Channel Strip Project (API+Pultec+1176)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A typical api style pre might have 40 dB gain from the opamp.  But don't forget the input transformer adds another 18-20 dB. So you still get close to 60 dB gain even without the output transformer.

But it's definitely good to consider the overall gain staging as it can help cut down on parts and overall cost.  You may not even need the typical makeup gain stage after the pultec filters if they are always feeding an 1176 style compressor.

john12ax7 said:
A typical api style pre might have 40 dB gain from the opamp.  But don't forget the input transformer adds another 18-20 dB. So you still get close to 60 dB gain even without the output transformer.

But it's definitely good to consider the overall gain staging as it can help cut down on parts and overall cost.  You may not even need the typical makeup gain stage after the pultec filters if they are always feeding an 1176 style compressor.

That's the kind of thoughts I'm having. Since it will be one "unified" device there's probably a couple of stages that won't be required, at least that would be great.

I've also read somewhere (and heard it here from you) that the output tx only add 6db, so I guess that won't matter that much. We'll see.

The output transformer in a 312 is a part of the sound and provides the drive for the pultec along with balance.  I would keep it.  The 1176 does not need the input transformer (pad UTC 08) so I would loose that.  Also compression on everything all the time is not necessary for me if the artist has a nice touch so bypass is as important as the processing.  But I like breath in the sound or dynamics and a pop world may not live there. Anyway I’m just saying that pounding everything is not as important as say the bass kick snare and LV.  But other things I like weaving around the foundation elements.  Opinions vary.  Also it’s nice having a few preamps with different character.  Mind you I have a 24 channel API and I find the quick transient mid sound (in your face), is not what I’m after on all instruments.  The avid pres I have in one of my I/Os sound great on a acoustic guitar with a 1/2 in  condenser like a 451 or km84.  Anyway a neve preamp On a few channels and a couple of green pre would be good also.  1176’s are nice but every channel?  Mind you I’m old and so old school.  Anyway,  What do I know. I like 3A’s on vocals and api 525’s on guitars way better than modern 527’s. Just saying ???

I could see leaving the 1176 in all the time but with the usual input level control so that you can engage it more or less or not at all.  That will give the channel a fairly predictable upper limit on output level which could be nice. Not sure I would use the transformer in between. It's just not going to be fully appreciated there as opposed to on the output with another 2520 using whatever the usual API output circuit is. That's what I did in my channel anyways (although I just used a regular op amp driving the tranfo).

Back