Gold

Re: What have you Built Recently
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2020, 09:50:11 PM »
The company I work for did all of the cabinets there, a lot of finish carpentry such as shiplap, ladders, rails, you name it.. we even did the raw steel base under the fish tank. The fish tank is incredible in person the pic really doesn’t do it justice.

I’m not a woodworker. My metalwork isn’t great either but I’m better at that.

Most who have seen the sconce have liked it without prompting. My GF showed it to a couple of well known visual artists who also liked it and wouldn’t have said so if they didn’t. I wasn’t looking for feedback but since it’s been so positive and this was a 15 minute special I’ll put some time into something and see if anyone likes it. I enjoy doing it.

Fuzz Face

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »
Hey Volker, a random thought just occurred to me while looking at your build but I’ve never really understood for sure..

Is there any audible difference using a tube rectifier with a class A tube amp? My understanding is that the class A amp draws a constant current, so it may be impervious to “sag”?

analag

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2020, 09:02:51 PM »
At my day job, they often dump these nice rack mount boxes that I grab before it goes to the dumpster. And I tell ya, having them laying around makes me just want to throw some electronics in there.  And so I have a few more mic pres than I need.

My other thing is these 80's 300ZX that I mod. I assembled a Megasquirt ECU that comes pre built or in kit form (did the engine harness too). Afterwards you have to program it then tune the car. Me being the eternal DIYer tried to tune the car that I did an expensive custom job on the engine and...booom!!! it went. So I just had the custom pistons re-coated and a replacement piston built, plus a replacement con rod.  I'm about 20 grand into this particular car and it looks like crap really.
Audio engineering suffers from misinformation, disinformation, and downright lying more than most fields of endeavour.

ruffrecords

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2020, 05:45:10 AM »
Hey Volker, a random thought just occurred to me while looking at your build but I’ve never really understood for sure..

Is there any audible difference using a tube rectifier with a class A tube amp? My understanding is that the class A amp draws a constant current, so it may be impervious to “sag”?
In a properly decoupled class A stage the HT current draw will be essentially constant. But power stages like the EL84 are never fully decoupled so there definitely will be sag.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

Fuzz Face

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
In a properly decoupled class A stage the HT current draw will be essentially constant. But power stages like the EL84 are never fully decoupled so there definitely will be sag.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks Ian, I appreciate the reply. Volker’s post has me wanting to turn some spare parts into an ac4 or something. Need transformers and some metal for a chassis and I’m good to go

I’ve read several times that single ended amps don’t sound different with tube or SS rectification but suspected there could be more to it. I really respect your opinion so it’s great to hear from you. Thanks!

ruffrecords

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 10:56:43 AM »
I’ve read several times that single ended amps don’t sound different with tube or SS rectification but suspected there could be more to it. I really respect your opinion so it’s great to hear from you. Thanks!
A tube rectifier will definitely have more sag because of its higher internal resistance than an SS diode.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

jensenmann

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2020, 01:03:11 PM »
I´ve done quite a bit of house repair work. Finished the thermal insulation of my basement ceiling, finished tile laying in that room and installed 10m of shelfes. That of course led to some serious cleaning up and feng-shui. Then I installed some lights in our barn and outside the house motion controlled lights.
DIY wise I had a defective Sontec 250EX for repair. It came with a dead HS2030 DOA which I repaired and a filterboard with a defective HS6000. Since I had to reverse the HS2030 I had all information to make a replacement PCB. Currently I´m waiting for the last transistors to arrive to test it.
Another project I have on the bench is racking a bunch of channelstrips from my butchered monitorconsole, a TAC 16/8FB. These are modified quite a bit and they sound fantastic.

Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

crazydoc

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »
Then I installed some lights in our barn and outside the house motion controlled lights.

I just upgraded some motion controlled incandescent floodlights with dusk-to-dawn LED floodlights and free-standing barn light due to recent robberies in the area. It's almost like daylight out there.
Luckily, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
The secret of happiness is having low expectations.

jensenmann

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
We have the same problem here. We live 15min from the french border and 1min from an autobahn. Thieves seem to like locations like these. After a robbery they can quickly leave and cross the border. That´s why I have motion controlled light on all sides of the house where you can get in.
Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

JohnRoberts

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »
We have the same problem here. We live 15min from the french border and 1min from an autobahn. Thieves seem to like locations like these. After a robbery they can quickly leave and cross the border. That´s why I have motion controlled light on all sides of the house where you can get in.
Nowadays thieves have it too easy... they just wait for UPS or fedex to leave the packages outside and scarf them up before the homeowner does.

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.