gyraf

Re: What have you Built Recently
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2020, 04:58:33 AM »
I have to monitor closely, they don't stay on the tree long after ripe..

How do you know if it's ripe? I have a fig tree in my garden, quite a few fruits, but I never managed to find anything edible. And birds seem to ignore it. Maybe our climate is just wrong for this to go all the way..

/Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

JohnRoberts

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
How do you know if it's ripe? I have a fig tree in my garden, quite a few fruits, but I never managed to find anything edible. And birds seem to ignore it. Maybe our climate is just wrong for this to go all the way..

/Jakob E.
Mine is a "Chicago Hardy". The vendor I purchased it from shows optimal growing regions for different kinds of fruit trees. My first fig tree died from a late spring hard freeze but this one is doing OK for a few seasons now.  You are pretty far north of me (and east).

On mine when the figs start to get ripe the skin of the fig turns reddish/purple and they get soft and aromatic. I suspect the smell is what attracts the birds.  I didn't even know my first ones were ripe until I saw the half eaten one left on the tree, that a bird beat me to. The insides are bright red... When these start ripening they can go pretty fast so I have to check as often as twice a day.   

Figs are a subtropical tree but a search reveals a "Bornholm Diamond" danish fig, reportedly originally transplanted from Italy. So apparently growing figs there is possible.

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

crazydoc

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
I found that I can give surplus vegetables (like excess tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers) to my neighbors... they don't mind at all.  8)JR
My neighbors are few and far between (thankfully), and I don't socialize with those I've met (except one who moved away :( ) because of world-view differences. I've given a lot in the past to those I jam with, but due to the pandemic I'm staying away from that. My Mom told of a neighbor of hers that would drive up and down the street at night putting zucchini in the mailboxes - I guess there's a point where people don't want any more squash.  :)

And besides, some things are hard to pick (like peas, chard, and especially beans) and they'd have to come harvest them themselves (which has happened in the past.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:44:43 PM by crazydoc »
Luckily, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
The secret of happiness is having low expectations.

JohnRoberts

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
My neighbors are few and far between (thankfully), and I don't socialize with those I've met (except one who moved away :( ) because of world-view differences.
I'm not on the same exact page as all my neighbors wrt world view. I'm still the yankee who only moved down here 3 decades ago. One neighbor accused me of voting for Hillary, because I'm not as red neck as he is.  ::) I didn't give him any free vegetables.  But philosophically we're all in same general neighborhood. 
I've given a lot in the past to those I jam with, but due to the pandemic I'm staying away from that. My Mom told of a neighbor of hers that would drive up and down the street at night putting zucchini in the mailboxes - I guess there's a point where people don't want any more squash.  :)
I'm light on squash this week... In past weeks I've had enough for myself with at least one surplus to gift. For some odd reason my squash plants suddenly started pushing out about 10 at the same time... looks a little like a bundle of snakes, only yellow. I predict in another week or so, I'll have way too many squash, but none to harvest this week.
And besides, some things are hard to pick (like peas, chard, and especially beans) and they'd have to come harvest them themselves (which has happened in the past.)
Perhaps why I didn't plant any peas or beans...

My bell peppers have been a little disappointing so far, and only now are starting to bud out in numbers. I suspect the tomato plants grew more quickly and stole their sunlight before they could get going. Now that the tomato plants have shifted over somewhat the peppers are getting more sun light, and doing better.

I suspect the same number of plants spread out over a lot more area next year will be more than satisfactory. But I can't complain for my first semi-serious garden attempt.

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

gyraf

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2020, 05:16:44 AM »
Thanks! I'm off to watch my tree  ;D
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

JohnRoberts

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
Thanks! I'm off to watch my tree  ;D
With my fig tree you can literally smell them when ripe. They smell good.

JR