One last check. B+ decoupling caps necessary?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassDan

GDIY Supporter
Howdy,

I am elated with this design. It sounds great and has great specs on paper. Just one more question.

Do I need any sort of decoupling caps on the B+ anywhere in the circuit, and if so, where?

This is powered with an external PSU and umbilical cable. My thought is what might happen when adding multiple channels in a single chassis. Will there be potential for crosstalk without decoupling caps.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3-triode, Mar 29, 2020.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 33
I would certainly decouple the first stage HT because its PSRR is poor and there is a lot of gain following it. You definitely want the quietest supply you can get for the first stage. A 10K series resistor and a 10uF decoupling cap will give you over 35dB attenuation of 100Hz. Up it to 100uF and you get over 55dB.

Cheers

Ian

BluegrassDan said:
The RCA BC3C runs 8.2k 1W cathode resistors.
yes, and un-bypassed ,  as the  preamp is wrapped in feedback.
the EIN of a BC-3c preamp  hardly stellar.

gridcurrent said:
yes, and un-bypassed ,  as the  preamp is wrapped in feedback.
the EIN of a BC-3c preamp  hardly stellar.

But in the OP's amp the first stage cathode R is bypassed so the resistor makes no contribution to the noise performance. Looking at the data sheet it looks like quiescent current will be around 0.5mA which is probably OK.

Cheers

Ian

Back