Why is this Toroid BUZZing and getting hot?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grant, thanks. Yesterday I did exactly what you described. In fact, I just double-checked it. I still get audible mechanical hum, though. After some more reading I'm beginning to wonder if my AC line is of very poor quality. I found this and thought it would be interesting to try: http://diyparadise.com/dablok.html This will apparently remove all DC from the AC line and minimize the transformer noise.

Another thing I read was that 1073 type circuits are very susceptible to radiant fields. I noticed that my two racked API 312 channels were not effected at all by their respective toroidal/PSU (in fact, they were ultra quiet) but that the chandler germanium was really picking it up. This is even with the API completely disconnected except for power; once I flip it on the germanium picks up the transformer noise from two rackspaces away. I'm assuming this is not a ground loop issue because it seems very dependent on proximity to the offending devices.

Update: I emailed chandler and wade said:
Aaron-
Usually its because the power transformer is located near the input
tranny of the GERM. The Tranny on the germ is huge and can pick up
fields. Unfortunately you will probably have to move the germ to
another spot.

It is most certainly worth moving. I guess I shouldn't jump to blaming my shoddy DIY work! I think my problem was from a combination of thinks; a sensitive preamp and high DC presence in the AC line.

hi ap123,
glad you got that sorted out. i haven't really had torroid induced noise on my 312 builds as well, but since I'll be tackling a 1272 build next your info's good to know. i'll probably end up putting the PSU outside the 1272 channel chassis. thanks for the info! :thumb:
regards,
grant

Back