Home Dentistry

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Right now, all the dentists in the UK are closed. You can phone them and get advice but face to face visits are out. So I was pretty annoyed when a week ago biting on a piece of chicken Kiev caused about a quarter of one of my back molars to fall off - no idea what happened to it; I probably swallowed it without realising it. The big problem is the edge of the remaining tooth is very sharp and has caused a large and painful ulcer under my tongue. At one point it was so bad that just talking hurt. So I ordered a couple of tooth repair kits on line. The first one to arrive, called Toofy Peg, had some white stuff that you had to stick in a cup of boiling water for about 30 seconds, then remove, roll into a ball and press into the cavity. As soon as it hardened it fell out - it did not stick to my tooth. So I called my dentist who said she would post me some of the stuff they use. This stuff looks and feels like blue tack and is set off by saliva but you have to be careful not to get too much saliva on it so they include a couple of those cotton wool cylinders you stick in your mouth to keep it dry. I have a small mouth so by the time a got a couple of those in there wasn't much room for my finger with the bit of tacky stuff on the bottom off it and for some reason my mouth decided to rain saliva. Anyway on the second attempt I did manage to get the stuff in the hole and hold it there and keep it dry while it went off. It lasted a few hours but fell out later that evening whilst eating. So next I tried the second kit I got off the internet. This one can with plastic applicators and a thing to push the stuff into the cavity. Also it was a two part adhesive - this was more my kind of kit - a bit like araldite for teeth. The mixed epoxy was very sticky but you had to wait until it felt like blue tack before sticking it in and then you had to hold it in place for about 5 minutes while it went off. Again on the second attempt I managed to get it in and it set. This one lasted a whole day until I cleaned my teeth the next evening and it just fell out.

So, I am getting pretty fed up by now. No chance of getting this fixed by a dentist and little chance of any of the kits providing a lasting fix.  I am living on Farleys Rusks, soup and other slop that needs no chewing. Even so just swallowing manages to scrape the ulcer across the sharp edge of the tooth.  I have taken to chewing gum and sticking it over the sharp edge most of the day to try to give the ulcer a chance to heal.

Then  this morning my dear wife offered to have a go at filing down the sharp edge of the tooth (she read of a similar case to mine in the newspaper where a dentist had recommended filing it). I had already tried with a piece of emery paper but it soon got so wet it was useless. So she had a go this morning with an emery board. After several goes it definitely feels less sharp. It still catch the ulcer occasionally but most of the time I am pain free. I can chew on both sides of my mouth and swallow painlessly.

We have now gathered together a small horde of torture instruments filing implements and tomorrow we will see if we can reduce its sharpness some more.

Cheers

Ian

I did a little diy dentistry last year. The stuff I procured was called Prime Dent.... Worked really great but was a bit of a process like your last one mentioned but with extra steps..... My dentist had a bear of a time getting it out...lol

What goofed me up was putting too much in and waiting too long to file it to where my bite was normal.... Every time I'd go to eat, it felt like I scooped up a marble with my food and would chomp down on it every now and then..... Sucked.....

My wife hasd one of those glass files and it seemed to stay pretty abrasive.... Not like those cheap ones that fill your mouth with dirt....

Good luck with your tooth.... Don't let it get infected in there..... it may already be (why did it break?) but hasn't hit a nerve yet..... sealing it in could possibly create more problems than trying to keep it cleaned out..... but I wouldn't know... I only play a dentist in my bathroom..

scott2000 said:
I did a little diy dentistry last year. The stuff I procured was called Prime Dent.... Worked really great but was a bit of a process like your last one mentioned but with extra steps..... My dentist had a bear of a time getting it out...lol
I am going to look again on the net to see what other offerings there are.
What goofed me up was putting too much in and waiting too long to file it to where my bite was normal.... Every time I'd go to eat, it felt like I scooped up a marble with my food and would chomp down on it every now and then..... Sucked.....
That's what I did with the second one but the excess was along the gum rather than on top of the tooth. Felt like I had gum in my mouth while eating.
My wife hasd one of those glass files and it seemed to stay pretty abrasive.... Not like those cheap ones that fill your mouth with dirt....
Mine has one too. We plan to try it tomorrow.
Good luck with your tooth.... Don't let it get infected in there..... it may already be (why did it break?) but hasn't hit a nerve yet..... sealing it in could possibly create more problems than trying to keep it cleaned out..... but I wouldn't know... I only play a dentist in my bathroom..
I am 69 years old and still have most of my own teeth. This particular molar has had extensive amalgam fillings  in my youth. Five or so years ago the amalgam fell out and was replaced. The dentist said at the time that teeth like that one often do not take kindly to being refilled and can crack in time. So what is exposed is filling. There is no pain or swelling so I don't think there is an infection - if there was the Covid rules say I could see a dentist!

