, or other presentation of an individual that draws on the skills, training, expertise, and/or knowledge inherent in the practice of psychiatry, the opinion is a professional one. Thus, saying that a person does not have an illness is also a professional opinion.

I feel like I have a better grip on reality than most, but we all have our own personal realities to deal with.

===
One of my realities is how FU'd the USPS mail service is. Today I received four daily newspapers, a couple that were due last week. I also got several christmas cards days after christmas, one was postmarked 12/15 so almost two weeks for first class mail. Apparently christmas cards were even lower priority than daily newspapers to the USPS.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
One of my realities is how FU'd the USPS mail service is. Today I received four daily newspapers, a couple that were due last week. I also got several christmas cards days after christmas, one was postmarked 12/15 so almost two weeks for first class mail. Apparently christmas cards were even lower priority than daily newspapers to the USPS.

Well, just remember how everyone on the left was complaining that the head of the USPS, a Trump appointee, was screwing things up at the USPS?  I would say there's your culprit.

JohnRoberts said:
I feel like I have a better grip on reality than most, [...]

You and most other people. Surveys consistently show that most people rate themselves as above average whatever (like for example drivers).

Science has also revealed that people under the influence of a depressive mood disorder have a better grip on reality:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8x9j3k/depressed-people-see-the-world-more-realistically

living sounds said:
You and most other people. Surveys consistently show that most people rate themselves as above average whatever (like for example drivers).
Good one. :)

JR, regarding your medical ethics quote, I am not a shrink, nor am I diagnosing you as an individual, only commenting on the group of millions and millions of people that you seem to identify with.

Scodiddly said:
Well, just remember how everyone on the left was complaining that the head of the USPS, a Trump appointee, was screwing things up at the USPS?  I would say there's your culprit.
;D Thanks I needed a chuckle.

I have watched the USPS's less than graceful decline over several decades (I  used to run a mail order kit business). Further I have watched this particular branch deteriorate for the last 3 1/2 decades. When I first moved here my WSJ would be in my PO Box early enough each morning to read the front page with my morning coffee and still make it to my office by 8AM.

Now not only does my daily newspaper not show up before 10am or later, some days it doesn't show up at all. Today was an outlier where my daily paper showed up, along with 3 other late ones.

The USPS is a special case of dysfunctional, and the wildly expanded mail in ballot circus this year just added to their pain.  (Note: I have shared this before, France banned mail in ballots back in the 70s because of massive fraud.).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
The USPS is a special case of dysfunctional, and the wildly expanded mail in ballot circus this year just added to their pain.  (Note: I have shared this before, France banned mail in ballots back in the 70s because of massive fraud.).

So has anybody proved mail in ballot fraud in the recent elections here in the USA?

I still think it's amazing the services that the USPS does for what budget they get.  And since the postal service is in the Constitution it's not like we can just let it lapse. 

JohnRoberts said:
I have watched the USPS's less than graceful decline over several decades (I  used to run a mail order kit business). Further I have watched this particular branch deteriorate for the last 3 1/2 decades.

Yep, tracks nicely with the rise of the "governement is the problem" politics. And it has broken so much more than the postal service...

Scodiddly said:
So has anybody proved mail in ballot fraud in the recent elections here in the USA?
Not in significant numbers to change the vote outcome so dismissed.

I try to avoid scrums with no likelihood of success. I already offered my congratulations regarding this election. Still watching the GA senate race.
I still think it's amazing the services that the USPS does for what budget they get.
Snail mail was important for our economic progress hundreds of years ago. It has been pretty much obsolete for as long as I have been paying attention and would have been squashed by competition, if they didn't have a government protected monopoly.

The budget drama for the USPS has to do with funding pension benefits. The politicians prefer to kick that time bomb down the road beyond the horizon.       
  And since the postal service is in the Constitution it's not like we can just let it lapse.
Indeed but we can try to drag it kicking and screaming into this century.

