500 Series Panel With Blind Holes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbuskov

I have been researching 500 series mechanical design and came across the Mecury7 Reverb from Meris, that has an interesting feature: The front panel has blind threaded holes on the back that are used to attach the PCB  bracket, so the screws are not visible on the front (see the attached image).

I didn't think it was possible to do this with 3mm aluminium, and I wonder if anyone done something like this with hand tools?

Also, I wonder if this is something that most manufacturers would be able to do, or if it require special capabilities?

Attachments

• Meris.png
    Meris.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 69
Hello

I don't see the utility of this in the picture you show ?!
L plate is already well fixed to frontpanel with all the pot
maybe this is for frame contact/continuity ?

What is your use case reason for this ?
By hand I suppose you need a special tool as threatening tool I know are not flat at extremity (unlike milling) which make it difficult for thin panel.
You can also consider stud insert, for mechanical fixing point that you don't want to see at front side.

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hello

I don't see the utility of this in the picture you show ?!
L plate is already well fixed to frontpanel with all the pot
maybe this is for frame contact/continuity ?

Best
Zam

I am not sure the front panel is attached by the pots. The knobs look smaller than the diameter of the pot nuts. I suspect the rear of the panel is bored out so the nuts fit inside the front panel and the pots are only screwed to the L frame. That's why you need a separate method of attaching the front panel to the L frame.

I think Schaeffer will do both operations for you.

Cheers

Ian

If anyone buys one of these I would be grateful if you could tell me the make/model number of the push button switches they use. I am struggling to find ones with the right height and button size to go with the vertical POTs likes theirs that I use.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
If anyone buys one of these I would be grateful if you could tell me the make/model number of the push button switches they use. I am struggling to find ones with the right height and button size to go with the vertical likes theirs that I use.

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian

maybe this one ?
https://www.e-switch.com/product-catalog/illuminated/product-lines/tl1240-series-illuminated-tact-switches#.XrkNfIWBgy4

except the cap shape that is not in the datasheet, the body can match

Cheers
Zam

Ah, I had forgotten they are illuminated and probably momentary. I need latching and illumination is nice but not essential. The nearest I can find is the TL2230 which I am using at ther moment.

And back on topic, the Schaeffer manual says:

"You can configure the "Threaded drilled hole for standard screws" not only as a through hole, but also as a blind hole with adjustable depth and in both cases also place this on the reverse side of the panel.

The program monitors the values you have set and asks you to correct them if manufacturing inconsistencies arise."

Cheers

Ian

Hello

yes you'r right Ian

I just check in FPD and you can thread blind hole

For the OP question about hand work on this, I stay sceptical

Best
Zam

Back