team politics talking points.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a link ,  that coverts people's names into gear model numbers and takes  the poster to
gear sluts or the gear page !

living sounds said:
The case against Biden is getting weaker and weaker:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/15/tara-reade-left-trail-of-aggrieved-acquaintances-260771

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/what-74-former-biden-staffers-think-about-tara-reades-allegations
It was always a "he said/she said"... (say that fast three times.  ::) )

This not a big deal, a little embarrassing if anything as we reveal how provincial we are.

The observation I make is how differently such incidents are treated depending upon political party affiliation. 

I won't bore everybody with the obvious comparisons.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
It was always a "he said/she said"... (say that fast three times.  ::) )

This not a big deal, a little embarrassing if anything as we reveal how provincial we are.

The observation I make is how differently such incidents are treated depending upon political party affiliation. 

I won't bore everybody with the obvious comparisons.

JR

It looks like she's an outlier and not a reliable one.

As to how different these things are treated, look no further at Kavanaugh (who was credibly accused of a felony and some other stuff) sitting on the supreme court vs Al Franken (who apparanelty touched butt during at a photo op) resigning as a US Senator.

living sounds said:
It looks like she's an outlier and not a reliable one.
Joe Biden has a track record for making women (people?) uncomfortable with his overly handsy invasion of personal space. That does not translate directly into sexual assault, which is not his reputation.

It is impossible to be very credible decades later, especially if you didn't officially report the more serious sexual assault to authorities at the time.  Her motives are surely suspect in light of time passed and Joe Biden's current high profile, but her treatment is night and day different from Christine Blasey Ford's. 

I thought the #METOO movement was overdone and am glad to see it losing strength, while I hope that this not just a situational pause based on the different politics of the accused.
As to how different these things are treated, look no further at Kavanaugh (who was credibly accused of a felony and some other stuff) sitting on the supreme court
In fact Ford's accusations were far less credible than Tara Reade's, and multiple Kavanaugh accusers have admitted making up their sexual violation accusations. 

I would be happy to put both of these incidents into the historical dustbin of small ball dirty team politics, and say goodbye to #METOO movement also. The hundred's of high profile #METOO tweeters seem uncharacteristically silent now. 

Put the obvious sexual predators away (like Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, and more.) Hollywood has been so perverse for so long that they invented the concept of the "casting couch" a century ago.
vs Al Franken (who apparanelty touched butt during at a photo op) resigning as a US Senator.
I have no sympathy for Al Franken (by the way there was photographic evidence of his immature behavior when he was immature.... duh). He wasn't even that funny on SNL, but he indeed was a victim of #METOO social justice overreach (that was them eating their own). This does not mean that sexual predators should get free license, but the guilty until proved innocent policies President Obama's education department instituted for colleges are being rolled back to reflect constitutional rights.
===

Times are changing and mostly for the better but the social justice warriors routinely over do it, this might be a good reality check for them, but even I can't get that optimistic.  ::)

JR

I believe Creepy Joe has massaged many women's shoulders without being invited to do so. I started out beliveing Tara Reid but I'm not so sure now. Biden has had hundreds of interns and staffers over his long career. If he liked to diddle the underlings it wouldn't be an isolated incident. If more women come forward telling a similar story I'd believe it. If it's one woman I'm a little less likely to believe it.

In the case of Kavanaugh the puzzle pieces fit. A hard drinking, hard partying youth with many people corroborating shenanigans. Consistent from high school through college.

with many people corroborating shenanigans.

Such friends.  Also CBF,s. Friend did not remember that incident at all.  So we have one person CBF’s he said she said.  Reall that was democrats doing what they do best.

As to how different these things are treated, look no further at Kavanaugh (who was credibly accused of a felony and some other stuff)

HAhaha.  Your kidding .  What ever fits the narrative. 

This and the events leading up to it says it all. We got (and are getting) what we deserve.

20200602T0722-264-CNS-USA-PROTEST.jpg

another media rorschach test....

SPEAKER-PELOSI.jpg

"made you look"  :eek:

JR

PS; My crazy idea du jour is to publish/stream all police body cam videos. We probably don't have enough bandwidth to do this in real time, but after the end of shift, body cam footage could be made public. Officers with questionable reputations could be monitored by any and all... There may be some obscure privacy issues but hopefully its mostly just boring. Virtually walking a mile in the police officer's shoes could be instructive.

