Studer 169 and 961 advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pfeifer

Hey guys

Heva a chance to get a fully restored Studer 169 or 961. Wondering if theres any issues and how well they are built. I will be using it as a summing mixer for the most part. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Nick

Hello Nick

If fully restored there should not be any issue.
Regarding build quality, I'm somehow biased with this brand (with 3 consoles and lot of other gear from them) but I think Studer manufactured  some of the most solid and reliable possible product in this industries, top engineering in all aspect.

Best
Zam

Pfeifer said:
Hey guys

Heva a chance to get a fully restored Studer 169 or 961. Wondering if theres any issues and how well they are built. I will be using it as a summing mixer for the most part. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Nick
169 and 961 are different animals. Both are extremely well built and designed, but the 961 incorporates patented techniques that makes it extremely transparent. Any, no "colour" to expect from a Studer mixer.
I would think the second-hand prices reflect the difference at the time. The 961 was more expensive by a factor 4-5 IIRC.
The 169, OTOH, is much easier to troubleshoot in the event something goes weird.

abbey road d enfer said:
I would think the second-hand prices reflect the difference at the time. The 961 was more expensive by a factor 4-5 IIRC.

Don't know for initial price when launched. 30k? 40k? but second hand today is more or less the same for both model (3 to 5k depending of condition)

Previous series (x89) from late 60' 70' sold for 180k(actual conversion)... for a 16 ch version  :-X

Best
Zam

Thanks. I'm going to pick up the 169. It's a 10x2. I've never used a Studer but have experience with various other consoles. I'm just hoping for it to help glue my mixed coming out the master bus. Hoping for a nice eq. I've never used a neve but my fav for workflow was an AWS 900. I really like the Trident consoles. Almost went with a Tof atb but I worry with build quality.

Thanks

Nick

Pfeifer said:
Thanks. I'm going to pick up the 169. It's a 10x2. I've never used a Studer but have experience with various other consoles. I'm just hoping for it to help glue my mixed coming out the master bus. Hoping for a nice eq. I've never used a neve but my fav for workflow was an AWS 900. I really like the Trident consoles. Almost went with a Tof atb but I worry with build quality.

Thanks

Nick

Glue comes from eq, compression and balance not by adding a console. When you nailed these three factors you can add a summimg mixer (or not).

If you want some knobs to tweak it's ok but don't expect a piece of gear to improve your mixing skills. It's the opposite.

Crappy mix goes into console? then crappy mix goes out of console

Aside from that: i use a Studer 963 16 channels and I can assure you it's completeley transparent

hazel said:
Glue comes from eq, compression and balance not by adding a console. When you nailed these three factors you can add a summimg mixer (or not).

If you want some knobs to tweak it's ok but don't expect a piece of gear to improve your mixing skills. It's the opposite.

Crappy mix goes into console? then crappy mix goes out of console

Aside from that: i use a Studer 963 16 channels and I can assure you it's completeley transparent

I totally get that. 10 channels of 169 eq is nice. I'm getting it for 5k Canadian and it's been fully restored.  I'm not looking for warmth. I'm looking for a great sounding, reliable summing mixer. I've heard they were used for orchestral music. Cant go wrong there imo. I agree its crap in and crap out but theres a certain feel that high quality components provide.

Pfeifer said:
I've heard they were used for orchestral music.
IIRC the 169 was a GP mixer used by many broadcast facilities for remote recording and radio games. Many of the smaller broadcast mixer manufacturers had closed shop and the market was not ready yet for the likes of Soundcraft, DR or Amek. The choice was very often between Studer and Neve.
The 169 has typical broadcast facilities, such as duplex and quiz, that you will probably never need.

Hello

Except fader start and input status signalling (which can be useful in studio recording too), the 169 don't have any broadcast specificity.

For the OP, if you take the 169, check twice it's not a S-Korean version, which don't share the same design 100%, especially at mic pre...
Also get a load of LM301 opamp. Now obsolete. Studer designer use them massively in this console at various (and critical section) in a manner that substitution may be difficult.

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Except fader start and input status signalling (which can be useful in studio recording too), the 169 don't have any broadcast specificity.
That's correct; the typical broadcast applications use the standard features of the mixer. No partial mix (N-1) and no telco interface.

hey Abbey

You still right in a way, Studer offer a lot of rack and various optional box to interface console for broadcast solutions, duplex, hybrid etc...

Best
Zam

Latest posts

Back