Cheers

Ian

Have you tried to sand off the sharp edges with a nail file (sandpaper)?

Is there an exposed nerve (sensitive to cold)?

The dentists should reopen before too long.

Good luck, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

JR

ruffrecords said:
I am going to look again on the net to see what other offerings there are.

This is the one I used..... Not from this place but, it's the same.... I think the etch is important iirc...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Prime-Dent-Dental-Chemical-Self-Cure-Composite-Resin-Kit-5gm-5gm-w-Bonding-FDA/292596628728?hash=item44201e3cf8&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAADcP8weFsdxMp353Q7Ok4tNtnEl5yeCoRqWDvi3kpgFG9khSVpCGj93PHjdWgk2iNmKziV6iVojlnQgpcO4zEj8zEJnndapwWJBvNWYIbwd05BwW1yIs9h1ongdityjuGYEDACDHxJpnzZju1USTcG%2FEb1Jppbo1wbVWvej5s%2FGH%2FnLGdyEMLasCNKhRfSb9NIhwoqt2vRbI2s5GriDdFEM%2B0MyRTQtQeIJ8QgY3peWkqhqV8dVtGbOx4jZs6kJr8mlc8aWAWtgqhHm3OWL6zUO0G3Je%2FEooVl2u5XGdWuP7PvxGbd8x9ILHQwY18fF8uL5HvJVyWrJyF284knx5kOAbQCGN93IdwoSZRXF13vxPFQtq7N2qOJd%2B7n7G2tY%2BWeyuu6icpRRWE40AK91UucuTNCTWqxsBFN97XABByhwb9spzOpYMFNOGsLlYVc404cmi9Yj4JojYl5%2BIyNUZs1UUwaMLC2P5kum9ONY2%2FxzPhhRv39i1qpuFXPMY18VeFXbZrTKEfi5LYBL9rxslB0xg8hzUIcRqFiGYxaMTAjmJhMsc0iQaNX4CEg9C5mSJ5K8wSWWaDw5QZRRsCL8ZNg48PhbqsghxS53EkqOr0w%2B38mux9I5AMgVcucr61w4OIKokPokv5D1MAwg4uk4Gp1RHS9flrqZUYOg%2BKgXZknZiq5yA5lLD3XTNsOHMPJwTw8N2q0nygOfkfjZ1L%2BCP80dOuzVS7BkpDcUzjI9TgKkHUT%2FHnO2BBzNm13og63ZJtvpS8rIEGxs6aOdtovriJ6ZMYd56LorG6WKIgFbZOOKplVovjl6TL%2BituOIRt0hq6ZeBx15f22fpFExYHGaxZVJJsVE2sGHhgwMox9lW0TLviey62JbLNY%2F%2F8wwJq4nezsDjdcaNSRMTFTZRf5v4SbuQSxbANXiBIv1sC9TuhYUcTOq6WrpIpm1TQvlXZdp8w1lFUUHBWm2pGj48t37lQ8%2BBsTX6o%2FqjJdmgDtUmMNnvN820IGky%2B8tWhroPzryow4gp7X2icpL3m95cmfVXuLNDgqxTB1RRBk5HoJn1YePReJgZXGvIsYJr6NMQCOM87xsV3HCcUsx6QhzTK8FoPBsF5DSkSz%2BVtZ2eZYBUA7R8LkE1R1fz458WbQch%2BvAg0JKO1VBpmssa%2BVS4U8Tir5BAE%3D&checksum=29259662872853327f5ff8a94349abc9f5fa5a9c3136

