Tannoy TM1 question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I don't know the microphone, but the grill looks very much like the Neumann types.
And the price of the Tannoy TM1 is so low, that it could even be a very nice microphone body for DIY purposes.
(I am almost tempted to buy one, but I promised myself not to buy more microphones...)

I did not want to link a non Tannoy youtubes.
If you use the  search terms you should find youtube videos with images of the grill.

The grill looks more like a Rode type one to me in the other youtube unboxing videos and does not appear to look exactly like what is shown in the Tannoy company links or box art.

Tannoy used to be UK made speakers. Appears the name was sold, what’s in a name?
I agree there may be the sweet smell of a donor mic.

Gus said:
The grill looks more like a Rode type one to me .........

The attached images are both supposed to be of the Tannoy TM1.
The right hand image certainly looks more like a Rode grill ... Maybe there are different issues?

Attachments

• Tannoy TM1 grill.jpg
    Tannoy TM1 grill.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 42
Well, the one on the left is an obvious CGI-render of the microphone, not a photo of a / the real one, so......

In the meantime I tried to find more youtube movies in which the Tannoy TM1 is shown.
And indeed, what I see looks more like the (IMHO not so nice) Rode NT1 headbasket than the headbasket shown in the product presentation by Tannoy.

Capsule looks like it has a K67-style backplate.
As far as I can see there are no de-emphasis components on the PCB.
(The small capacitors are part of the DC/DC converter.)
And even the capsule mount looks very similar to the Rode mount!

Khron said:
TM1 = NT1?
With a newer Rode-style shockmount (almost identical to the SM6)?

Maybe the original NT1? - not the current one, which uses a Rycote lyre capsule mount and the new Rode edge terminated HF6 capsule

Well yes, "obviously" :) I briefly considered mentioning the "hospital blue" colour of those.

rogs said:
Maybe the original NT1? - not the current one, which uses a Rycote lyre capsule mount and the new Rode edge terminated HF6 capsule

gyraf said:
Tannoy was one of the first to go Harmanized - I think we lost them already in '75 or so..
I remember having dealings with the new Tannoy company in the 1970s ... I always had the impression Harman only ever wanted the brand name...they didn't really seem interested in any of the company's actual products at the time.

In those days, 'Tannoy' was a generic word for public address -- rather like  'Hoover' and 'Vaseline' becoming generic names  for their products...
Not sure it's quite so true nowadays? - it was mainly the wartime generation that spoke of  messages and music 'over the Tannoy'....

I did not know that. Do they (parent company)still do any manufacturing in UK?

gyraf said:
Tannoy was one of the first to go Harmanized - I think we lost them already in '75 or so..

signature related

rogs said:
I remember having dealings with the new Tannoy company in the 1970s ... I always had the impression Harman only ever wanted the brand name...they didn't really seem interested in any of the company's actual products at the time.

In those days, 'Tannoy' was a generic word for public address -- rather like  'Hoover' and 'Vaseline' becoming generic names  for their products...
Not sure it's quite so true nowadays? - it was mainly the wartime generation that spoke of  messages and music 'over the Tannoy'....
Tannoy was generic for PA in the UK back in the 70s but they also made the best studio speakers ever - the RED and GOLD series which the majority of UK studios had fitted.

Cheers

Ian

Back