SPDT Dip switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I need a SPDT switch on a PCB (meaning as small as possible) to switch tube heaters between 6 and 12 VDC. I thought of using a dip switch but I can't find any dip SPDT with 3 pins...
I want to do this (see attachment please)

Thanks
Sono

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_201823~3.jpg
    IMG_20200528_201823~3.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 10
Keep in mind though, that you'll probably want one rated for (or preferably, well above) the DC amperage circulating through there.

DIP switches not normally good for heater current.

When you "need" a DT switch, you can use two ST switches and some CARE. (Don't engage 6V and 12V at the same time.)

sonolink said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I need a SPDT switch on a PCB (meaning as small as possible) to switch tube heaters between 6 and 12 VDC. I thought of using a dip switch but I can't find any dip SPDT with 3 pins...
I want to do this (see attachment please)

Thanks
Sono
I guess changing the heater voltage is not something you want to do a hundred times an hour, so why not use good old jumpers?
https://www.harwin.com/products/M50-1900005/
https://www.harwin.com/products/M50-3530342/

abbey road d enfer said:
I guess changing the heater voltage is not something you want to do a hundred times an hour, so why not use good old jumpers?

You're right Abbey. Actually after reading with more care the 12ax7 datasheet I realized its heaters also work at 6vdc in parallel.....so there is no need to change voltage, really.

But of course I never explained the whole idea behind this switch thing!...  :eek:

The idea is to be able to switch between 12ax7s and russian 6nXps, with "the flip of a switch".
Putting the switch inside would be the proper thing to do to avoid "flipping accidents", so I thought of a dip or a sliding one as small as possible.

But as you point out (as wisely as usual hehe) most people won't be changing tube a hundred times an hour, so the jumper is definitely the way to go, and probably some huge CAUTION sign nearby on the PCB (although there is no real danger of frying things like this. At the most there wouldn't be any sound)

As some use to say in my line of work "less is more" hehe
8)

Cheers
Sono

sonolink said:
The idea is to be able to switch between 12ax7s and russian 6nXps, with "the flip of a switch".
Putting the switch inside would be the proper thing to do to avoid "flipping accidents", so I thought of a dip or a sliding one as small as possible.
With a little bit of thought, you can probably find an arrangement that prevents accidents. A pin cannot be occupied by more than one jumper.

Back