team politics talking points.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold said:
I've seen the videos. Do you have something to add besides vague insinuations?
No, because in cases like this I (we) don't know the full story.

He died with a police officer's knee on his neck...

If this was a done deal we wouldn't need to hold a trial.

In case you haven't been paying attention there are a lot of back stories going around.  I do not repeat unverified speculation. 

That's exactly what happened in the Eric Garner case. He was killed for selling a single cigarette. I see no evidence to the contrary about George Floyd. Once again there seems to be some vague insinuation.
No Garner was killed during a botched arrest "while" selling illegal singles...not killed "for" selling the singles. Arguably it is a waste of scarce resources to police such pettit crimes, but the city wants their tax revenue. In this case it cost a man's life.

Use of lethal force (except for self defense) during arrests is already against the rules, so it appears that we have judgement, training, policy, or other issues  to resolve. If a given police officer has a pattern of using excessive force, he shouldn't still be a police officer. 
Now you are just talking out your ass. I guess it's an opinion.
you said ass....  ::)
I think you are talking about taking a knee. That of course had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag but was a protest about police brutality. Sounds familiar.
I was referring to the Drew Brees statement and apology, I refered to Lebron because he injected himself into it. Don't expect me to diagram that all again.

JR

Thanks, Winston. Had to look the "1921 Tulsa Race Massacre" up. My god, possibly 300 dead and 10.000 homeless.

It took the appointed commission 80 years to publish a report? Reminds me of the Tuskegee experiment. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

It also took 'till '97 before Clinton apologised to the victims. And that infamous "experiment" lasted forty years.

Puts some sense into the slogan "Black lives matter"...

JohnRoberts said:
I do not have much hope for this working, but invite all the passionate, angry, inflamed, forum members to post whatever  is bothering them at the moment, here instead of threads about other topics..

JR
Looking at clips of the rally, cheering white folks in the background, red hats, with a venerated narcissist telling them what they want to hear, juxtaposed with the BLM goings-on, it just struck me again what a dog whistle MAGA is: "We've got to put those uppity inferior people of color and foreigners (not the terms they use of course) back down in their place, so us white superior chosen ones that this country belongs to can be at the top again."

I was watching someone asking the Trump supporters at the rally some very, very basic questions about politics.

Even the simplest question seemed bewildering to most. Until, after a question why everyone was white, they found one black man in the crowd.

He seemed the only intelligent life at that rally. The one who found him was very proud to prove the reporter wrong. When asked why he was there, the guy replied "I'm working. And I sure as hell don't support Trump".

The Trump supporter's enthusiasm vanished like a whiff of ether in the air. It's rare to be able to see true idiocy in someone's eyes.

Mark my signature. They're all believers. If Trump does grab them by the pussy, they'll say "Thank you! Mr. President!"

scott2000 said:
Like this jerk...
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/wellington/fl-ne-man-teen-confrontation-video-20200618-325wj33rcrgfvkfuq6smnm32ma-story.html

Wonder what party he's affiliated with
Hey, you found the MAGA poster boy! He'll probably get an invitation to the White House.

scott2000 said:
I'd be down for some mail in beer.....

images
Now beer is some DIY that I can really get behind.....  8)

JR

Winston O'Boogie said:
And I'm down for any  moonshine recipes up for grabs.  Anyone?
I had an uncle living in the smoky mountains who knew some local shiners...

Making high alcohol brews is a young man's game... I have been a session beer drinker all this century.  8)

For chuckles a trick I may have done when younger was to freeze beers to extract the ethyl alcohol that doesn't freeze from the water that does... didn't taste very good and I am not in a hurry to get drunk any faster these days.

JR

Winston O'Boogie said:
Getting drunk faster is a rookie move.
The summer after high school I worked in a camp in the Colorado mountains as a dishwasher. I found half a pint of fermented vanilla eaxtract in the back of a cupboard and drank it one evening, Worst hangover I've ever had - probably lucky it didn't kill me.

Winston O'Boogie said:
Keep in mind I know nothing of chemistry here - is that 'cold extraction' ? 
cold extraction is a popular term for brewing coffee without using boiled water.... Typically you mix grounds with cold water and let it sit overnight in the fridge before filtering out the grounds.  There was at least one commercial cold filtered coffee recalled because their cold water process was not sterile. 
I've done  a similar thing in my youth by crushing in water some over-the-counter strength codeine pills and 'almost'  freezing the liquid to extract enough opiate to kill horrendous toothache without inducing a paracetamol overdose.
you need to date nurse... they get the best free samples.  8)
Getting drunk faster is a rookie move.
Yup, typically a young man's pursuit with homebrewing... Too much alcohol in beer results in a hot flavor/taste note that isn't very desirable...

Besides the Belgium tripls that use a specialized yeast (high alcohol beer kills typical beer yeast). HA experimenters use champagne yeast to make HA beer). There are well regarded higher alcohol beer brews classified as barley wines, and mead is generally higher alcohol too. 

The HA brews also require longer to bottle finish.... I am no hurry to get a buzz, but don't want to wait extra weeks for my beer.

jR

Heard that the 2020 US presidential elections are 'rigged' already.
No matter what the outcome, I assume.
Lol

JohnRoberts said:
For chuckles a trick I may have done when younger was to freeze beers to extract the ethyl alcohol that doesn't freeze from the water that does... didn't taste very good and I am not in a hurry to get drunk any faster these days.

That's more of an up north sort of thing, something you'd read about in Jack London stories. 

Script said:
Heard that the 2020 US presidential elections are 'rigged' already.
No matter what the outcome, I assume.
Lol
That is a common rumor used to discourage low enthusiasm voters.

