team politics talking points.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to the Trump supporters and the Biden Bus.

More info is coming out about this - the group of Trump supporters organized in social media to go after the Biden bus. Firearms. Premeditated. Violent.

If you were saying the Trump group wasn't doing anything wrong and that the media was trying to push a made up narrative, etc...  maybe re-assess YOUR prior beliefs that led to such a reaction to the video. 

I don't think the USA or Americans need this kind of violent extremism.
We don't need a President that voices his support for violent extremist acts like this (Trump: "these patriots did nothing wrong")

It's time to for a change.

hodad said:
Who wanted J. Danforth Quayle as VP?  Or Sarah Palin?  Or Joe Lieberman?  Spiro Agnew?  VPs are selected, not elected, and it's been that way for a mighty long time.  Teddy Roosevelt wasn't a popular choice for VP either,  but he turned out to be a far better president than most.  So I guess what I'm saying is, so what?  I'm sorry you don't like Harris, but she's a far more qualified and sane choice than many who have gone before her--in both parties.
I really liked Joe Lieberman, he was liberal but thoughtful and sensible. As I recall he got cancelled by his own party because he was too friendly toward the opposition. 

Indeed VP are generally selected support weakness in a given ticket. Sen Harris does not fit that stereotype since CA is solidly democratic, so she is there for some other reason. I won't speculate.

I haven't voted yet... decisions decisions...  ;D ;D  You guys are running out of time to change my mind. ::)

My polling place is about a hundred yards away, so I am waiting for traffic to slow down. It was pretty busy at 7AM. Some people are working. The logging trucks never stopped, they go past my house loaded with logs in both directions so more than one local lumber mill operating. I guess people still need toilet paper.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I haven't voted yet... decisions decisions...  ;D ;D  You guys are running out of time to change my mind. ::)

JR

You mean Cindy Hyde Smith's embarrassing debate performance didn't change your mind already?  If you cared about having a competent Senator rather than a Republican one, you'd vote for Espy.

dmp said:
Going back to the Trump supporters and the Biden Bus.

More info is coming out about this - the group of Trump supporters organized in social media to go after the Biden bus. Firearms. Premeditated. Violent.

If you were saying the Trump group wasn't doing anything wrong and that the media was trying to push a made up narrative, etc...  maybe re-assess YOUR prior beliefs that led to such a reaction to the video. 

I don't think the USA or Americans need this kind of violent extremism.
We don't need a President that voices his support for violent extremist acts like this (Trump: "these patriots did nothing wrong")

It's time to for a change.

As well as burning court houses broken windows .  Large groups of protesters in a Covid epidemic.  Tear down history.  Brown shirt antifa tactics .  Systemic racism tactics all led from internet sites that tell were the riot is tonight.  Cancel culture.  Maybe all this is one in the same with the unhappy people of the lockdown era. 

fazer said:
As well as burning court houses broken windows .  Large groups of protesters in a Covid epidemic.  Tear down history.  Brown shirt antifa tactics .  Systemic racism tactics all led from internet sites that tell were the riot is tonight.  Cancel culture.  Maybe all this is one in the same with the unhappy people of the lockdown era.

You play the "they're all the same card", pretending neutrality, but here it becomes clear you're just one more consumer of right-wing online propaganda.

Let's just stop it here. We won't change anything by posting...

hodad said:
You mean Cindy Hyde Smith's embarrassing debate performance didn't change your mind already?  If you cared about having a competent Senator rather than a Republican one, you'd vote for Espy.
They both have track records and are well known by voters here...

Sounds like you want to vote in MS too...

JR

You play the "they're all the same card", pretending neutrality, but here it becomes clear you're just one more consumer of right-wing online propaganda.

Glass houses, man.

fazer said:
Yes another VP Acting as president By non choice.

Oh did I tell how I can’t stand Harris.  And the Harris administration after Joe is removed with the 25th amendment.  I guess it’s nice to have friends in low places.

And yet again with staying on the topic subject. You’re on on roll. I swear I’m listening to the 24-hour “news” right now.

JohnRoberts said:

Exactly. In today’s world, I honestly don’t understand all the ads, the debates, and these people at town hall meetings saying they’re an undecided voter. Who are they really fooling? Apparently plenty.

fazer said:

I don’t understand refusing to call out bad behavior from one side and instead reply with listing bad behavior from the other side. People have really learned to mimic politicians and 24-hour “news” very well!

Recording Engineer said:
I don’t understand refusing to call out bad behavior from one side and instead reply with listing bad behavior from the other side. People have really learned to mimic politicians and 24-hour “news” very well!

Ya that’s seems to be going around a lot when you condemn one side and praise the other as solutions like there is no middle ground.  Monkey see monkey do.  Identity politics And what-about-ism seem to be the way this thread goes. 

JohnRoberts said:
My polling place is about a hundred yards away

Might have you beat on that one.  Walked across the street yesterday....and dropped off my mail in ballot. Seemed unnecessary given how uncrowded it was.

It was actually the easiest time I've ever voted.  Places here have been open for days now. I've seen the steadyy stream of traffic out my window, but never gotten too crowded . Contrast this with the same place during the primary where people needed to wait hours,  makes you wonder why voting isn't always like this.

john12ax7 said:
Might have you beat on that one.  Walked across the street yesterday....and dropped off my mail in ballot. Seemed unnecessary given how uncrowded it was.
My post office is literally across the street from me in the other direction.

My daily newspaper delivery has been really spotty  (2-3 late papers every week lately)... not sure I trust the USPS as much as voting in person. Hopefully the on time delivery will improve after this mail in vote drama passes. (note: the papers have been on time last two days in a row.)
It was actually the easiest time I've ever voted.  Places here have been open for days now. I've seen the steadyy stream of traffic out my window, but never gotten too crowded . Contrast this with the same place during the primary where people needed to wait hours,  makes you wonder why voting isn't always like this.
I expect to eventually progress to voting electronically but we must never confuse major elections with American idol votes (so security and ID is really important). When I was young (and ignorant) I proposed voting via telephone networks...

"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

JR

JohnRoberts said:
My post office is literally across the street from me in the other direction.

Same here (though it's not a post office). I suppose it comes down to the width of the street.

fazer said:
Ya that’s seems to be going around a lot when you condemn one side and praise the other as solutions like there is no middle ground.  Monkey see monkey do.  Identity politics And what-about-ism seem to be the way this thread goes.

And it was propelled again by your reply to dmp going back to the incident with Biden’s campaign bus. Was it not? How can anyone talk about coming to middle ground at the same time?

I doubt election day 2020 is going to be the day when we find common ground - in a thread for team politics, no less
but for the country to come together and deescalate the partisanship, there needs to be a willingness to look at the facts and try to find a middle ground. Everybody needs to decide not to engage with bad faith - and those that continue to do that should be ignored, as it's just a waste of time.  It applies to both sides because the world isn't black and white - neither side is completely right or wrong.
One of my favorite authors, Daniel Kahneman, says: "I like changing my mind, some people don't like it, but for me it's a thrill". Letting go of the fear of being seen as wrong is liberating, and will lead to finding common ground with others.
I know other people have mentioned it before, but "The Righteous Mind" by Jonathon Haidt is a great book to help understand the different approaches people take to moral decisions. care/harm, loyalty, authority, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back