Monitoring system updates

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmintz

Hi all,

I've had basically the same monitoring setup for about ten years now - the output of my console fed into a conrad-johnson tube PV1 preamp, a White 4700 EQ, Marchand XM-9 Crossover, and a Bryston 4B (all connected unbalanced) feeding Westlake BBSM-4s. Sometimes I switch the Westlakes with a pair of Quested H-108s. I also use an old Mac 50-watt mono transistor power amp to feed a home-made subwoofer.

I really only needed the preamp for input switching and tape monitoring loops for running cassette copies and using the turntable. There have always been some problems: at low volumes the stereo image gets right-heavy. I've never been sure if it was an acoustic problem or a bad pot, or something else. Lately I've also been having real problems with one side cutting out, buzzes, leakage between inputs in the preamp, and I decided it was time to make some changes. I hardly turn on the cassette machines these days, and I can use the patchbay to connect them if I need to.

So I built a kit for a balanced, stereo, 46-step series attenuator with 1% resistors and a Shallco switch from Marchand Electronics. Brad Blackwood had some made and was very happy with them. I also got much advice from NYDave - thanks again. The White EQ can be connected to a balanced system with no mods, but the Marchand crossover needed to be changed. The circuit boards have provisions for active balanced inputs with a trace cut and XLR plugs. On the outputs I used a pair of Cinemag CMOB-1H transformers. Marchand's enclosures are designed to work with many of his different products, so there a lot of holes already drilled that worked for my purpose and saved a ton of my least favorite work. For instance, I had RCA connectors on mine, but the box comes punched with the screwholes in place for Switchcraft XLRs. I just had to punch out a larger hole for the body of the XLR and I was done. I wish I was capable of that kind of forethought. The Bryston already has balanced inputs, so just some new cables needed there and my whole system is balanced.

The net result is a very substantial sonic difference - the stereo image is stable at all volumes and very much clearer. The noise level is almost inaudible and is much softer than all of my damn fans. I like listening to my room again.

:thumb: :sam: :guinness:

Here's Marchand's URL: Marchand

Hey Seth,
Sounds great, I'm doing something similar, all mucho heavy duty shallco switching etc. I'm pretty excited to get it going, but also doing it on an ultra low budget here, cause I'm not in a hurry.

I have all balanced switching throughout and I just need to find one more 4p3t switch for speaker selection, speaker A, B, or C.

OR DO I?

I have a 1p3t shallco, maybe I can just switch the hots on lines that feed my amps.

This might be better than switching both hot and cold, maybe this will keep my other amplifiers from humming when they are switched OUT.

Anyone tried this?

I've got a fair amount of work to do on this box before I get to where I can test this, so If someone has experience here, I'd be glad to hear aout it.

Sleeper

Latest posts

Back