[satire] "Yeah it's fixed so all the bernie bros should stay home." [/satire]

JR

I think I can see how MAGAboy is going to play the election by messing with the postal system:

1) If he can sabotage the vote-by-mail effort in enough blue districts (by withholding postal funding, removing public mailboxes, etc.), he can decrease the democrat number of votes.

2) Polls show the majority of republicans want to vote in person, and democrats don't, so if the postal service can't handle the volume of mail-in ballots in a timely manner (not enough funding), a larger percentage of democrat votes won't be counted.
"An overwhelming 72% of Democrats are very likely or somewhat likely to vote by mail this November, while just 22% of Republicans say the same, a new Monmouth University poll released Tuesday found. "

3) If he doesn't win, he can try to claim that voting by mail is rife with fraud and deny/fight the election results.

On the other hand you'd think he'd push for mail in voting - I guess it's a double edged sword - I think more under 35 are likely to vote democrat, and if they can't mail it in, they won't vote.

"As the coronavirus pandemic has upended normal balloting, more than half of voters under the age of 35 say they don't have the resources or knowledge they need to vote by mail in November, according to a new poll."

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/30/896993401/poll-more-than-half-of-young-people-lack-resources-to-vote-by-mail

You guys are easily distracted...

My larger concern about voting is the local election officials who are even older than me, so in a pretty serious covid risk category.

At least for my local polling place (walking distance from my house) it will be no problem to social distance.

JR

PEADS

Saw a news blurb about this this morning. I had no idea (if true, and it seems to be.) Basically can suspend the Constitution. Scary when thinking about who develops these, and how POTUS Pants-on-Fire might use them if the election doesn't go his way, since he has stated "I have the right to do a lot of things that people don’t even know about."

Presidential Emergency Action Documents (PEADs) are executive orders, proclamations, and messages to Congress that are prepared in anticipation of a range of emergency scenarios, so that they are ready to sign and put into effect the moment one of those scenarios comes to pass. First created during the Eisenhower Administration as part of continuity-of-government plans in case of a nuclear attack, PEADs have since been expanded for use in other emergency situations where the normal operation of government is impaired. As one recent government document describes them, they are designed “to implement extraordinary presidential authority in response to extraordinary situations.”

PEADs are classified “secret,” and no PEAD has ever been declassified or leaked. Indeed, it appears that they are not even subject to congressional oversight. Although the law requires the executive branch to report even the most sensitive covert military and intelligence operations to at least some members of Congress, there is no such disclosure requirement for PEADs, and no evidence that the documents have ever been shared with relevant congressional committees.

Although PEADs themselves remain a well-kept secret, over the years a number of unclassified or de-classified documents have become available that discuss PEADs. Through these documents, we know that there were 56 PEADs in effect as of 2018, up from 48 a couple of decades earlier. PEADs undergo periodic revision; although we do not know what PEADs contain today, we know that PEADs in past years—

-authorized detention of “alien enemies” and other “dangerous persons” within the United States;
  - suspended the writ of habeas corpus by presidential order;
    -provided for various forms of martial law;
  - issued a general warrant permitting search and seizure of persons and property;
  - established military areas such as those created during World War II;
  - suspended production of the Federal Register;
  - declared a State of War; and
  - authorized censorship of news reports.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/presidential-emergency-action-documents

crazydoc said:
I think I can see how MAGAboy is going to play the election by messing with the postal system:

Under DeJoy, 671 sorting machines have recently been removed, some of them dismantled and  destroyed.  These machines were capable of sorting 35,000  pieces of mail per hour.

I've lost count of the recent pictures I've seen of truckloads of multiple mailboxes being carted away after being removed from the streets.  Many of the remaining boxes have also been locked and some post offices are not even open.
The USPS is now saying that a mailed-in ballot might not make it in time. 

However, the White House chief of staff has said that they won't remove further sorting machines and mail boxes between now and Election Day.  But, as we all know, there is no money available to replace or re-instate the missing machines and boxes.
So, mission most likely accomplished. 

I'm 100% in  agreement with President Obama who was critical of Captain Ouchie Foot's  "attempts to undermine the election",  that the administration was "more concerned with suppressing the vote than suppressing a virus".

We’ve had mail In ballots for years in Colorado.  Now the state is mostly democrat dominated state .  It use to be republican. Coincidence? I don’t know.  I like being able to vote by mail.  What a cluster fxxx this year has been and will continue to be.  I liked reading about beer more than voting . 

fazer said:
We’ve had mail In ballots for years in Colorado.  Now the state is mostly democrat dominated state .  It use to be republican. Coincidence? I don’t know.  I like being able to vote by mail.  What a cluster fxxx this year has been and will continue to be.  I liked reading about beer more than voting .
drinking beer is even more fun than politics...  8)

Remember just like drinking we need to pace ourselves, still 80 days to go...

JR

fazer said:
We’ve had mail In ballots for years in Colorado.  Now the state is mostly democrat dominated state .  It use to be republican. Coincidence? I don’t know.
Maybe vote by mail came about because people wanted it (progress), regardless of politics, I don't think the state is more democrat now because mail voters were  more likely to vote democrat. I grew up in Colorado, and remember my parents discussing Eisenhower vs Stevenson. They were republicans and voted for Eisenhower. That eventually morphed into the Nixon debacle, although other happenings even worse might have occurred had Stevenson been president.

Anyway, democrats are called progressives because they want to make progress. Republicans are called conservative because they want to conserve traditional values. Just my take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back