Mixerless

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

As much as I love the look of the hardware mixer in the studio, I have decided ( actually I made that decision a while back ) to delete it completely.  I made a passive summer and a pair of M1 style pre ( initial tests are very much to my liking ) coming out of the pre and going into Behringer's ZMX 2600 distribution thingy. Now I will be able to use my outboard gear on a more consistent basis.  I look forward to shrink wrapping the mixer and putting it in storage hopefully until not man but the apes rule the planet. My next venture will be to hunt old obscure processors to inject toxic grime into my groups, or build em with the worse parts and design because "crappy" is very desirable when placed right!

Clean gain and the sound of low ratio transformers. I love it.  That's the only type pre that I've made in stereo and mono versions.  Improvements can be made to the 918/990 opamp and I have put my spin on it, having made the original style a few times over past 20 some odd years.

Yep, yep. I'm up. I even transformer coupled the input of my custom monitor amp ( I wound the power tranny with two secondaries) and doubled the output transistors with custom heatsink...only gets luke warm.  Who needs to go outside...certainly not me!

analag said:
Yep, yep. I'm up. I even transformer coupled the input of my custom monitor amp ( I wound the power tranny with two secondaries) and doubled the output transistors with custom heatsink...only gets luke warm.  Who needs to go outside...certainly not me!

I love my MCI mixer, I wouldnt get rid of it for anything, besides, where am I going to place my beer while recording? a summer can't do that!

> where am I going to place my beer while recording? a summer can't do that!

Built the summer into a beer-table.

Attachments

• Beer-summer-42.gif
    Beer-summer-42.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 23
Well  I'm currently enjoying rum and beer while checking out the Behringer ZMX2600 that came in today. This completes the transition pending a balanced patch bay to route the outboard stuff.  I think my studio went up in sound quality. If you can't buy an SSL or whatever, just eliminate it completely and gain better fidelity. Gotta luv simplicity! I can't do an orchestra, but I can do a band including live drums. I'm a reggea and hip hop/ R&B guy anyway. Every line is transformer balanced, even the input to my custom monitor amp. In the coming days I will slap together my reference headphone amp with a pair of 990 type opamp I have laying around here somewhere. I have others but for my personal phone I want to go with a one time build...I'm stupid like that, lol.

analag said:
Well  I'm currently enjoying rum and beer while checking out the Behringer ZMX2600 that came in today. This completes the transition pending a balanced patch bay to route the outboard stuff.  I think my studio went up in sound quality. If you can't buy an SSL or whatever, just eliminate it completely and gain better fidelity. Gotta luv simplicity! I can't do an orchestra, but I can do a band including live drums. I'm a reggea and hip hop/ R&B guy anyway. Every line is transformer balanced, even the input to my custom monitor amp. In the coming days I will slap together my reference headphone amp with a pair of 990 type opamp I have laying around here somewhere. I have others but for my personal phone I want to go with a one time build...I'm stupid like that, lol.

Let us know how you like that ZMX2600. What console did you get rid of? just curious...

So there beringer is to have parallel feeds to outboard gear for comparison?  Not sure why that’s necessary.

user 37518 said:
Let us know how you like that ZMX2600. What console did you get rid of? just curious...
My trusty MX8000 which I used for summing. Faders at unity, EQ bypassed. The ZMX2600 sounds awesome or very neutral which is what I wanted.

fazer said:
So there beringer is to have parallel feeds to outboard gear for comparison?  Not sure why that’s necessary.
After coming out of the passive box I go into a mic pre with transformers that is as neutral as possible, from there I have the option to insert outboard gear into the chain, then I go into the ZMX2600. That makes it possible to feed a 2 track, headphone amps and multiple sets of monitors. I can do any funny headphone mixes directly from the 2 outs on the interface. 

analag said:
My trusty MX8000 which I used for summing. Faders at unity, EQ bypassed. The ZMX2600 sounds awesome or very neutral which is what I wanted.

Before I owned my MCI, I used to own one of those MX8000, call me crazy but I really liked the semi-parametric EQ in it, overall I think that console is a great bang for the buck.

Yes it is, and I have owned it for about 24yrs. I had my 2yrs old son strapped in the baby seat when I made the 70 mile round trip to go get it. I think I'm going to shrink wrap it and store it. Not letting it go.

analag said:
Yes it is, and I have owned it for about 24yrs. I had my 2yrs old son strapped in the baby seat when I made the 70 mile round trip to go get it. I think I'm going to shrink wrap it and store it. Not letting it go.

I regret selling mine... nowadays there is no replacement for that console in the same price range/quality and features such as direct outputs.

Back