"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children."

Mad Dog Mattis
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

When Pat Robertson feels the need to criticize the President over racial insensitivity you know something is very wrong.

The recipe these days to recieve popular press or retweets is to criticize POTUS.

======

Where is the outrage over the police officers, and business owners injured and killed? (whatabout warning)

This is not a complete list;

david-dorn-ap-jef-200602_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg
  77yo David Dorn, retired PO killed by looters.

-Police officer was shot and critically wounded in Las Vegas monday night.
-In St Louis 4 officers were shot and wounded before mobs looted businesses.
-In NYC multiple officers were struck by cars (nearly 700 arrests monday night). A NYC police spokesman reported that one in seven of the arrested were from outside NY, supporting the claim of outside agitators.
-On Friday night, Dave Patrick Underwood, a Federal Protective Service contract officer, was shot and killed at the federal building in Oakland, California.

-Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn, New York, identified one of three protesters arrested on suspicion of tossing Molotov cocktails at NYPD vehicles as someone known to police across the county as a "professional agitator." Prosecutors, according to court records, say Samantha Shader has previously been arrested 11 times in 11 different states since 2011 for allegedly committing acts of violence and resisting arrest.

-Two other suspects charged in the firebombings of police vehicles, Colinford Mattis and Urooj Rahma, are licensed attorneys who have attended prestigious universities and law schools, according to court records. They, too, were charged with federal crimes of causing damage by fire and explosives to police vehicles, but have yet to enter a plea and remain in federal custody.

-The New York City Police Department said early Thursday three officers were attacked by the suspect in Brooklyn, who stabbed one of the policemen in the neck and then stole a handgun and shot two others before he himself was shot.

===========

A political argument made by the left is that police departments are systemically racist. I disagreed right here when President Obama publicly accused the Cambridge, MA police of being racist. President Obama had to walk that back and invited the police officer who clearly wasn't racist to drink a beer with him in the rose garden photo op.  Former President Obama recently popped up again to repeat his same old theme. This political trope is back with a vengence as groups are still upset over the 2016 election loss. As usual our external enemies take advantage of this discord to conceal their mischief and promote their agendas. China just passed a rule making it a crime to disrespect China in Hong Kong (watch what happens to protesters there after this law takes effect). Putin in Russia is working on a bill to extend his term to 2036, etc...

in 2016 Heather Mac Donald wrote a book "The war on cops" discrediting the false narrative of institutional, systemic police bias. She revisits many compelling statistics in a recent WSJ editorial.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883  I won't bore you with all the contrary data.

The Officer who killed George Floyd will get prosecuted, and his fellow officers who should have stopped him, will get punished too. Rumors suggest there is more to this story, but I am still waiting to hear the rest of the story behind the tourist killed by police there a few years ago, so my optimism does no allow me to expect good answers about this one to come out any time soon. The national outrage over the white tourist killed by MN police was certainly not proportionate.

This false narrative of systemic police bias is clearly dangerous for the police who are increasingly being targeted for violence, but does anybody think we don't need the police to maintain order?

We have a constituionally protected right to protest, but not to loot and burn private property. There are bad actors pouring fuel on the racial discord trying to destabilize our republic, and disrupt the economy (businesses) that are already under stress from the pandemic. Anarchy and chaos will mainly harm the weakest among us reducing employment even further. Is this a desireable outcome (rhetorical)?

JR 

PS: Sadly public opinion is easily swayed by all this rhetoric. I see statement after statement making similar accusations without proof beyond this obvious and iconic Floyd incident. While systemic bias is unsuported by facts, it can get accepted as truth due to repetition without analysis. We do not have an objective media keeping them honest, while they bend over backwards to microanalyse POTUS' twitter feed bloviating (I still wish he was a drinker so we'd have an excuse for stupid tweets). 

This false narrative of systemic police bias is clearly dangerous for the police who are increasingly being targeted for violence, but does anybody think we don't need the police to maintain order?

False narrative? You’ve got to be kidding. Do you think a white guy would have been murdered by police for passing a single counterfeit $20 bill?

Every black parent warns their kids about interactions with the police.  I didn’t get that speech and I doubt you did either.

Systemic racism doesn’t mean individuals are racist . It means the system is set up  that way.

The Kareem Abdul-Jabbar op ed had a very good analogy. Racism is like dust in the air.  It’s everywhere but you don’t see it until you shine a light on it.

