3u Audio now has an M7 capsule!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does he have SDC capsules too? I was checking his website the other day but I just saw the M7

Rafael

12afael said:
does he have SDC capsules too? I was checking his website the other day but I just saw the M7

Rafael

Best way to find out and for prices is to email him directly. ([email protected])
He's a busy fellow, so you may have to wait a couple days or so to get a response, but he will get back to you.

Hi all.

I was curious on when these were to become available but it also quite interesting!

He doesn’t make these backplates which probably means he doesn’t make any of his backplates! Another skinner only.

These are a ningbo backplate.  They were offered to me last year and naturally I refused.  I was then emailed a few weeks later and the offer was rescinded and I was told that another Australian manufacturer had asked to have exclusivity for Australia on these backplates!

They were offered to me for $4.00 each!!!!!

They actually look really good and the machining quality is excellent but... the hole size is wrong.

Attachments

• 46154268-B9BD-4D83-A1CF-057100C90410.jpeg
    46154268-B9BD-4D83-A1CF-057100C90410.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 267
12afael said:

Rafael
Email him about them. You can buy the Warbler capsules too, and the ones in the CM1. They're just not listed.

abbey road d enfer said:
But maybe the tuning is right?...

you actually need both ,  and much more........
Delay Chamber Volume is a Complex Instrument Specially in the Time Domain.......  ;)
My 2 cent
Best,
Dan,

poctop said:
you actually need both ,  and much more........
Delay Chamber Volume is a Complex Instrument Specially in the Time Domain.......  ;)
Agreed, but there  are many ways to skin a cat. Capsule tuning is a multi-variable equation. One parameter can be changed if others are also allowed to change correlatively. Saying a backplate is not correct because the holes are not the diameter it was when originally designed half a century ago is like saying a modern Ferrari engine is not correct because its bore is different than that of a 250LM.

True, it could be a great capsule.
however if the backplates are not historically correct, i will never be a 1:1 clone.
it depends what you're looking for...
i note that the frequency response is a bit different than the original, especially the 2,5khz bump, it's more a 4khz centered bump, but it depends on how the measures have been done...

My experience tells me that nobody has sucseeded yet with true M7 clone. So, maybe this one is totally wrong, but maybe is closer to the original.  I will order one for a test. It does not hurt. ;)

my experience is exactly the same.
I never explained to me why K47 clones are closer (but not 100% neither) to the original than the M7 clones...
maybe they are easier to build.
i hope it will be a great capsule with a great color, that could give us another choice...
if someone has already test it, feel free to write a little review...

granger.frederic said:
my experience is exactly the same.
I never explained to me why K47 clones are closer (but not 100% neither) to the original than the M7 clones...
maybe they are easier to build.
i hope it will be a great capsule with a great color, that could give us another choice...
if someone has already test it, feel free to write a little review...
I wait for the mail response. Of course,I will do compare test but I will not publish direct compare because I don't want to ruin someone buisness. But, some subjective  opinion is possible from me.

Moby said:
I wait for the mail response. Of course,I will do compare test but I will not publish direct compare because I don't want to ruin someone buisness.
I would think you don't have to worry about ruining anyone's business, as long as your experiments are well conducted and documented. Some mics have a seemingly terrible frequency response and sound actually quite good, and a contrario, most measurement microphones with a beautifull linear frequency response, do not sound good for recording.

But, some subjective  opinion is possible from me.
Subjective opinions are often controversial, one's delight is someone else's disgust. Please leave it to GS...

abbey road d enfer said:
I would think you don't have to worry about ruining anyone's business, as long as your experiments are well conducted and documented. Some mics have a seemingly terrible frequency response and sound actually quite good, and a contrario, most measurement microphones with a beautifull linear frequency response, do not sound good for recording.
Subjective opinions are often controversial, one's delight is someone else's disgust. Please leave it to GS...
when I say to ruin someone buisness I talk about direct compare brand to brand. Generally, frequency response tells nothing, but if it's something working correct or not.  With the term "subjective opinion" I consider my personal opinion about something. On the top of this, thanks on your suggestions but I still consider it as "subjectiv opinion". Cheers

abbey road d enfer said:
But maybe the tuning is right?...

if they sound anything like his 47-style capsules they gotta be really good. I would guess he used (NOS?) PET film for skinning though...
I would like to compare his capsule to the "original" ones. Speaking of M7s, I just recently received two Thiersch PVC capsules - WOW, awesome, really. I had almost forgotten how good a microphone can sound haha

xeawr said:
if they sound anything like his 47-style capsules they gotta be really good. I would guess he used (NOS?) PET film for skinning though...
I would like to compare his capsule to the "original" ones. Speaking of M7s, I just recently received two Thiersch PVC capsules - WOW, awesome, really. I had almost forgotten how good a microphone can sound haha
where did you find info that he uses NOS Pet film?  Btw, Thierch PVC or Mylar sounds really different than vintage M7. I heard some closer sounding replicas :) but not close enaugh ...

Back