Dynacord DS-10 Microphone/Radio Preamplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it worked. Chassis is grounded and it’s working. One thing I’ve come to realize with this thing is is that the output is too hot and there is not output attentuator, only an input. Which is why I’ve been using a reverse reamp.
Do you think a resistor has cashed resistance over the years and might explain too hot of output?
Do you know where it might be wise to look for problems that may have caused this? Most of the resistors are testing good in circuit, and some of the ones that aren’t I’ve removed and found they were actually fine.
The output is just so hot and a lot of static white noise is coming through. I’m blaring out with a dynamic mic at only around a 3 out of 10 on the input.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan 

FarisElek said:
Well it worked. Chassis is grounded and it’s working. One thing I’ve come to realize with this thing is is that the output is too hot and there is not output attentuator, only an input. Which is why I’ve been using a reverse reamp.
Do you think a resistor has cashed resistance over the years and might explain too hot of output?
Do you know where it might be wise to look for problems that may have caused this? Most of the resistors are testing good in circuit, and some of the ones that aren’t I’ve removed and found they were actually fine.
The output is just so hot and a lot of static white noise is coming through. I’m blaring out with a dynamic mic at only around a 3 out of 10 on the input.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan
What do you connect it to?

I’m currently using a reamp in reverse and it sounds good. If I use a ts to xlr I wired up for imbalanced out to balance in, it’s very loud and static-y. It going direct into a converter.

I DO NOT KNOW if this is a good long term solution...but I fixed noise and volume by install a 100k pot across the output. It's exactly what it needed. I don't have the mean to drill through the front plate so I've adjusted it so that when the VU needle is blaring into the red that it peaks into the converter. It was the exact volume before white noise appears. Will this work for the meantime?

Ryan

FarisElek said:
I’m currently using a reamp in reverse and it sounds good. If I use a ts to xlr I wired up for imbalanced out to balance in, it’s very loud and static-y. It going direct into a converter.

I DO NOT KNOW if this is a good long term solution...but I fixed noise and volume by install a 100k pot across the output. It's exactly what it needed. I don't have the mean to drill through the front plate so I've adjusted it so that when the VU needle is blaring into the red that it peaks into the converter. It was the exact volume before white noise appears. Will this work for the meantime?

Ryan
That's a good solution. In the absence of schemo, it's hard to say if it can be improved. You may want to experiment with different values for the potentiometer. Try 10k or 22k.

i mounted the output pot and this thing has been serious for fun guitar believe it or not. still a decent amount of noise, but semi-tolerable,

Questions

Are the giant mallory four prong caps mounted vertically near the tubes ever in need to be replaced?
all the caps beside those have been replaced and the resistor that drifted i replaced and the rest read good.

also, this circuit is pretty simple. I think i’ll try drawing the schematic. I’ve never done that before but it seems doable for me in this circuit.

Latest posts

Back