Thunderbolt and Windows 10 - Painful hard way and Advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops great stuff and thank you for your suffering for the rest of us. I am planning to someday move over to the MOTU avb thunderbolt system and have gone through the pains of integrating a MOTU pcie-424 card with a more modern desktop, that could also support thunderbolt. They just don't have pcie-16 slots anymore. I ended up getting my hands on an "Avid certified" HPZ800 server that has been a dream to work with, albeit it probably can't do thunderbolt. That said with 12 cores and capable of using 192 gigs of ram (I have 48 in it currently) I see no reason yet to change anything. It also uses 2 solid state drives plus 2 more hard drives for storage and via an HD192 and an an Apogee AD16X and DA16x can record and playback 24 tracks I/O @24/96 with plug ins on several without a hiccup.
I'd be weary to push it to 36 tracks though.
When MOTU's pcie-424 came out it was a nightmare for Windows users for years. People dropped $2,500 on systems that wouldnt work as the drivers were very picky about which motherboard the pcie-424 was in. After reading endless complaints that went on for months I bit the bullet and went with the Digidesign (soon to be Avid) 192 ADDA. A few years later and lucky for me I was able to sell my Avid HD cards before they dropped so drastically in value, picked up a 2408mklll and pcie-424 to use as a bridge and haven't looked back.
That said the specs and capabilities of the MOTU thunderbolt line are hard to ignore. I'll probably bite the bullet and now I know; get the Z390.

I was able to return the Asus motherboard, plus the Thunderbolt 3 PCi card.

I ordered a Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE, that has 2x TB3 ports , so no need for a PCi card.
There's also a lot of threads on UAD forums on this motherboard, so at least even if I have problems there's at least shared experience with this model.

Let's see,
up until now buying a new PC had been a nightmare, I hope this new Motherboard makes things easier and I can finally start to use a PC I bought the parts for 1 month ago.

The new motherboard only arrived today, waited a month and a half.
Completely lost the stamina to build a new computer now
:-\

Hope that when I start assembling it the energy returns

My machine is  Ryzen with TB3, but the presonus Quantum is TB2 so I hopped down to the Apple store  and grabbed the T3 to T2 adapter.  While Thunderbolt technology is fun you still have the latency of the plugins to contend with. 

Meanwhile, Intel stopped producing TB chipsets. Apple has it's own, so it'll keep TB alive for years.

The main problem now is that TB is part of USB4 on the Mac side, but not necessarily on the PC side. That'll be extremely confusing for the consumer. One plug, different tech supported...

I picked up a Mac pro 6.1 a while back for pocket change ,
Base model 16gb ram ,quad core E5-1620 v2 ,2x D300 graphics .

I was able to find Server ECC ram , 4x32gb , 80 euros ,
8 core processor E5-26xx series , 20 euros , I should have that stuff to hand by the weekend .

I couldnt get Mac OS to free up the 1Tb OWC internal SSD ,
Sure enough with Hirens Win10 PE disk I was able to get in there , format the drive and now I have a functional PC again . I tried all versions of the bootcamp drivers support software with WIN10 PE but no luck with that .

After the abomination of WIN8 ,10,11 I no longer trust any of their bullshit spyware.
Win enterprise has always been a favourite , so maybe i'll give that a try .

I dont need an OS that talks to me FFS , or eavesdrops for the purpose of marketing ,but its impossible to get away from it with the consumer versions of Windows .

Latest posts

Back