Feeler K50 capsule For M50 Mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bremusound said:
Sounds great Ben. Thanks.
What about pricing?

Good question.

This capsule takes 5 hours including machine time to make.  Price will be list AUD$899 for Gdiy members AUD$700.

The pcb set to fit the OEM body (3boards and 9 brass risers $50.00 (pcb for either tube or fet can be specified). Fet version is either transformerless or transformer balanced as both layouts are on a single board.

The PCB sets for the BeesNeez M49/50 body are also available in the same sets so please let mw know which body you have.

The Beesneez M49/50 body is still available and a new batch is being made. Let me know if you want to reserve one.

Cheers guys

Hi Kevin.

I van’t say whether the capsule will fit into your original sphere as there were too many revisions and small variations.  If you sent me your sphere I could machine a collar that fits snug for you and then no problem.  Same price!

Thanks

Ben

Hi all.

So we have been testing the capsule extensively and have settled on pure titanium.  The capsule sounds so good.
Couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• E618AD3C-A311-46A6-B9E1-AB33370EC8AA.png
    E618AD3C-A311-46A6-B9E1-AB33370EC8AA.png
    1 MB · Views: 99
Would love to have an M50. Really considering jumping in on this.

bremusound said:
Any frequency response charts available?

90° and 180° as well as close vs far would be awesome and really crucial having in mind how the mic is used.

I made measurements in home conditions with REW no problem for my DIY K50 capsules. Since they are omni up until higher register inexpensive measurement mics work great as calibration mics.

Recording Engineer said:
He’s about to get a chance to work on a pair for me. Maybe email him and see if he can do you some at the same time.

Thanks, I just sent him an email. I’m trying to get 3 to make a decca tree for orchestra recordings at UC Davis.

Are you building M50-types or replacing capsules in originals or mics already built? If the former, which bodies, tubes, and transformers you planning?

UC Davis, huh? That’ll be real nice! So you’re in my area, of course. This is Weston Ray. I’ve been doing studio work here for 25-years.

Recording Engineer said:
Are you building M50-types or replacing capsules in originals or mics already built? If the former, which bodies, tubes, and transformers you planning?

UC Davis, huh? That’ll be real nice! So you’re in my area, of course. This is Weston Ray. I’ve been doing studio work here for 25-years.

Yeah i moved to Folsom three years ago from LA. Went to Long Beach State for three years then transferred to CSUN where i go my degree in music composition. I think i see you on facebook. I'll send you a request.

I don't know yet on body, transformers, and tubes. I did talk to Dennis at AMI last week so i probably will use there transformers but i'll decide after i can get the capsules.

I’m right on the border of Folsom and Orangevale.

It seems the AMI BV11r transformer plays well with a lot of tubes. It’s what I went with for my 49b types with 6947 tubes; thanks to Scott Humphrey here.

So, I’m probably going to stick with BV11r, but don’t know which tube. I’m also really tempted to try it with the KM53 circuit.

Recording Engineer said:
I’m right on the border of Folsom and Orangevale.

It seems the AMI BV11r transformer plays well with a lot of tubes. It’s what I went with for my 49b types with 6947 tubes; thanks to Scott Humphrey here.

So, I’m probably going to stick with BV11r, but don’t know which tube. I’m also really tempted to try it with the KM53 circuit.

Cool then we are ten minutes from each other. I live right by the Palladio. My studio is in El Dorado Hills in business park 1 but ive been mostly teaching private music students there. I currently have 43.

I was looking at the 6947 tube but really im not sure what i'll try first. I tend to be a little unorthodox but first i'll build m50 stock to Dan's kit. Then based on what i hear i'll start trying different things. So i may not use a standard m50 body.

It would be nice to build a set of pencil mics but waiting on someone to start building capsules or at least pencil bodies that fit neumann or schoeps capsules.

Recording Engineer said:
He’s about to get a chance to work on a pair for me. Maybe email him and see if he can do you some at the same time.
what email address do they respond to?

Back