Gold said:
False narrative? You’ve got to be kidding. Do you think a white guy would have been murdered by police for passing a single counterfeit $20 bill?
Do you believe that is the whole story? That is however the popular narrative pushed by inflammatory media as he is tried in the press... and apparently declared guilty of "murder".

It is extremely unlikely that Floyd was killed over a counterfeit $20. I recall a case in NY over illegally selling single cigarettes where the arrest likewise turned lethal, and viral. 

The hyperbolic media is not reducing tension but inflaming it making more violence likely.
Every black parent warns their kids about interactions with the police.  I didn’t get that speech and I doubt you did either.
I am familiar with Mayor De Blasio famously throwing his own police officers under the bus. Unfortunately kids get lots of bad advice from parents, white and black. I see old school racism passed down that way by racist parents, but desegregation causes a lot of those prejudicial stereotypes to evaporate when exposed to real world face to face experience.

Parents who advise children to be fearful of police can cause they to run away when confronted by police, this will often lead to police chasing them to determine why they fled. Sometimes these unprovoked chases lead to complications.  Better advice is to be respectful of authority. 
Systemic racism doesn’t mean individuals are racist . It means the system is set up  that way.
Show me where the rules say that?

I have been a student of history since I was in junior high school. History is littered with centuries of disadvantaged minorities, denied opportunity or worse by chance of their birth, skin color, etc. The US constitution is a remarkable document promising to protect individual liberty. But even the US was not born perfect with several founders also being slave owners (fairly common back then, and still occuring in parts of the world today) . While an over simplification, the civil war pretty much began to unwind that blemish on our brief history. Entrenched culture like this does not change overnight and those of old enough, and not too stoned to remember the 60s, recall the civil rights drama back then. But this is a process that requires generational change, which takes generations to occur.     
The Kareem Abdul-Jabbar op ed had a very good analogy. Racism is like dust in the air.  It’s everywhere but you don’t see it until you shine a light on it.
That is a clever turn of phrase but not reality.  When I first relocated into the deep south over three decades ago I encountered some residal vestigages of a racist past.  One lunchtime back in the 80s I pulled into a small rural roadside barbecue stand. There were several older black people waiting in line. When I entered the stand, they stepped aside expecting me to jump the line. Of course I declined, but that was probably expected behavior with some. 

Lebron James is arguably one of the best basketball players in history, but I am not receptive to him telling another athlete that he "doesn't get it" for defending the US flag (that athlete had to apologize profusely afterwards to social media outrage to protect his brand.) I also recall Lebron saying that same exact thing to the Houston Rockets manager who criticized China for abusing Hong Kong protestors.  Of course Lebron is in the sweet spot of modern social culture, where it is OK to defend communist China but not defend the US flag.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Do you believe that is the whole story? That is however the popular narrative pushed by inflammatory media as he is tried in the press... and apparently declared guilty of "murder".

I've seen the videos. Do you have something to add besides vague insinuations?

It is extremely unlikely that Floyd was killed over a counterfeit $20. I recall a case in NY over illegally selling single cigarettes where the arrest likewise turned lethal, and viral.

That's exactly what happened in the Eric Garner case. He was killed for selling a single cigarette. I see no evidence to the contrary about George Floyd. Once again there seems to be some vague insinuation.

Parents who advise children to be fearful of police can cause they to run away when confronted by police, this will often lead to police chasing them to determine why they fled. Sometimes these unprovoked chases lead to complications.  Better advice is to be respectful of authority.  Show me where the rules say that?

Now you are just talking out your ass. I guess it's an opinion.

Lebron James is arguably one of the best basketball players in history, but I am not receptive to him telling another athlete that he "doesn't get it" for defending the US flag (that athlete had to apologize profusely afterwards to social media outrage to protect his brand.) I also recall Lebron saying that same exact thing to the Houston Rockets manager who criticized China for abusing Hong Kong protestors.  Of course Lebron is in the sweet spot of modern social culture, where it is OK to defend communist China but not defend the US flag.

I think you are talking about taking a knee. That of course had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag but was a protest about police brutality. Sounds familiar.

Gold said:
Now you are just talking out your ass. I guess it's an opinion.

congrats, u just won who has the biggest ass  competition :eek:
another opinion  8)

edit: J R was disqualified  for talking the real deal ! 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back