LINUX - please give your advice on apps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello,
I have a small old Laptop (Asos Eee 1015PN from )2010, for fun I'm going to install Linux on it.
I'm using a lighter Linux version, it's Lubuntu (lighter version of Ubunto for older machines)

I never ever used Linux before, so I'm new into this.

Can you please share you favorite Linux apps?

I'm going to install REW and Reaper, if you have any more audio or electronics usefull apps please let me know

Thanks

Octave is good for matlab style computation.

Libre office is  good for spreadsheets and office apps.

Kicad is popular for pcb layout,  but haven't used it much.

There are plenty of 'regular' apps for surfing, document creation. Firefox, Libreoffice etc

For CAD I use QCAD. Worth paying the little extra for the pro add-ons IMHO.

You will want REW for audio testing and as a second 'oscope.

If you install WINE you can run many windows programs. I use it just for LTspice and freePCB

Of course there is Kicad for PCB layout which has begun to mature nicely since much development was under the wing of CERN

Audacity is good for audio editing. Inkscape is a reasonable free replacement for the standard windows graphic app - forget its name right now and there is GIMP for image manipulation.

The there is the native Arduino IDE and the native Gerber viewer is faster and better than any windows one I have tried.

Of course, front panel designer runs natively. Filezilla is the best ftp program ever.

Oh, and no more crashes. No more updates you don't ask for. No more updates taking ages to download and install.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Oh, and no more crashes. No more updates you don't ask for. No more updates taking ages to download and install.

In Windows I had plenty of crashes
changed for MAC (felt a huge improvement) the crashes stopped but then the Update shotgun started (aggressive Planned Obsolescence)

Just need it to be simple,
thanks Ian

Latest posts

Back