-24V and +24V from same power supply?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukeofearl

I have a power one 24v power supply that i wired two outputs from. one powers a channel strip that runs on +24v.

now i have a compressor that needs -24v, which just means wiring in reverse.

is there any reason i can't run these two things off the same power supply?

is the power supply single output or double output? what does it provide at its output? From your post I suspect a single output power supply  that has AC input and DC output. 

if the power supply is a standard linear supply  or even switch mode with single output, to get 24 VDC out of it you are grounding one side of the floating output. 
To get bipolar 24VDC you need a second power supply and or a power supply with duel outputs at 24VDC, can build or buy depending on how much work you want to do.  From there it''s a matter of wiring it up.

dukeofearl said:
I have a power one 24v power supply that i wired two outputs from. one powers a channel strip that runs on +24v.

Only if the two units are never connected to or in contact with each other.  It is almost certain that having -24v connected to ground, chassis, etc. on one and +24v similarly connected on the other will cause the PSU to see a dead short.

dukeofearl said:

Unlikely at the same time... each could reference the 24V as positive above system ground, or negative below system system ground. But both at the same time would have ground reference 24V apart.

This might be finesses with cap coupled audio but not simple.

JR

Latest posts

Back