sounds painful. Also sounds like the root ands nerves are not exposed so things like changes in temperature, wind blowing across the tooth, etc do not seem to harm it. 
|There is a story of the cowboy who lost 2  x teeth due to an animal kick to the face. However they were not completely out, they just got sheered off right at the gum line.  Well the root was exposed and painful. Unable to get to the dentist right away,  the cook found some JB weld.  well JB weld went over the exposed teeth parts  so the cowboy was able to keep on working until he went in to the dentist  later on(not sure how long he went like that).  on one hand it kept out  infections and reduced pain to tolerable, on the other hand the dentist had a bitch of a time trying to remove the jb weld.
I can't say it is true so much as I heard it as a story and is plausible.
Careful with the self dentistry but I am sure you will be o.k. and are smart about it.
good luck....

@pucho

The first session of filing has improved things a lot. I can eat and swallow with virtually no pain and the ulcer feels like it is finally healing up. So we have decided to hold fire on further filing for fear of possibly making things worse. Had bacon and egg for breakfast today and  Thai take-way for dinner tonight. Very nice!

Cheers

Ian

You should be able to get access to an emergency dentist? My missus had a bad molar extracted a couple of weeks ago in Hertford. She had to pay privately for it though (£400.00)!!

I feel your pain because the same thing happened to me about 3 months ago. Big difference is that I was able to see my dentist the next day

I hope your mouth heals up quickly. Probably best to avoid acidic or spicy foods for the time being

ruffrecords said:
@pucho

The first session of filing has improved things a lot. I can eat and swallow with virtually no pain and the ulcer feels like it is finally healing up. So we have decided to hold fire on further filing for fear of possibly making things worse. Had bacon and egg for breakfast today and  Thai take-way for dinner tonight. Very nice!

Cheers

Ian
bacon and eggs? was there baked beans involved? that is part of the traditional English breakfast I am told.

good to hear it is much better.

pucho812 said:
bacon and eggs? was there baked beans involved? that is part of the traditional English breakfast I am told.

good to hear it is much better.

My wife has baked beans with hers. I prefer tinned tomatoes. If we are feeling really reckless we will have a slice of fried bread with it as well  Yummy! When I was a kid, my Dad took me and my sister swimming early on a Sunday morning in the summer. When we got back Mum always had a traditional English breakfast waiting for us. Happy days.

Cheers

Ian

Glad to hear you're feeling better Ian. Bacon and eggs is a good mark of that I'd say!

Although the full English is phenomenally unhealthy, it really is unbeatable comfort food. My fiancée made one with all the stops pulled out for my birthday recently - toast, bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, hash browns and grilled tomatoes - bliss! Not something I'd have more than once or twice a year, mind, but on those special occasions...

TwentyTrees said:
Glad to hear you're feeling better Ian. Bacon and eggs is a good mark of that I'd say!

Although the full English is phenomenally unhealthy, it really is unbeatable comfort food. My fiancée made one with all the stops pulled out for my birthday recently - toast, bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, hash browns and grilled tomatoes - bliss! Not something I'd have more than once or twice a year, mind, but on those special occasions...
A nearly full English can be surprisingly healthy. Egg and bacon are largely protein, tomatoes are fine and we often have mushrooms with ours. Beans can be OK as long they don't have too much added sugar but hash browns are definitely out and bangers (sausages) usually have too much fat even when grilled.

But you are right, it cannot be beaten for comfort value.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
My wife has baked beans with hers. I prefer tinned tomatoes. If we are feeling really reckless we will have a slice of fried bread with it as well  Yummy! When I was a kid, my Dad took me and my sister swimming early on a Sunday morning in the summer. When we got back Mum always had a traditional English breakfast waiting for us. Happy days.

Cheers

Ian
What no bangers and mash?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
What no bangers and mash?

JR

Oh, yes. Bangers and mash are definitely part of our standard weekly menu. I even have a special mashing instrument. And liver and onions and roast beef with Yorkshire pudding...... etc etc etc

Cheers

Ian

ramshackles said:
"If you have fuiji 9, you are a dentist"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgI3Y7gxMO4

Thank you - you beat me to it. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Old Bob M is a story-telling genius

Nick Froome

Back