team politics talking points.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
john12ax7 said:
There wasn't exactly a plethora to choose from.

To summarize, you’ve said voters took a risk to go with the non-establishment person. I’m all for it! I’m still in! But based on Trump’s 2016 campaign alone (never mind anything previous), there was absolutely nothing to indicate this is the person to take that risk on. None. Instead, it all indicated who absolutely not to take that risk on. Him!

How in the hell did it get to that point? Well, people had truly either been in a bunker with no idea about the outside world during his campaign or simply voted for their party like a zombie.

Overall, my point is, logic to me doesn’t indicate anything about taking a risk on the non-establishment guy/gal and therefore is just another political talking point, a perfect fit for this thread.

I saw a poll today that gave the democrats 52.5% and the Republicans 45%. Are those kinds of figures historically reflected in the the final results?

Cheers

Ian

Recording Engineer said:
Well, people had truly either been in a bunker with no idea about the outside world during his campaign or simply voted for their party like a zombie.

Nah.

I don't care for the guy,  nor did I vote for him.  But you seem to have blinders on as to why a lot of people did. As they say,  not learning from the past makes you doomed to repeat it.

I don't see how we ever get to a more inclusive / less divisive country when disregarding so many.

So sorry for the whataboutism to my diy associates.  I know the brewery and Election Day are good for making trouble .  Tomorrow drink to whoever wins and move along. 

It’s 77 today in Colorado and a beautiful day outside.  I love where I live and would not trade for any other country in the world.

fazer said:
So sorry for the whataboutism to my diy associates.  I know the brewery and Election Day are good for making trouble .  Tomorrow drink to whoever wins and move along. 

It’s 77 today in Colorado and a beautiful day outside.  I love where I live and would not trade for any other country in the world.

Here’s to that!

Both my wife and I have extended family in Denver. We’ve only been there once for a wedding some 10 years ago. I still have dreams of taking my kids to the mint for a tour! I suspect that’ll never happen before they no longer care.

john12ax7 said:
But you seem to have blinders on as to why a lot of people did. As they say,  not learning from the past makes you doomed to repeat it.

I’m trying to see, but so far, it doesn’t seem logical to me. I’m definitely a strong advocate to shake things up and trying new approaches, but who in their right mind thought this was a good try with this guy? Too many apparently.

Look how much support Trump still has in this election. This also doesn’t seem to support that the 2016 election was the American people’s calculated-risk of supporting a non-establishment person. Did they not learn the first time around?

I would say a lot of people have buyers remorse and were ready to abandon ship.... until the alternative became Biden / Harris.

A ticket of something like Yang / Gabbard would have gotten a lot to more crossover.

john12ax7 said:
I would say a lot of people have buyers remorse and were ready to abandon ship.... until the alternative became Biden / Harris.

A ticket of something like Yang / Gabbard would have gotten a lot to more crossover.

Except I wouldn’t expect anything less from a two-party only system.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/

vKVUKVe.jpg

john12ax7 said:
It's quite funny,  and sad,  that TMZ is a more reputable news source than Fox News and MSNBC.

I certainly would not put the BBC in the 'fact reporting' category.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I certainly would not put the BBC in the 'fact reporting' category.

Cheers

Ian
I recall listening to the Beeb with short wave radio back in the 1950s, they were authoritative back then, especially compared to Radio Moscow, or Radio Havana, Cuba.  ::) Since then they seem inflicted with the same compulsion to tell people what to think about events, so much so that they started a broadcast service dedicated for the N. America market... No thank you
=====
It seems like the polls declaring that VP Joe Biden had a 9% lead were more than a little off.  ::)

Looks like record turn out and record "spending", but if money alone could buy elections we'd be looking at President Mike Bloomberg.  :'(

We need to look out for funny business with mail in vote counting. I can understand waiting until the election to not waste effort if the vote isn't even close but why would a state suspend counting during an undecided vote? PA resumed counting this morning but Nevada is not reporting more results until Thursday. I can not think of any "good" reason to delay reporting votes, we can easily imagine bad reasons. 

Looks like a January 5th run off for at least one GA senate seat when none of the candidates got 50%. (There was an item on the MS ballot this year asking to suspend 50% requirement.)

It appears that many businesses voted by putting up plywood, and rioters in some western states did not even wait for a final decision.

I remain optimistic about an honest count but appearances are a little suspicious. The integrity of our vote is very important. Inexplicable delays are not building public confidence.

I can imagine some attention harvesting by being the squeaky wheel, that holds up the decision.

JR

PS: The voting system used in MS, paper ballots with optical readers confirming a readable ballot on the spot before accepting it. This still leaves an opening for hacking computerized counts and reporting, but the paper ballot remains as a robust backup for manual recounts if required.

About that media chart - why is RT in the "reliable" column? A 2017 report by the United States Intelligence Community characterized RT as "The Kremlin's principal international propaganda outlet". It has been peddling conspiracy theories and promoting anti-scientific BS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_America

JohnRoberts said:
We need to look out for funny business with mail in vote counting. I can understand waiting until the election to not waste effort if the vote isn't even close but why would a state suspend counting during an undecided vote? PA resumed counting this morning but Nevada is not reporting more results until Thursday. I can not think of any "good" reason to delay reporting votes, we can easily imagine bad reasons. 

Let's count the all ballots.  Even if certain people want to stop while they're ahead.

Scodiddly said:
Let's count the all ballots.  Even if certain people want to stop while they're ahead.
Forget this BS about "funny business" with mail-in votes.  Let's look at the real "funny business" with DeJoy drastically slowing mail delivery and defying court orders.  That's a man who belongs behind bars for election interference. 

Scodiddly said:
Indeed lets count all legal ballots.

The betting markets have now flipped to a Biden win... This is logical based on the uncounted mail in ballots being majority democratic. (note: betting on the campaign is illegal here so these bets are placed offshore).

JR

PS: I heard an amusing observation about President Trump... His supporters take him seriously but not literally, his detractors take him literally but not seriously. This "stopping the legal vote count" is just the latest example of that. Of course there is an opportunity for fraud at least the appearance of funny business from unexplained delays. I am smart enough to predict outcomes, and this seems larger than the Gore clusterfsck in FL years ago. A good years for advertisers and lawyers. 

"Gore clusterfsck"? You mean when the conservative Supreme Court majority wrote that completely illogical ruling and stopped the count to give the election to their man? ;-)

As for "funny business", my guess would be that there are watchers from both parties and Independents all around these ballots. It looks a lot like the "red mirage" that was predicted, at least in Michigan and Wisconsin, maybe also Georgia, Pennsylvania and North Carolina, because yes, the uncounted mail has a high probability to skew heavily to the Democratic party.

Still, with the Senate not likely to end up with the Democrats there isn't much constructive legislation to be expected down the road. Two more years of stalemate.

JohnRoberts said:
His supporters take him seriously but not literally, his detractors take him literally but not seriously. This "stopping the legal vote count" is just the latest example of that.
Things do not look positive for Trump.  I predicted a while back (not here but to friends) that if he lost he would try to raise enough stink around the election that Biden would give him a pardon just to get him the f*ck out of the White House.  And I'm really expecting him to try. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back