JohnRoberts

modern technology advanced by pandemic
« on: May 08, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »
I already see a number of technologies getting adopted faster because of pandemic conditions.

My short list just as a beginning point for discussion.

#1 teleconferencing: My small town clinic doctor closed the clinic and only sees patient via web teleconference. I am not sure how they will draw blood for my annual check up in several months, over the web.  :o

#2 FarUVc: This technology is apparently not ready for primetime but i remain optimistic about wider use of short wavelength (207-222nm) UV light. Reportedly this is harmless to humans while toasting microbes. I can imagine a lot of applications for this (like inside airplanes, workplaces, etc, etc, etc.)

#3 Robot meat processing: There are already federal regulations restricting the amount of bone chips and spare parts allowed in processed meat. I would be willing to relax that some for safer and more robust food supply chain.  They already use robots for heart surgery, surely they can carve meat, maybe even automated.

I suspect there are more technologies I am not even thinking about. Tag you're it.

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

JohnRoberts

Re: modern technology advanced by pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »
and,,,

#4 remote temperature sensing: reportedly they can detect more than just temperature (like BP, heart rate, etc). This slips into privacy issues about health information.

#5 contact tracing: smart phone apps are ready to shred our last vestige of privacy.

etc

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

PRR

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:19:08 AM »
> how they will draw blood for my annual check up

1) They can FedEx a needle to you with a return label.

2) I don't have to go to a hospital or doctor for a blood draw. Aside from hospital and doctor offices, there is a walk-in cash clinic, and a joint which did nothing but lab-tests. Actual testing for all but dip-strips is really done in one lab in the city, so same test, just a choice where you give your precious body fluids. In warmer weather you might be able to get it done drive-by.

JohnRoberts

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
> how they will draw blood for my annual check up

1) They can FedEx a needle to you with a return label.
pass..... the medical need for blood workup is to confirm my thyroid medication efficacy but dosage has not changed for years so I could probably get my script renewed over the phone.
2) I don't have to go to a hospital or doctor for a blood draw. Aside from hospital and doctor offices, there is a walk-in cash clinic, and a joint which did nothing but lab-tests. Actual testing for all but dip-strips is really done in one lab in the city, so same test, just a choice where you give your precious body fluids. In warmer weather you might be able to get it done drive-by.
My local clinic is in walking (limping) distance about 100 yards away....

A walk-in blood draw (lab corp) was around 20 miles away last time I used them.  That is where my local clinic sends their blood tests for processing.

Walmart gives flu shots and the like, but doesn't do blood draws (yet). 

JR

PS: Sorry I didn't mean to make this about me, I expect this pandemic to be an inflection point for multiple nascent technologies.

JohnRoberts

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 01:17:14 PM »
The pandemic has finally nudged me closer to cashless in store purchases... for third week in a row I bought groceries with my CC instead of paying cash (because my local bank branch is still closed so my walking around money is getting scarce).
=====
I remain cautious about facial recognition technology but it seems Walmart could easily capture my head shot from the self check out video (honesty?) camera to create a full customer profile, CC and all, from my face.  Minority report like stores pushing ads personalized for individual customers here we come. Some may embrace that, I find it creepy and makes me uncomfortable.

JR