JR

living sounds said:
Science has also revealed that people under the influence of a depressive mood disorder have a better grip on reality:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8x9j3k/depressed-people-see-the-world-more-realistically

That's not science. It's a journalist's interpretation of recent research with mice that shows it's really "a gut feeling". Depression is caused by an imbalance of endo-cannabinoids produced in our guts.

I just wonder how these scientists know a mouse is feeling depressed :D

JohnRoberts said:
Snail mail was important for our economic progress hundreds of years ago. It has been pretty much obsolete for as long as I have been paying attention and would have been squashed by competition, if they didn't have a government protected monopoly.
I disagree.  The USPS still carries quite a lot of important physical stuff. If we let that go to the private sector you'll see delivery prices go through the roof.

The budget drama for the USPS has to do with funding pension benefits. The politicians prefer to kick that time bomb down the road beyond the horizon.        Indeed but we can try to drag it kicking and screaming into this century.
Isn't that the thing where the USPS was required to fund pension benefits out to some ludicrous extent, far in excess of what anybody else has to do?  I just looked it up - 75 years. 

So one argument against the USPS is that it doesn't make a profit.  Sure, but neither does the military.  These are both socialized government services, there for the benefit of the population. 

JohnRoberts said:
Not in significant numbers to change the vote outcome so dismissed.

JR
A "signature audit" of absentee ballots in Georgia just concluded.  15000 ballots. 

According to ajc.com: 
There were 10 absentee ballots that had been accepted but voter signatures didn’t match or signatures were missing, according to the report. But agents from the GBI and investigators with the secretary of state’s office contacted those voters and confirmed they had submitted those ballots.

In one case, a voter's wife signed her husband’s ballot envelope. Another voter signed the front of the envelope instead of the back. Eight voters had mismatched signatures, but the voters told investigators the signatures were legitimate.

This "signature audit" was ordered after Trump mewled and whined about all the fraudulent absentee votes.  So once again I and my fellow Georgia taxpayers are on the hook for one of Trumpy's widdle tantwums. 

scott2000 said:
Classic case perhaps....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1343557021967126529
https://www.medicinenet.com/how_long_is_a_cold_or_flu_contagious/article.htm#:~:text=For%20colds%2C%20most%20individuals%20become,are%20considered%20upper%20respiratory%20infections.

Colds(viruses) are most contagious the day prior to showing symptoms. I've known this almost my whole life. I can't imagine covid is any different. The reason I'm generally such a troll is because I see people pushing unfair or inaccurate information/ideologies on this forum. That twitter link, regardless of your intent, IMO, doesn't help the public cause if viewed by the "wrong" person. I believe that we were initially misinformed about masks to maintain supply for healthcare workers. Right or wrong. What I can say is none of these science deniers, qanon nuts and REPUBLICANS complain about being forced to wear a seat belt and they sure aren't on the state Capitol buildings with weapons of war because fines are incurred as a result of not doing so. No shirt, no shoes, no service and etc. Just wear a mask. Tell others to do so... even in person in the store(I do). Scott, I respectfully ask that you remove that Twitter link to avoid encouraging others to start doing stupid things like posting "no mask" signs on their property, as I have seen around me.

edit: I do not(should not) assume you were "pushing" the ideas in the video, but it could be compelling to others in a negative way during these difficult times. People can find stuff like that on Parler, if they so choose.

hodad said:
A "signature audit" of absentee ballots in Georgia just concluded.  15000 ballots. 

According to ajc.com: 
There were 10 absentee ballots that had been accepted but voter signatures didn’t match or signatures were missing, according to the report. But agents from the GBI and investigators with the secretary of state’s office contacted those voters and confirmed they had submitted those ballots.

In one case, a voter's wife signed her husband’s ballot envelope. Another voter signed the front of the envelope instead of the back. Eight voters had mismatched signatures, but the voters told investigators the signatures were legitimate.

