What have you Built Recently

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

Due to the lock down I have been spending less time with my 80's cars that I am constantly tweaking for more speed and warming up the soldering iron more often than I used to.  As I write this I am listening to a mix on a passive summing box thingy amp-ed with a M1 style pre ( love the sound of that syle of pre). Loving it! Apart from that I have been buying up a lot of these plugins that are on sale.  Pre covid-19 I had built a Ryzen machine with no short cuts, I have yet to see it bug down from track count or plugins. Bottoms up, sh!t could be worse. Apart from crying about the plandemic and seeing white people gun down my people, what have you guys been doing?

JohnRoberts said:
I built this raised bed garden (from kit), filled it with tomatoes, peppers, squash, carrots, all grown from seed.

JR

Nice! I thought the wood work looked a bit fancy... I have a little cherry tomato plant growing in a pot atm. First time trying anything.  My neighbor had someone bring her a bunch of plants for a garden and she gave me a little sprout... I almost killed the thing last week trying to snip a branch from the bottom with some too large landscape hand snips. Cut halfway into the main stalk,,, Duh.... I just buried it deeper and it seems to be doing ok... Going to get a cage for it this week.....

I've been working on building some new tolerances lately.....  :D Think I'm going to build a mojito shortly

You're very welcome 8)

JohnRoberts said:
I built this raised bed garden (from kit), filled it with tomatoes, peppers, squash, carrots, all grown from seed.

JR

I got most of the garden planted (from seeds too) - squash to the left of me, tomatoes to the right, beans and peas stuck in the middle.

Attachments

• garden-2020.jpg
    garden-2020.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 44
analag said:
seeing white people gun down my people

I see it too Rowan. 

Ahmaud Arbery  :'(

Compared to that, nothing I've built, thought about building, or done matters at all.

Ahmaud Arbery  :'(

Sucks :-\

I heard the attorney here in FL that defended George Zimmerman is getting ready to fight for a family of a teen .....
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-ne-attorney-george-zimmerman-teen-killed-sanford-burglary-20200508-xv7kyeci2rhb3oe2pk52zapjpe-story.html

I built a pillow fort  ;).  I also went on a vacation and travelled to many exotic destinations such los balconies, las cocinas, and los Baños.  It was amazing. Los Balconies  at night is pretty, I get a whole view of the backyard. 

Some guy is paying me $750 to build him a tube pre amp, he even supplied the case. this is for his home entertainment system. Easy cash, I sold one to his buddy about 20yrs ago and they have been asking for more ever since and I just decided to do it.  I resisted because I only like to build for myself. Not good, heh? So that's what's next.

With my activistic endevours lately ,the electronic side of my brain is more or less shut down ,
weather also has been splendid so I'm tending to get stuck into outdoor activities.
Still plenty on the long finger electronics wise as usual , things that lend favourable harmonics when driven mostly , the winder is waiting for rainey days ,but no rush there either .

Raised bed made from scaffold planking houses at least a dozen herbs , polytunnel type structures and rain water harvesting are next , last year we had a hose pipe ban first time ever , this years looking like a heat wave , IBC pallets can be found for about 50 euros ,holds a 1000 liters ,can be stacked, plumbed up so you have 2 meters of 'head' preasure , will require a small whale submersible pump to circulate and airate to prevent microbiological takeover  which I hope to be able to pulse from a small solar panel /battery circuit , inspiration on that most welcome .

I finished a EL34 single-ended guitar amplifier recently. Preamp is 6SJ8 into 6SN7 for lovely creamy overdrive, rectifier is 6X5 (but I used the russian equivalents for all of them). I always wanted to try low-µ triodes for distortion, plus all octal tubes looks good and is nice to build. The  irons are all  wound by myself as well.

Another project that was completed recently is a foot activated bypass for wah pedals. I never liked the normal footswitch where you have to press down in toe position, it seems a lot more natural to me to just put the foot on the pedal to activate it. So years ago I played around with a capacitive touch solution, but couldn't get it to work fully reliably. A year or two ago I encountered this cheap resistive pressure sensor. It is so thin it can be easily integrated under the rubber mat of the pedal, signal handling and switching is done by a discrete Schmitt trigger and opto-MOS relays. Works great and finally made the pedal fun for me to use.

That is such a clean build ^^^ Great job Volker

The wah idea sounds fantastic as well. I remember seeing this feature on some wahs but to design it all DIY... very cool

EL34 single-ended guitar amplifier

That is a beautiful build.  I have wanted to build a single ended amp for some time now.  Is the design from the web or your own?  What is the output transformer input impedance?  I have some mallards and valvo 34s that have no mate and so would like to build an octal SE to use and enjoy them. 

Hello

I recently built a stronger conviction than before than humanity really F...UP  ;D

:-X
Zam

Been working on this for a while...Replacement PSU for an Altec M11 "Coke Bottle" microphone.  Used a mix of modern and vintage components, going for a look close to the original P518A supply.

Inside is a vintage Stancor power transformer, unregulated DC filament and B+ with modern components, UTC A-12 for the output (original Altecs are just too expensive).

Attachments

• Altec PSU.jpg
    Altec PSU.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 31
Back