Line signal to multiple inputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot

I started contemplating on how to integrate summing amp into my studio setup.
Currently I have standard setup consisting of audio interface's outputs fed into line inputs of the console (antelope orion32+ into soundcraft sapphyre). So either I mix in the box or I go all out into console and have all the analog gizmos inserted into it's channels. It's not about wether one is better than other, but I really feel big difference in between ITB (in-the-box) and OTB. But reality is that recalling mixes on analog board is very tricky and that keeps me from using it more often. I sometimes configure individual ins and outs when working ITB to individually access some analog outboard but that's a drag and I mostly avoid it.

So my idea is to integrate summing amp into existing setup. Basically what I'd like to do is to have my line outputs from audio interface split at the patchbay going at the same time into summing amp and into the inputs of the console. I have BFE1175 (very similar to Neumann 475) that is supposed to have 4k75 impedance on it's inputs and my console has around 15k input impedance. And to make things more complicated, my idea is to build two additional inputs (balanced receiver) before the signal enters summing card's inputs to be able to split into aux summing amps (feeding sends to reverbs).

My first question is - if we forget for a moment aux splits - would there be some significant level missbehavior if I simply split the line outputs into two inputs, considering BFE and Soundcraft have different line input impedances?
And what would happen if I add two more splits for aux summing? Should I keep their input impedance lower as BFE's input (2x4k75) or higher as my console has (2x15k)? I was thinking of doing Doug Self's superbal receiver schematic that has 15k input impedance.

I have attached simple drawing of my ideas.
Would that work?

:)

Luka

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 47
We always had "mult" sections of our patch bays - simply four paralleled sockets for when you need to feed different sources at the same time.

With low output impedance from whatever driving it, and relatively high input impedances, no problem.

Just don't drive multiple Pultes's or similar 600-ohms stuff..

/JAkob E.

gyraf said:
We always had "mult" sections of our patch bays - simply four paralleled sockets for when you need to feed different sources at the same time.
With low output impedance from whatever driving it, and relatively high input impedances, no problem.

I second what Jakob said,
but do you really need to have the splits going to the summing and the console at the same time?

It would not be the situation were you or use on or the other?
Because if that's the situation you could have the Line Outs normalled on the patchbay to the summing box and insert bantams when you want to use the console (or vice-versa)

Whoops said:
but do you really need to have the splits going to the summing and the console at the same time?

Because if that's the situation you could have the Line Outs normalled on the patchbay to the summing box and insert bantams when you want to use the console (or vice-versa)

I had this exact set up for years. Worked well once I got my head around it.

Whoops said:

It would be a patchbay nightmare! I'm using 32 channel interface, so it's 32 patch cables. Then add those patch cables that insert outboard processors. I thought about it and I'd rather build a switcher with 32 relays and dsub ins and outs if there's no other solution than to have messy patchbay.

:)

Luka

gyraf said:

Just don't drive multiple Pultes's or similar 600-ohms stuff..

/JAkob E.
I just received my "mult" PCBs. This allows to mult 2x4 signals. Very handy.

mult.jpg

multpcb.jpg

Back