Netflix Phising attempt

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I recieved the third email from Netlfix, the previous two I simply marked as spam and binned as I hadn't signed up with them for anything or even ever gone onto their website ,never mind leaving them my email address to allow them to spam me. At the end of the email I opened yesterday was a grey box saying the reason you have been sent this email is you set up an account , but I didnt do any such thing .

So , I get online and go to the webage of Netfux via the link provided in the email , its all legit , I find a chat now option , click it and end up having nearly an hours worth of beating around the bush with a customer service agent , I provided them with what looked like a unique code which was also included in the email . They kept asking for my email address ,which I refused to give them . Over the course of the discussion the customer service person and I agreed that it wouldnt make sense for someone to set up an account for me ,but in the end because I wouldnt voluenteer my email address to them there was nothing they could do , on the other hand if I willingly handed them over my email they were probably within their rights to process my data and add me to their mailing list , catch 22 and after just short of an hour and a lot of toing and froing the chat session ended .

I had a poke around online to see if anyone else had a similar experience and found this,

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/etdn9o/finish_signing_up_email_but_i_didnt_try_to_sign_up/

Just wondering if anyone here had a similar thing happen , also any suggestions as to who I might complain to as there is a data protection issue arrises out of this, I see Netflix is incorporated in the Neatherlands but the email seems to have originated from the US sudsidiary .

Back