AKG C12A Inspired Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is C12A transformer feeler thread. Join to us, if you are interested in Moby's U11 transformer suitable for this cathode follower circuit....

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=76131.0

Do not use electrolytic caps, you need good tantalum ones.
I use the microphone parts capsules and they sound more than adequate.
The transformer is pretty important, 10:1 I think I used if memory serves.
These are nice and small and work well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111683319855
The actual headbasket is quite important, I made my bodies from brass, wasn't all that difficult, but I did try in a normal style head basket and I didn't like the sound.

I got the socket off ebay and most of the other bits, you'll just have to be resourceful and do a lot of searching.

Good luck.
I personally like the Ami Tab C12a kit 🤔

Read the 6 pages of this thread again.
I guess people did not understand when I posted to look at the power supply.

Moby's U11 transformer has been paid for. I haven't forgotten about this project. When the transformer arrives I will continue to contribute to this project. Any help is appreciated.

Gus, if you are still following - If you want people to understand you, communicate more effectively.

Last edited:
hi,

Ive attached the first draft, it measures 45mm x 30mm.

I know the sizes for the caps is wrong, so will look into bigger pad spacings.
the 15uf defo needs more spacing, the 1000pf should be alright along with the 5000pf as you can stand then up rather than layed down flat.
Also the valve i've not put on there as i feel the besy way of getting it in there is with the socket on leads so you can lay it down rather than stand it up.
size wise its about half what im using at the moment!!!

updated
I might have missed something. Is this a layout of the C12A? You are redoing your PCB for these mics? What is your progress?

Moby's transformer arrived a while back and looks beautiful. Ready to start this project up again. Need help with selecting a power supply that works and won't fry my tubes, or cause any of damage. I found an Ali Express body that I might be able to use. Placing the order today and will take measurements of the available space in the body to make a new PCB. If this fails I will go back to the GT-2B idea and take it from there.

Here is the body in question.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...3X&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Moby's transformer arrived a while back and looks beautiful. Ready to start this project up again. Need help with selecting a power supply that works and won't fry my tubes, or cause any of damage. I found an Ali Express body that I might be able to use. Placing the order today and will take measurements of the available space in the body to make a new PCB. If this fails I will go back to the GT-2B idea and take it from there.

Here is the body in question.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...3X&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
I'd love to know if that body ends up being any good. Shuaiyin makes a C414 body too, all metal, it's the one Mic and Mod uses for their "C414" kit (quotes because it's a typical Chinese edge terminated capsule).

There's also some fake Neumann bodies on AliExpress for pretty cheap, I believe they're supposed to be quite solid, but I think they use the Neumann trademark illegally so they're counterfeit mics.

Oh and Takstar has some mics in vaguely C414 looking bodies, you could also try the Superlux LDCs, they're usually in a body that looks like a knock off of the Shure LDCs.

Last edited:
I'd love to know if that body ends up being any good. Shuaiyin makes a C414 body too, all metal, it's the one Mic and Mod uses for their "C414" kit (quotes because it's a typical Chinese edge terminated capsule).

There's also some fake Neumann bodies on AliExpress for pretty cheap, I believe they're supposed to be quite solid, but I think they use the Neumann trademark illegally so they're counterfeit mics.

Oh and Takstar has some mics in vaguely C414 looking bodies, you could also try the Superlux LDCs, they're usually in a body that looks like a knock off of the Shure LDCs.
I will probably save up for the Mic and Mod body, or try to source one for cheaper. I didn't end up getting the 414 style body because of aesthetic reasons.

I did, however, pick up one of the TLM103 bodies that I will inspect and probably post pictures of and take measurements and whatnot, might be able to use that body for something else in the future.

I will probably save up for the Mic and Mod body, or try to source one for cheaper. I didn't end up getting the 414 style body because of aesthetic reasons.

I did, however, pick up one of the TLM103 bodies that I will inspect and probably post pictures of and take measurements and whatnot, might be able to use that body for something else in the future.
IIRC if you get the body Mic and Mod sells directly from Shuaiyin it's under $100.

Back