This "signature audit" was ordered after Trump mewled and whined about all the fraudulent absentee votes.  So once again I and my fellow Georgia taxpayers are on the hook for one of Trumpy's widdle tantwums.
cute... I appreciate your new found budget discipline, what about the bazillions spent on the Mueller horse and pony circus.

Speaking of GA, I think I already shared about my next door neighbor's ex sister in law, who showed up to vote at her polling place in GA, only to be told that she voted already by mail. She returned with her unused mail in ballot and made them take her vote (I wonder if she canceled out her own mail in vote?). I'm sure that was just an isolated case.  ::)

I have already conceded the Nov vote so take the win...  8)

Mitch McConnell has agreed to submit the $2,000 Covid bill for a vote in the senate but added legislation to remove section 230 that relieves social media from liability for user submitted content, "and" setting up a committee to investigate election fraud, and the impact of COVID19 on voting practices. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

The way things work in the swamp, this probably means we shouldn't expect those $2,000 checks any time soon, if ever. The democrats have no love for section 230 for different reasons, but I can not imagine them wanting to investigate election fraud. 

The $600 checks are already in the mail, but the way the USPS has been lately delivering mail, who knows.  :p

JR   

Aren't there enough cool folks on this side (left) of the aisle already?  ;)
I don't see the point in fruitlessly badgering folks about their allegiance. 

Anyway, I don't know anything about the man but Louisiana Congressman-elect Luke Letlow just died from COVID-19. 

"Any man's death diminishes me for I am involved in mankind..." 

Please be careful out there. 

JohnRoberts said:
cute... I appreciate your new found budget discipline, what about the bazillions spent on the Mueller horse and pony circus.
I appreciate your persistent whataboutism and your unceasing willingness to compare apples to oranges.

JohnRoberts said:
Speaking of GA, I think I already shared about my next door neighbor's ex sister in law, who showed up to vote at her polling place in GA, only to be told that she voted already by mail. She returned with her unused mail in ballot and made them take her vote (I wonder if she canceled out her own mail in vote?). I'm sure that was just an isolated case.  ::)
As I noted already, I know quite a few Georgia voters, and no one had such an experience.  In fact, I voted in person in the runoff after having requested an absentee ballot (which I still haven't received.)  It was simple and hassle-free.  I am certain what you mention was indeed an isolated incident, in spite of the sarcastic emoji you attached to your comment. 

I'm aware that this is predominantly a thread about Covid politics in the US.

Still, Tokyo will request the government this afternoon to declare a state of emergency for the capital and at least one adjacent prefecture. It's about time -- infection rate is accelerating rapidly here...

I wonder why they scale the states differently regarding the excess deaths? Looking quickly, it appears all states have about the same relative spikes but, when you look at the scaling to the left, it changes.....weird

Gosh NYC is a nightmare....ugh

Attachments

• Weird scaling excess.jpg
    Weird scaling excess.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 20
I guess they just normalized the different amplitudes of the "oscillation"?
Same waveforms, in phase though, following a common dynamic--
I agree 1:1 scale would also be interesting to compare.

b786aaf0b18ab14701d98e337db991f2.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-coronavirus-this-is-about-total-collapse-of-the-health-care-system-if-we-have-another-spike-of-covid-19/ar-BB1cpJ2g?ocid=bingcovid 

"And we, in the hospital, cannot stop that. We can only react to it. It is the public that has the power to put a stop to the spread of this virus by obeying the public health guidance that have been put out."

We're gonna take a trip.

People get ready
There's a train a commin'
You don't need no baggage
You just get on board

There ain't no room
For the hopeless sinner
Who would hurt all mankind
Just to save his own

Looks like LA county is making a push to discharge as many patients as they can to make room...
Lots of elder people going back to nursing homes most likely....

Hope everything works out... Sucks that yesterday or day before  the FDA released a warning of sorts voicing concerns on reliability of pcr tests. Mainly that they worry the tests aren't catching positives....
What a mess..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back