today's "why don't they just do this"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
These days with so many talking heads on TV teleconferencing into multiple person panels, the delays between asking and answering questions is irritating to me... Of course this is expected when reporting from the other side of the planet, but not from across town.

These TV shows all have copious commercial interruptions, so why not run the entire show through a short delay beginning with the commercial run time to fill up a buffer with show. During presentation they could easily FF through dead air tightening up the show dramatically. This FF through dead air, could almost be automated, but not heavy lifting.

This is routinely done off-line in post production, but using the commercial intervals in near real time seems like an easy opportunity, to squeeze more show into the show, only deleting dead air.

JR

PS: They also make technology that can speed up or stretch out video with natural speech pitch restored to normal, in case they run out of time near the end of the show.

JohnRoberts said:
These days with so many talking heads on TV teleconferencing into multiple person panels, the delays between asking and answering questions is irritating to me... Of course this is expected when reporting from the other side of the planet, but not from across town.

These TV shows all have copious commercial interruptions, so why not run the entire show through a short delay beginning with the commercial run time to fill up a buffer with show. During presentation they could easily FF through dead air tightening up the show dramatically. This FF through dead air, could almost be automated, but not heavy lifting.

This is routinely done off-line in post production, but using the commercial intervals in near real time seems like an easy opportunity, to squeeze more show into the show, only deleting dead air.

JR

PS: They also make technology that can speed up or stretch out video with natural speech pitch restored to normal, in case they run out of time near the end of the show.
They may do that if making better content was their concern.  Actually, content is just a necessary evil for the good progress of advertisement.
They may change if enough people complained about it, but not enough people actually care, I think.
I don't watch live TV anymore, always on Time Shift...

abbey road d enfer said:
They may do that if making better content was their concern.  Actually, content is just a necessary evil for the good progress of advertisement.
They may change if enough people complained about it, but not enough people actually care, I think.
I don't watch live TV anymore, always on Time Shift...
I watch business news channel(s) in the background while working at my 'puter.

I use a DVR so I routinely FF through commercials, but if the quality of the broadcast deteriorates enough they will lose ratings. This seems like an almost free opportunity to improve the production values. Years ago this would have involved expensive frame stores and the like, but modern gear is easier to manipulate.

JR

JohnRoberts said:

JR

Editing interviews will only highten distrust in the media. That's one good reason to stay away from it.

living sounds said:
Editing interviews will only highten distrust in the media. That's one good reason to stay away from it.
truncating dead air, is far from editing.... The only thing people might notice is a more natural flow.

JR

living sounds said:
In today's environment? I doubt it...
speaking of today's environment you weren't setting me up to discuss the Barr (attorney general ) quote that was edited unfairly?

Chuck Todd (NBC) apologized on air, but didn't accept blame (suggesting that someone else in his organization did the selective editing). Of course the damage is already done even with the apology, but that is better than nothing.

JR

PS: Movie technology exists to make very convincing fakes, at some point we need to question what we see too.  That will be a bonanza for the conspiracy nuts.  8)

JohnRoberts said:
PS: Movie technology exists to make very convincing fakes, at some point we need to question what we see too.  That will be a bonanza for the conspiracy nuts.  8)

A lot of people are obviously so inept at judjing reality that movie technology isn't necessary at all to make them believe stuff that isn't there. Youtube's and social media's algorithms that feed people one badly made conspiracy video after the other have been doing massive harm for many years now, and in the current situation it is only getting worse.

living sounds said:
A lot of people are obviously so inept at judjing reality that movie technology isn't necessary at all to make them believe stuff that isn't there. Youtube's and social media's algorithms that feed people one badly made conspiracy video after the other have been doing massive harm for many years now, and in the current situation it is only getting worse.
I have read a couple books over the last few months about "persuasion", nominally for advertising/sales, but the same techniques are routinely used in politics.

Our human perception of reality is not very objective or always logical.....  and easily swayed.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I have read a couple books over the last few months about "persuasion", nominally for advertising/sales, but the same techniques are routinely used in politics.

That's certainly true for the US, where showmanship always played a bigger role. But not so much in other countries. These days, here in Germany people, when it comes down to it, tend much more to prefer their politicians to be boring and serious and their cars boring and economical. Bad memories WRT "persuasion" still linger in the collective memory here...

living sounds said:
That's certainly true for the US, where showmanship always played a bigger role. But not so much in other countries. These days, here in Germany people, when it comes down to it, tend much more to prefer their politicians to be boring and serious and their cars boring and economical. Bad memories WRT "persuasion" still linger in the collective memory here...
I wouldn't call Angela Merkel's policies all that boring.

In free countries it is the work of governments to gain the consent of the governed when they can't use simple force. Even authoritarian governments try to use persuasion as easier/cheaper than operating a police state.

Extremism still exists but your nation's collective memory should serve as warning for all paying attention. 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I wouldn't call Angela Merkel's policies all that boring.

I didn't talk about policies. But they don't do anywhere the theatrics here. Much less advertising. Persuasion is more a thing of presenting the facts.

But I won't deny it has gotten worse here, too. Germans are buying a lot more of the blasted SUVs they don't actually need. Oh, well.

living sounds said:
I didn't talk about policies. But they don't do anywhere the theatrics here. Much less advertising. Persuasion is more a thing of presenting the facts.

But I won't deny it has gotten worse here, too. Germans are buying a lot more of the blasted SUVs they don't actually need. Oh, well.
I have visited Germany more than any other foreign country since 1970. First with US army on NATO maneuvers, then later more times than I can easily count for business (Frankfurt Musuk Messe, and traveling around the country with reps to visit music stores).

Indeed the culture is different informed by a different history, but we are all similar too...  People buy too many SUVs and pickup trucks here.

JR 

Latest posts

Back