What have you Built Recently

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fazer said:

I have never been a fan of the hidley designed rooms. Places like the tracking room in Nashville make for great specs on paper, and look impressive, but at the end of the day  no reflection control rooms are hard to get used to.  makes the music suffer if you are not used to it. 

Today I'm  building a pizza using fresh veggies from my garden.

Tomatoes are cut up and simmering down into a DIY pizza sauce ( the house reeks of garlic and I love it).

I am thinking of trying some squash on my pizza because I have so many of them.

Dough is already cold proofing in the fridge...

===

Probably not what you are thinking about but I also built and shipped a drum tuner to Italy this morning so at least a few drummers survived the pandemic.

JR

PS: If messing with fireworks be careful...

Attachments

• veggiesDuJour.pdf
    367.2 KB · Views: 10
I built a staircase to the sleeping loft in the mountain cabin. We were tired of lifting the dogs in and out of bed as they couldn’t get up the ladder.

The loft and staircase are built from 80/20. I used cedar decking as the mattress platform. I also used cedar as the step tops. I still need to make the first step  from the cedar decking which will sit on the floor and be a landing.

Are you posting about aluminium 80/20? that is expensive. 

Gus said:
Are you posting about aluminium 80/20? that is expensive.

Yes. It’s expensive but it can be reused. I ‘ve repurposed a  lot of it. If I had built with wood  the stuff I no longer needed would have been thrown away. Another advantage is that it’s lightweight and goes together with a hex key. I was able to build a shed when it was difficult just to get on the land. Setting up power tools would have been impossible.

Heikki said:

I've been asked in a PM if I sell PCB boards for this build. I don't sell them but here are the gerber files if anybody wants to use them.
https://ghr.fi/guitaramps/trinceton/princetonreverbo350x110.zip

Schematic and layout
https://ghr.fi/guitaramps/trinceton/princeton.pdf
https://ghr.fi/guitaramps/trinceton/layoutprinceton.pdf

JohnRoberts said:
I built this raised bed garden (from kit), filled it with tomatoes, peppers, squash, carrots, all grown from seed.

JR

I mentioned that my neighbor's friend gave me a tiny seedling of a cherry tomato....  I about killed it by not doing anything with it for a couple of weeks. But I saw it still had some life in it. I put it in a bigger pot and man this thing just goes crazy.... I get 8 or 10 tomatoes every couple/few  days and don't really do much of anything... I need to figure out some kind of trellis for it..... Definitely didn't think this through.....

I like to cut them up and throw some spice coconut vinegar Pinoy sauce on them as a side when I'm not eating them raw....

Attachments

• ct.jpg
    ct.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 11
These are two TAB V376a preamps:
One needs further observation, but the other one works fine and sounds realy good!
:)

kkckg54c.jpg

3554y5s5.jpg

rxo5zc32.jpg

v2ac4nip.jpg

I don't know if this counts as a recent build but I have been making progress on dialing in my living room (poor man's home theater) system.

I have re-coned the woofers in 4 of the 6 (older) speakers used in my 5.1 surround system.

Some time ago I upgraded to 6 channels of Bruno Putzey's Hypex class D amp modules (nice). The noise floor of the amps were dead silent with my first two cheap surround decoders, but my most recent upgrade (to gain remote volume control) began exhibiting a low level buzz/hum.  :'(

Since I needed a gain stage to boost my decoders 1V output to 2.5V required to drive the hypex amps to full scale, I first considered adding a differential stage to that buffer. The remedy for my noise floor issue was easier than that. The Hypes amp modules have universal switching power supplies that also put out 5V @2A to power external devices. Powering the decoder from the Hypex power supply effectively bonded the two grounds together and the noise floor is now dead silent.  8)

So now all that remains is boosting up the signal to 2.5V and maybe adding some blinky lights. When I was using 3 hifi stereo amps the front panel meters were nice especially when my early decoders would go rogue.

My current thinking is running the boost stage from the 5V rail. The power amps are differential input (probably balanced), so driving the amp inputs with two opposite polarity op amp feeds will easily get me to the 2.5V FS. Rail to rail op amps help  to... the OPA2156 chips look pretty sweet, and cost is not a stopper for a one off DIY project.

Next is blinky lights and I don't really need them... but I'd like at least a low level signal present indicator for each output. Perhaps a diode or network to detect a dB or 2 before clipping, one LED will probably be adequate for that. One more intermediate level LED might give me some relative channel level status.  So perhaps a -20dB and -10dB LED on ever channel and one -3dB LED for all channels.

JR   

Did you re-cone the speakers yourself JR? i've tried it a couple times but I am useless, my cones will no longer move after I replace the coil/cone.

user 37518 said:
Did you re-cone the speakers yourself JR? i've tried it a couple times but I am useless, my cones will no longer move after I replace the coil/cone.
Sorry, I misspoke, I actually didn't re-cone the speakers but only replaced the surrounds that had shredded after decades sitting idle.

Apparently replacing surrounds is a much easier task....  Before the glue set up I confirmed that the voice coils were not rubbing, all good.

----
Did you use shims to center the voice coil in the gap?  Sounds harder...

JR

scott2000 said:
I mentioned that my neighbor's friend gave me a tiny seedling of a cherry tomato....  I about killed it by not doing anything with it for a couple of weeks. But I saw it still had some life in it. I put it in a bigger pot and man this thing just goes crazy.... I get 8 or 10 tomatoes every couple/few  days and don't really do much of anything... I need to figure out some kind of trellis for it..... Definitely didn't think this through.....

I like to cut them up and throw some spice coconut vinegar Pinoy sauce on them as a side when I'm not eating them raw....
Good for you. Maybe you won't get overwhelmed with just one plant. I stopped planting cherry and pear tomatoes a number of years ago because it was hard for my wife and I to even keep up with the output of one or two plants, what with the other large tomatoes for salads, sandwiches, salsa etc, and I really hate to waste food.

crazydoc said:
Good for you. Maybe you won't get overwhelmed with just one plant. I stopped planting cherry and pear tomatoes a number of years ago because it was hard for my wife and I to even keep up with the output of one or two plants, what with the other large tomatoes for salads, sandwiches, salsa etc, and I really hate to waste food.
I found that I can give surplus vegetables (like excess tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers) to my neighbors... they don't mind at all.  8)

I will just cut up and eat a ripe tomato by itself for a morning snack... I'm down to only three maters on my window sill at the moment. Lately I have been picking them at the first sign of ripening because the birds were helping themselves, even trying to eat green ones.  I bought a new batch of bird netting and they seem well protected now. 

Even through the old bird netting from last year, a friggin bird got my first fig of the season,  :mad: I got the second fig,  ;D and tightened up the coverage... Lots of figs coming this year but the birds really like my figs, so I have to monitor closely, they don't stay on the tree long after ripe..

My squash and cucumber plants have just spread out across my yard ignoring the boundary of the raised bed...

Next year I am going to do a proper garden more spread out... My too many tomato plants stole sunlight from my too many pepper plants. Next year they will all get their own space.

I am very pleased with my first season results, and more coming.

JR

Back