Semi shear / Half shear punch profile in SW

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Squid

Hi All,
Just wondering are there any high level solidworks Jedi's on here ?

I'm pretty good, but more like Empire strikes back sort of level  ;)

I am trying to finish off a side cheek for my console build ( yep, the missing No.1 cheek.... ), but for the life of me, I cant get the semi shear punch profile that Ive made, to work correctly in SW.
It's either too distorted, or just plain wrong. Ive tried a few years back when I was just getting in to it, and with all this lockdown mania going on, I thought it would be a good time to re-address it.

For any of you that are unsure what a semi shear is - its the small punched 'divots?' that align the ISEP rail in place correctly on the Neve sidecheeks.

Now, Ive made the forming tool, and applied it to the surface.. all looks ok...
untill you see the other side  ???

Mmmmmm. thinking it could be something to do with the 'cut' edge on forming profile..
Hopefully, I'll have chance tonight in work to have a look !  ;)

Not very helpful, I know, but I never realised ISEP rails used semi shears and also that they were located in the tapped strip opening. I have seen quite a few broadcast mixers use ISEP rails with no semi shears at all.

I guess your problem is the semi shears need to be correct on all four sides. I notice that SRS and other manufacturers of Eurorack extrusions use a single line semi shear that runs along the longer edge of the extrusion. Thus only one edge of the semi shear needs to be 'sharp'.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• KidSquidProfile1.txt
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
Back