Opamp History

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

I was reading this article from 2002 written by Walt Jung from ADI, perhaps many of you already know it but I thought it would be nice to share it here, it covers history of the opamp starting from the vacuum tube diode all the way to High speed modern opamps, it covers tube designs, discrete, hybrid and integrated designs. Its nice to look at the schematics and know about the history of some venerable opamps.

Anyway, the link is https://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/design-handbooks/Op-Amp-Applications/SectionH.pdf

Quarantine and liquor is no good...I read that article some years ago and again recently when I was studying the current feedback opamp which runs circles around the 990, unfortunately it has serious issues. I abandoned the project after some experiments with it. I eventually went back to the 990 type I often build, with the expensive SSM2212. I love the sound of the full Widlar current mirror along with the superior bootstrap current source.

Latest posts

Back