jensenmann

Re: Amek Angela Frequency Response
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 03:45:56 PM »
Why would you want bipolar caps? These are two electrolytics in series. This doubles most parasitics and increases price. If you want to get anal about it then measure DC across all coupling caps under all gain conditions to see if the original orientation is right. If an electrolytic has the wrong orientation then just use it the other direction.
Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

analogguru

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 03:52:53 PM »
... If you want to get anal about it then measure DC across all coupling caps under all gain conditions to see if the original orientation is right. If an electrolytic has the wrong orientation then just use it the other direction.
I think this is a little bit more time consuming than using bipolars.... and without any DC-(Bias) a "normal" electrolytic will be wrongly polarized every half cycle of an AC-Signal.

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 03:34:52 AM »
Thank you all for your comments, explanations and suggestions.
After reading Ian and John Roberts comments I convinced that there's no actual reason to increase the values of the original design.
Also bipolar caps / MLCC  caps will cost me too much money...
I think I'll stick to the original values and order those capacitors:

https://www.mouser.co.il/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?State=EDIT&ProjectGUID=09b67f0f-96c7-4e1b-be4b-f9be36a19a46

I'm using this mixer in a home studio that not working 24/7 so I believe that recapping the board with those capacitors will let it works like it should for a long time in reasonable price.

jensenmann

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 05:16:18 AM »
I think this is a little bit more time consuming than using bipolars.... and without any DC-(Bias) a "normal" electrolytic will be wrongly polarized every half cycle of an AC-Signal.

Well, one of the two electrolytics in a non polar electrolytic will always be wrongly biased, no matter which it´s surrounded by.
Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

ruffrecords

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 05:27:03 AM »

A correctly sized coupling capacitor will have a very small voltage across it at ALL points in the waveform. That's how capacitors work.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'