using a blow torch(propane torch) to remove parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

saw a video earlier today where a person was using a propane hand torch to remove mic input  transformers.

While I get the idea behind it, I can't see that being the best option to do so.  I don't know what do you think?

pucho812 said:
saw a video earlier today where a person was using a propane hand torch to remove mic input  transformers.

While I get the idea behind it, I can't see that being the best option to do so.  I don't know what do you think?

In the good old days we used a solder pot which is a small bath if molten solder. You dip the PCB in it, all the joints melt and you pull the part out. Far too hazardous for today's namby pamby manufacturers. A blow torch seem quite tame in comparison. The secret in all cases is to keep the heating time to a minimum.

Cheers

Ian

I keep one of those crack pipe butane torches around. I mostly use it to heat banana binding posts or turrets. Things that would need a large surface area soldering iron tip. I have a giant American Beauty iron but it takes a while to heat up. If I'm doing a bunch I like the iron better. For a one off the torch is faster.
I haven't tried the torch on PCB's.

Flame is not appropriate for pcb work , definately not indoors ,
noxious gases,
100W solder gun or big Weller mains iron , flood the pads with extra solder ,and walk it out a little step at a time ,heat and repeat little by little you'll get there .
Heavy snips or hack saw can also make the job a lot easier .

pucho812 said:

hot air station...

A propane torch is too hot, and dirty

JR

Oh, this was a thing. ~~1969 there was HUGE boxes of surplus PCBs. The gold-finger connectors sawn off but otherwise 99+% perfect, ready for harvest. Noxious? Not compared to the gasoline we drove, or the risks of going to the jungles where those PCBs had been returned from.

I have torn apart my old dead TVs/ electronics  and removed. Caps from PCB.  I’ve used solder gun but have thought about a torch.  I use these  in guitar pedals bread boards to see if I even want to build a final Pedal  in a box..  Most are good miniature  film and polypropylene types.  I dispose of the metal hardware and only pay for disposal of the soldered card weight rather than the not toxic metal and plastic.  Granted I’ve only done this a couple of times but will do more with all the electronic junk I’ve collected.  The small caps are modern through hole and non leaky in spec.    I guess I have more time these days.   

JohnRoberts said:
I have seen cigarette lighters (even matches) used to activate shrink tubing, but open flame for desoldering seems like the wrong tool for the job. 

JR

military does not allow wire stripers as they may kick a wire and cause a short. only thermal strippers.  so I have seen some of the former military stripping wires using cigarette lighters

Latest posts

Back