3u Audio now has an M7 capsule!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0596.jpg

Mine arrived today, on a Sunday thanks to SF-Express Shipping. Got it installed and really love how it sounds. Silky, silky smooth high end, great low mid hug. Lows sound full and natural, but with a beautiful vintage-y 1960's (or 50's) time warp to them. Don't have another M7 to compare against, but it has the characteristics I was looking for and sounds great. Now that I know, I will be buying more of these from Guosheng for sure. Wow.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 109
Wordsushi said:
IMG_0596.jpg

Mine arrived today, on a Sunday thanks to SF-Express Shipping. Got it installed and really love how it sounds. Silky, silky smooth high end, great low mid hug. Lows sound full and natural, but with a beautiful vintage-y 1960's (or 50's) time warp to them. Don't have another M7 to compare against, but it has the characteristics I was looking for and sounds great. Now that I know, I will be buying more of these from Guosheng for sure. Wow.

about how much did you pay for it?

xeawr said:
about how much did you pay for it?

I would suggest emailing Guosheng directly to get the best price, plus shipping. I'm fairly certain the number he quoted me is the same exact going price for everybody, but just in case it wasn't for whatever reason, I'd rather not say. However, I can tell you it's less expensive than Dany Bouchard's published price on his M7. Since Guosheng has his own factory where he's making lots of capsules each year for big mic companies, even if you just buy one or two at a time from him, you always basically pay wholesale prices. It's like being in a club.

Moby said:
where did you find info that he uses NOS Pet film?  Btw, Thierch PVC or Mylar sounds really different than vintage M7. I heard some closer sounding replicas :) but not close enaugh ...
How does an original M7 sound? Considering they are all very different than when they left the factory... I never had the opportunity to actually compare original M7's, but those who have agree on the fact they all sound different.

abbey road d enfer said:
How does an original M7 sound? Considering they are all very different than when they left the factory... I never had the opportunity to actually compare original M7's, but those who have agree on the fact they all sound different.

I think the question is do you consider only the vintage ones "originals" or also the pre 2000 Gefell ones?

To be honest, the 3U M7 frequency response looks a bit suspicious to me, because the M7 capsules I know from Gefell are a rather midrangey, with a very smooth not overly present top end, and they are a little bit bass shy.

Compare his frequency response plot to this one (MT 71S) - this is a very very similar frequency response to the M 71 (transformer-coupled predecessor), despite completely different circuit. Hence my guess that this gives a good impression of what a healthy M/ should look like. Especially in the 5-10k range his frequency response is totally different.

Microtech Gefell:
MT-71-S_qlr6y.png

3U Audio:
20200501155173877387.jpg

Wordsushi said:
I would suggest emailing Guosheng directly to get the best price, plus shipping. I'm fairly certain the number he quoted me is the same exact going price for everybody, but just in case it wasn't for whatever reason, I'd rather not say. However, I can tell you it's less expensive than Dany Bouchard's published price on his M7. Since Guosheng has his own factory where he's making lots of capsules each year for big mic companies, even if you just buy one or two at a time from him, you always basically pay wholesale prices. It's like being in a club.

Thanks Wordsushi for your reply! Fair enough! Can you let me know what the outer diameter of the capsule is? 32mm?

By the way, I have no doubt that his M7 sounds fantastic....  :)

xeawr said:
To be honest, the 3U M7 frequency response looks a bit suspicious to me, because the M7 capsules I know from Gefell are a rather midrangey, with a very smooth not overly present top end, and they are a little bit bass shy.

Compare his frequency response plot to this one (MT 71S) - this is a very very similar frequency response to the M 71 (transformer-coupled predecessor), despite completely different circuit.
Anyway, these graphs are heavily photoshopped...

xeawr said:
Thanks Wordsushi for your reply! Fair enough! Can you let me know what the outer diameter of the capsule is? 32mm?

By the way, I have no doubt that his M7 sounds fantastic....  :)

Yes, outer diameter is 32mm.

Wordsushi said:
Ok, here's a short clip, just speech.
3u M7 atop a modded SYT-6000 > UAD 610b > UAD SSL Legacy (for expander and to show slight EQ change)
No compression. No De-esser.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmfevgujfibext6/M7Clip1.mp3?dl=0
Thanks for a clip. Pity it's not wav... Sounds interesting, still not sure about the top end "air" :( I will wait my one to compare it to the "real deal". Cheers

Moby said:
Thanks for a clip. Pity it's not wav... Sounds interesting, still not sure about the top end "air" :( I will wait my one to compare it to the "real deal". Cheers

Really looking to hear more from you !

Wordsushi said:
Guosheng said it was ok to post the M7 price.
$180 + $20 shipping to US.

I suppose email him for more details or for delivery to your location.

$180USD for a chinese capsule?  Wow

Ours is only $40 more... wow just wow

mics said:

Generally I agree, but for a long time China is not what it was 20y ago. People pay 700+$ for made in China Iphone and nobody cares about it.  More important is how it sounds. I found most of Chineese capsule not usable at all. If this guy made it correct I don't care if he is from China,  Bangladesh,  Turkmenistan.  But hey, I would be happy on your position. What if he makes it OK and sell it for 30$?

abbey road d enfer said:
How can you say that when you have nothing to compare it with? You don't know the voice, you don't know the acoustics...
I also wanted to ask the same.  Ok, it's close miked, so acoustics doesn't matter much. Without side by side compare it's really hard to judge.

mics said:

It was you who said it's a chinese capsule with wrong dimensions in the first place. I can't see anywhere Guosheng stated backplates are produced there. Do you have anything to back up these claims? That he uses Ningbo capsules and that dimensions are wrong?

Doesn't Guosheng live in Australia?
How long has Guosheng been in mic business? I would not be so quick in bashing Guosheng's work. Or is the fact he is originally Chinese an issue?

With all due respect, even if they were chinese, China has way longer history in capsule manufacturing than say Australians. I'd personally go for 30$ 797 audio capsule rather than 250$ australian one all day long. Just saying.

Latest posts

Back